Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Peaks fatality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Peaks fatality

It came to my attention this morning that there was a fatality in the High Peaks yesterday. I know of this person and met them a few times. Nothing has been reported publicly yet, which is why I'm being vague on the info. It was nobody from this group. As I understand it, this person was a strong and experienced hiker.

As soon as more info is reported, I'll post here, or I'm sure someone else will.

I was so made aware that someone suffered possibly a broken ankle off Little Haystack yesterday.
    We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Thanks John. I know some were concerned about the fatality. I was on the side of Haystack when the choppers were flying over for the other incident. Choppers were in the area for about 30 minutes.
    May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Sad news. Condolences to the victim's loved ones.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

Oh so sad that it has been confirmed a fatality 😕. Condolences to the family and friends of this person.
        Think outside...no box required !

Comment

Horrible news. There was mention of it over on the Aspiring 46er Facebook group if you want to read more comments. Not much new info though.

Comment

I'll add a little bit of info I have...

I was part of the MacNaughton team yesterday for the Gathering. Long story short, when we were topping out on the summit ridge, there was a helicopter flying around us, and at one point staying still right on top of our heads, obviously checking something. On the way down, when we came across SAR rangers coming up, we understood why. We gave them as much info as we could about the solo footprints we saw and followed for a while (we had originally thought it was someone who had started before us yesterday). Had we not chosen to retrace our steps at the summit sign, and had we followed those footprints in the other direction (had we known then what was going on), who knows... we might have stumbled upon that person ??

Very sad and sobering. We all woke up thinking about her this morning, not knowing what was the outcome...
            Now we know....
            RIP, and my sincere condolences to her family and friends...
            MJ
            Last edited by Oliver; 03-06-2016, 05:54 PM.
            'As you go the way of life, you will see a great chasm. Jump. It is not as wide as you think'. From a Native American initiation rite
            'Following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been - Tool
            Lyon Mountain Trail Adopter

Comment

Very sad for sure. A bad area to get turned around in. Prayers for her loved ones.
              46-R (W) - By Da Holy Feesh

Comment

Oliver - If you saw solo footprints on your way up to the ridge, than perhaps the lady lost her way on the herd path while she broke trail.I soloed MacN a few years ago in April, and was happy to see an occasional vestige of a footprint in the snow when I was finding my way along the full length of the ridge. Nobody knows for certain what happened, but the loss of life is a tragedy. I think we all share in our feelings of sadness for a person whose day went from the joy of hiking to something we hope never happens to us - but for want of a misstep or medical emergency, could happen to anyone. R.I.P. Hua Davis.
                Last edited by ALGonquin Bob; 03-06-2016, 05:04 PM.
                "It's a beautiful day!" - Fellow hiker Shin Murnane's (5785W) last words at Marcy Dam 3/28/09
                46er #5357W
                Check out my "MOUNTAIN BLOG" http://bvanhise.blogspot.com/ AND ALGonquin Bob's Paddle Guide

Comment

News story http://www.wptz.com/news/hiker-dies-...ntain/38372444
                  "It's a beautiful day!" - Fellow hiker Shin Murnane's (5785W) last words at Marcy Dam 3/28/09
                  46er #5357W
                  Check out my "MOUNTAIN BLOG" http://bvanhise.blogspot.com/ AND ALGonquin Bob's Paddle Guide

Comment

• MtnManJohn
                    MtnManJohn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for posting Bob. Yes, this was the woman I was talking about. Very sad, and heartfelt condolences to her family and friends.

No words....

Comment

Indeed. I have hiked with her previously in the Adirondacks and she was an unforgettable person. She was always so upbeat and positive, even if the rest of the group was tired. She was also known for taking many photographs during her hike, which always did a great job at capturing the day. She was an avid and strong hiker, and will truly be missed. May she rest in peace.

Comment

Very sad news indeed. Condolences to the family.
                      I was part of the McNaughton party with Oliver and we were all hoping the SAR team would find her alive.
                      Even when you are an experienced hiker you just never know when you might get into trouble.
                      Never take your skills for granted and always be prepared.
                      RIP.

Comment

The Whites and the Adirondacks have been very unforgiving this past week. Heartfelt sympathies to the family.

Comment

I was very sorry to hear of the hiker's death, apparently due to exposure. Perhaps on another thread we can refresh/review signs/steps to take to avoid hypothermia. However, here I want to express my deep sorrow and offer condolences to her family.
                          46/46, 13/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

Comment

A few more details in this article by the Adirondack Daily Enterprise:
                            http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...d-update-.html
                            Looking for Views!

Comment

• MtnManJohn
                              MtnManJohn commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Something to note in case nobody reads the article:

"One of the responding rangers fell through ice in the backcountry after Davis was located, Forest ranger Lt. Julie Harjung said."

On Saturday I was able to trek across Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden, but there are always those soft spots out there. Also another example of the risks which rangers and other SAR team members take when looking for someone. Many thanks for the hard work the hard work, including the emotional effort, the rangers put in on Saturday.
                          Working...
                          X