No announcement yet.

A tent for me.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tent for me.

im thinking of doing some section hikes of the NPT. I知 lookig for a good tent. Not very expensive, but I知 not afraid of too high a cost for quality and toughness. Simple to put together. If it痴 a pop up, that痴 great, too.
    Nothing like being in the woods.

So many choices.....if you want to spend a fortune for a great tent, get a hilleberg. But there are lots of decent lightweight tents at reasonable prices. They might not last forever, but they'll work fine. I would make sure you get one with good ventilation for the ADKs.

Originally posted by Gerard01 View Post
      1. I am thinking of doing some section hikes of the NPT. I am looking for a good tent.
      2.I a知 not afraid of too high a cost for quality and toughness.
      I assume that NPT campsites are located in sheltered places.
      In this case "toughness" may not be required.
      You should look for a tough 4 seasons tent e.g. in case you plan winter Presidentials Traverse.
      Otherwise it makes sense to trade toughness for light weight.

Among lightweight tents most popular are Big Agnes models (they are cheaper than "Hilleberg" that was mentioned above).
      At the same time right now I am thinking about less expensive option like "GEERTOP 1-person 3-season 20D Ultralight Backpacking Tent"

One more option is to buy a tarp instead of a tent e.g.
      (please ignore a picture of a pitched tarp on that page - it's just plain wrong).
      Tarp has less weight than a tent and is easy to pack.
      Tarp is especially useful in summer in case of a good weather.
      You may just want to bring a bit of mosquito net with a tarp.
      Last edited by Yury; 03-10-2018, 10:31 PM.

With the profusion of shelters along the NPT (and great ones, at that) and the low use many of the areas see, I would recommend carrying the lightest option available to you and having it be just a backup in case of a full shelter. When I hiked the NPT, I carried a small tarp and never took it out of it's stuffsack. If you haven't picked sections yet, I can confidently state that the West Canada Lakes and the Cold River section are both absurdly beautiful.

I use a half a dozen different tents depending on weather and number of people - but the one I use most for solo 3 season is the Sierra Designs Tensegrity 1 FL. It is outstanding all the way around and is about 2 lbs. I put a piece of very light kite making Tyvek over the mesh opening at the head which can be pulled up - just in case of really bad rain and cold. You can get it right now for around $150 which is an extraordinary bargain. I could not recommend it more highly.
          The 1-person, 3-season Sierra Designs Tensegrity 1 FL tent offers a featherweight build that gives solo backpackers more living space than comparable tents.

I'm on my third sierra designs lightning tent; I bought one several years ago, the silicone-nylon fly failed, sierra designs replaced the tent under warranty with a new model, same thing happened again, after only one season, and they replaced that one, also under warranty. I'm impressed with their customer service, but something's up with their quality. I also have a 20 year old meteor light that still works....but it weighs 6-7 lbs.

I don't know what I would do if I were buying a summer tent at this point. If I had a big trip coming up I might actually bite the bullet on a hilleberg; the one I used on Rainier was amazing, and we were caught in some truly horrible weather. But for occasional use in the ADKs it's really overkill. Maybe big agnes fly creek? The tarptents look great to me as well and everyone who has one seems to love it.

Thanks for the feedback. I知 not looking for a huge tent. A couple of good lightweight choices. I figured it might be good for me to have a tent, in case I happen to be on a trail and in between shelters, or one trail with no shelters at all.

I've had the LL Bean FS microlight 2 person tent for almost 3 years and really like it. They make a 1 person model that I'm sure is just as nice. Although it is a bit more expensive than some of the others suggested, it may be worth a look.
                I carried it through the Cold River section last October but never needed it. As another poster said, some truly amazing lean-tos there.

Have you considered a hammock. The most important time to have a tent is in the rain. ADK tenting spots are almost always puddles. Tenting in a puddle is yucky unless the tent has a completely waterproof tub section. In addition if you are not camping in a designated area you can just go 150 feet off the trail and camp without a clearing to set your tent up in.

If I was starting again I would try that.
                  Leave No Trace!

• Gerard01
                    Gerard01 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m very interested in a waterproof tent. The submarine type that can withstand deep water pressure, lol. I’ve played U-Boat Captain, before. Not a good feeling waking up to water gushing into your tent.

