No announcement yet.

Unprepared.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of interest- A video sure to make those with any experience with first aid, ice climbing or cinematography experience cringe : https://vimeo.com/20549603

"Hey I've climbed ice before, I'll lead this WI4 climb!" "I'll anchor myself in beneath the icefall instead of move out of the way so that way I'll still be a belayer" "Yo, he just took like a 40ft lead fall and hit his spine and head, lets lower him off as quickly a spossible and not stabilize the head or spine for possible trauma!" "Let's butt slide down to the car" "Let's make a video about this!" "Good thing I know I can always trust ice screws! I feel so safe now"

Later... "Whoever this "Will Gadd' guy is, he sure doesn't seem to like our video... He probably has never climbed before" "Hey, Will, can you take us out climbing as long as you promise to make a video with us?"

Ah, hubris

Comment

Just cause you can buy the gear doesn't mean you know what you are doing...ice climbing, cinematography or otherwise.
      #8335W, Solo 46W
      NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
      Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Nol thanks for that!

​Good analysis by Will Gadd: ​http://gravsports.blogspot.ca/2011/0...-climbing.html

Toby Gadd's response sums it up (and pulls no punches).
        Good post, Will. Based on the video at least, those guys need to tone down the macho post-survival drama and think hard about how not to repeat their human water-balloon test. Surviving on dumb luck alone should make us smarter, not ****ier. While accidents can unfortunately kill and maim the best out there, you are living proof that critical thinking is the best and most reliable protection. Truly generous of you to offer them a free lesson--hopefully they'll take you up on it.
        Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
          .....I think the only one it glossed over is "Don't eat plants you know nothing about."
          That caught my eye too. What first came to my mind was "Into the Wild" and ideas about what might have done in Chris McCandless. Eating something that is toxic.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
            From "New York State Conservationist", an article aptly titled "Unprepared" describes the rescue of two young men whose plan to hike the Great Range Traverse went awry.
            http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/106524.html

"I knew I needed food, so I chose a plant that looked edible and pulled it up by the roots. It tasted delicious, and I proceeded to eat at least 10-12 stalks."
            It seems like a fiction rather than a true story to me.
            Especially the above quoted phrase sounds so Bear Grillish.
            I do not recall hearing about this story previously.
            Can you match this story to a corresponding DEC SAR report?

Comment

Yes, I think it's this one (second from the bottom, June 28, 2015 in North Elba) http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/102343.html . The details seem to match up, and also "Upon reaching Johns Brook Lodge, we heard that there was also a huge manhunt for two murderers who had escaped from prison." implies that it was June 6-28, 2015 (the Dannemora incident), the successful manhunt and denouement of that would have happened during the exact span of this story.
              ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Comment

• Yury
                Yury commented
                Editing a comment
                Reality beats fiction.

Seems it really appeals to people to describe their trips and themselves as "insane" or "crazy". We've certainly seen many refer to themselves that way right here on this forum.

My takeaway from this is the ranger tip: bring an extra cell phone battery. I figure if I do this then I don't really need to follow any of the other "tips"...
              This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• bfinan0
                bfinan0 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have referred to some of mine that way. However, I definitely knew once I got back, and often knew even before I started, that they could courteously be described as Really Bad Ideas.

Originally posted by Rik View Post
              Seems it really appeals to people to describe their trips and themselves as "insane" or "crazy". We've certainly seen many refer to themselves that way right here on this forum.

My takeaway from this is the ranger tip: bring an extra cell phone battery. I figure if I do this then I don't really need to follow any of the other "tips"...

Probably a good tip not to leave your hiking partner exhausted, nauseous, and balled up in a space blanket at Four Corners. That's a pretty good one whether you have zero cell phone batteries or three.
              ADK 46/46W, Grid 235/552
              Photos & Stuff

Comment

Other information from this official report bfinan0 linked to.
                "he was on a trail with a compass and a GPS" No map, it was probably behind in his bag.
                "The critical care technician administered fluids to the hiker, enabling him to alternate between walking and being carried." He was really in bad shape, needing to be carried.
                And now I really wonder what those plants taste like.

Comment

Working...
                X