Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treed hikers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treed hikers.

Latest DEC SAR highlights for March 21-26, 2016.

Two incidents of "Lost Hiker", one on Goodnow and the other on Scarface. Individuals used their cellphones to call for assistance; all were led out safely.

One incident of "Unprepared for Icy Conditions" (a detailed version of the "Distressed Hiker" category?) where four hikers were effectively treed on Giant. They ascended, without bringing traction aids, and were unable to safely negotiate the icy descent. One of the injured fell and struck his head shortly after the group called for assistance. Rangers arrived and assisted their descent.

Looking for Views!

Oh, my -- there's quite a gem in there:

"...a DEC dispatcher instructed the 61-year-old woman from Saranac Lake, NY on how to use the compass application on her cell phone to obtain coordinates for the responding Forest Ranger."
    ADK 46/46, 46/46W, Grid 206/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      she's started on the road to her M & C badge! :P

They seem to be somewhat less diligent about naming the hikers now. Which I must say I'm somewhat glad for, having had my rescue literally one day before these weekly updates started!

Nothing like seeing these every Monday though to keep me scared of coming back to the High Peaks!
    ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Comment

Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't recall the DEC regularly identifying individuals in their press releases. They typically limit their identification to age, home town, and gender. There may be exceptions when fatalities are involved?

All three incidents were called in by the rescued individuals. The impromptu compass tutorial was interesting; I imagine many people may have little need for it in normal, urban use so may not know how to use it (or even aware they have it).

Looking for Views!

Comment

Just for an example, here is the very first one, from September 2014 http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/98918.html in which all ten incidents had some or all of the victims' name, age and hometown noted. Although you're right that the incidence of that has decreased steadily since the beginning. I only remember the shock of seeing this, and realizing how close I was to my rescue being much more well known (before I chose to write about it myself, that is - I told more about it than NYSDEC ever would have)

Comment

"Treed." Indeed!

What goes up must, eventually, try to get back down. Interesting route they chose, bushwhacking from 73 like that. Intrepid these barebooters!
          Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

It's either an anomaly or the final example of revealing names because the very next SAR report , and all reports thereafter, do not include names.

On the 2014 DEC Press Releases page, it doesn't list any SAR-related info prior to your example (September 2014). That makes it tough to determine if previous releases contained names. Maybe older reports are archived elsewhere?

EDIT
            Found it! http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/78354.html

They were released far less frequently as compared to their current schedule. Here's one that was released in April 2014 and covers the winter season; it includes people's names. So does this one released October 2013.

It would appear they implemented a new policy of leaving out names as of October 2014.

I guess my memory did fail me! :(
            Last edited by Trail Boss; 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM.
            Looking for Views!

Comment

That makes a lot of sense. Of course, the one I paid the most attention to, was the anomaly!

Comment

Hah! My case didn't make the weekly report (since it didn't exist yet), but WAS one of the annual highlights of 2014 (released after the no name policy, evidently). http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/legal_pro...frarprtweb.pdf page 24

Comment

Originally posted by bfinan0 View Post
                  Hah! My case didn't make the weekly report (since it didn't exist yet), but WAS one of the annual highlights of 2014 (released after the no name policy, evidently). http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/legal_pro...frarprtweb.pdf page 24

You even got an exclamation mark. Well, your party (who didn't miss you) did.

You're only 25? Sheesh man, you're too young to write off Allen.
                  ADK 46/46, 46/46W, Grid 206/552
                  Photos & Stuff

Comment

• bfinan0
                    bfinan0 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Since the Ledge, I've had my doubts about hiking again at all. I was kind of thinking Allen would be the end for me either way, and now with Allen clearly getting the best of me, over and over again...

Also, my "party that 'didn't miss me'" was quite a bit more complicated than that. What actually happened was we had agreed, at the start of the 46, quite a few years earlier, not to call for rescue on each other if a situation like this happened again. And stuck with that philosophy through a series of close calls on the way, including the trip immediately prior to that one. So they were perfectly aware that things were pretty seriously wrong, and I was "missing", but we wanted to keep any trouble that happened to ourselves and contained as long as possible, considering that we both had very worry-prone family and significant others who weren't happy with the idea of either of us being out hiking. So it was kind of like security theatre in reverse - making others feel safe about us regardless of what was actually going on.

Comment

Originally posted by bfinan0 View Post
                    ... not to call for rescue on each other if a situation like this happened again. And stuck with that philosophy through a series of close calls on the way
                    ...we wanted to keep any trouble that happened to ourselves
                    ... considering that we both had ... significant others who weren't happy with the idea of either of us being out hiking.
                    ... making others feel safe about us regardless of what was actually going on.
                    Haha! Sounds like "hijinks" from an old sitcom! Your name wouldn't happen to be Ralph Cramden? Girlfriend's name is Alice?

Looking for Views!

Comment

Yeah it was pretty much that. I'm not exactly sure what my friend did but I had auto-send emails and text messages. Some people mistakenly thought I completed the 46 because of that, since I was stuck on the ledge and not able to stop the email "announcing" my "completion" of the "46". So it became a bit awkward why I was keeping on going back to Allen over and over again after that, especially after I said how much I dreaded it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                        Haha! Sounds like "hijinks" from an old sitcom! Your name wouldn't happen to be Ralph Cramden? Girlfriend's name is Alice?

Right idea. Wrong sitcom. I'm thinking more like this....

Comment

Gilligan's Peak? I'd still be on the ledge now!

Comment

• bfinan0
                            bfinan0 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It seems like it sometimes, with how hard it is to get outdoors without a car from here. Paradoxically, even the middle of NYC has better outdoor opportunities for someone like me, being able to get to the catskills so easily.

• CatskillKev
                            CatskillKev commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I just had a non-car adventure this afternoon. Biked to the Catskills 10 miles, went for a 2 and1/2 hour run and biked home. Shows what you can do with a bike, but obviously, you also have to have the nearby terrain.

• bfinan0
                            bfinan0 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If I did, I'd be hiking it all the time instead of trying to get out once every year or two
                        Working...
                        X