I have to respectfully disagree with the recommendations to buy a 4-season tent. They are much too heavy for general use and are really only suitable for winter conditions. I agree with LeftRightLeft to go with a lightweight option. You can find a good quality, durable double wall tent that weighs just a bit more than a tarp setup, and provides much better protection against weather and insects. I'd suggest something like the REI Quarterdome 1, which weighs 2 1/2 pounds, and costs about half as much, weighs over a pound less, and is roomier than the lightest Hilleberg solo. I owned an older 2-person version for 10 years and never had any problem with durability. I stayed comfortable and dry on hundreds of miles of backpack trips. Sold it a few years ago and it's still going strong with the new owner.

The LL Bean tent is also a good option, or the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1. I'd use a double wall because it helps minimize condensation. There are lots of ultralight options, but you need to be a bit more careful. Whatever you choose, a piece of Tyvek or Polycro cut to shape as a footprint to protect the bottom from rocks and roots.
                  We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

• Gerard01
                    Gerard01 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks very, very nice! Thanks for the link.

That REI tent looks great! thanks, it might be my next tent. But it's not a lb less than the hilleberg 3 season solo tnet, only 3 oz less. Still, less than half the price!

I own a Tarptent Scarp I. I have the carbon fiber poles that help keep the structure intact in some snow (not feet of snow)...and I love it. It has served me well thus far. With the poles and the solid walls the whole things weighs 4 lbs. You can also get mesh walls for the summer. This is what I plan to take on my NPT trip this summer (minus the carbon-fiber poles).
                    #8335W, Solo 46W
                    NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
                    Half Dome, 2009

I'm with debmonster on this one. IMO four-season tents are a complete waste of weight and space unless you're going to be using it for all four seasons or staying put in one spot for multiple nights in potentially extreme weather. If you aren't planning on winter backpacking you'll want to focus on weight and packability. Of course other things will factor in, like breathability (more air flow = dryer interior) and ease of use. I've borrowed a couple of super ultra light shelters like the HMG Echo II and haven't found the weight savings to be worth the trouble of not having a self-supporting structure, or paying huge prices to shave grams. My current tent of choice is the BA Triangle Mountain UL2. Its very similar to other BA UL tents but it kind of bridges the gap between being too heavy and not being completely free-standing. I've had it for four years and have never had a leak that wasn't due to "operator error." Its easy to set up solo, packs down small enough to fit into a daypack with plenty of room to spare, and because its a two person tent that weighs under 2.5lbs (actual packed weight = 1 kg on my kitchen scale), the space to weight ratio is great.

There's a lot of small, independent boutique companies out there who also make excellent gear for reasonable prices. Z-packs, Six Moons, TarpTent, etc., but you really have to get into the fine print with these companies. For example some do not include seam sealing as part of your order unless you specify it and pay extra for it. This means that the seam sealant is not factored into their listed weight or price on their websites.

Something else to consider is whether you want your shelter to be free-standing or not. Personally I prefer mine to be since I like to be able to use my tent as a base camp while climbing or just exploring, I want to be able to take my trekking poles with me. In general, free standing tents also tent to hold up bad weather a little better than shelters that rely on a combination of trekking poles and guy lines.

is a pretty good place to do some side by side comparisons for some of the smaller companies to see how their products stack up against each other. Also don't be afraid to look for used gear. My four-season tent was an EMS single-season rental that I picked up from one of their stores for $40 its its treated me really well for nearly a decade.

I should have added that I replaced my tent's aluminum "bendy straw" stakes with some better titanium stakes. It also has the option to be set up as a "fast fly" that weighs about 1.75lbs and basically serves the same function as a tarp but with slightly better protection from the elements.
                      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Great feedback, folks! Going to be hard to choose one, when the time comes.

I have a 2-year old, Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 tent: 2 person/3 season. Previously, I had a BA Seedhouse SL1 tent (packed wgt. 2 lbs 15 oz.; 22 sq. feet floor area) and wanted more interior room so I optioned for the Fly Creek UL2 (packed wgt. 2 lbs. 5 oz.; 28 sq. feet floor area). The weight savings is a result of technological advances and BA engineering. I've always been satisfied with Big Agnes equipment. Take a look at their products. You will pay more, but you will get more for your money. They are reputable and stand by their products.