​NYS Forest Ranger Search & Rescue Highlights: 3/7/16 - 3/13/16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​NYS Forest Ranger Search & Rescue Highlights: 3/7/16 - 3/13/16

Lower-leg injury on Phelps (I can imagine where he got hurt). Lost hikers w/o map&compass.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/13cc9a6
    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Me and my crew saw this guy butt sliding down the Phelps trail as we ascended and again when we descended the trail. It was very slow going for this dude. Oddly, he only had one foot with a microspike on. In fact most people were wearing mico's...I was glad to have full crampons on!
    check out my backpacking blog...
    Hilltackler.com
    answering the call of the trail

Comment

Having hiked Phelps in icy conditions I can't even imagine butt sliding on it.....that's my take.
      Don
      Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 03-14-2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hilltackler View Post
        Me and my crew saw this guy butt sliding down the Phelps trail as we ascended and again when we descended the trail. It was very slow going for this dude. Oddly, he only had one foot with a microspike on. In fact most people were wearing mico's...I was glad to have full crampons on!

When I did Phelps a couple of weeks ago, I saw someone with yak traks on. In fact, this winter, I saw a number of people with yaktraks (or stabilizers). Good luck with that!
        We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

There is enough vegetation on the ADK peaks to get up them wearing pretty much anything on your feet. It all depends how much tree pulling you wish to do.

Comment

Working...
          X