Winter Hiking Goggles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Hiking Goggles

I am not currently a winter hiker, but I plan on becoming one in the future. I do however have to work outside clearing snow for my job, and it requires me to be outside in bad conditions for a few hours at-a time. Iím looking for something reasonably priced (what ever that means) that will provide me with UV protection, polarized, and wonít fog up (like my sunglasses do when my mouth and nose are covered with my neck gaiter). Iím just curious what you folks are using? Had a quick look at the REI website, but would rather hear from people who use them directly. Thanks.

Originally posted by khubilai View Post
    I am not currently a winter hiker, but I plan on becoming one in the future. I do however have to work outside clearing snow for my job, and it requires me to be outside in bad conditions for a few hours at-a time. Iím looking for something reasonably priced (what ever that means) that will provide me with UV protection, polarized, and wonít fog up (like my sunglasses do when my mouth and nose are covered with my neck gaiter). Iím just curious what you folks are using? Had a quick look at the REI website, but would rather hear from people who use them directly. Thanks.
    I'd like to know this too.

(I don't have any goggles. But in this kind of cold it is pretty annoying having eyelashes and eyebrows freeze, I'd consider something to prevent that.)
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 238/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

Goggles are tough to keep clear hiking because of perspiration. Don't wear glasses if you don't have too. But if you do make sure the goggles are OTG (Over Glasses)

I just use ski goggles from Scott that I bought for skiing. Nothing fancy. Reddish lenses and Anti glare. I use mostly where it is windy and exposed. Wind will create the natural draft that should make sure there's no fogging.

I wore them all day yesterday at -12F and fogging didn't happen but I was going slow so not to perspire.

Don

Comment

I use a basic model Giro ski goggles because they fit me best. But my boyfriend highly recommends Smith goggles with the built-in fan. There are a few models, the Phenom and Knowledge, which is available in an OTG version.

Another friend swears by the Bolle Glacier glasses with the side panels. But they are more glasses than goggles.
        We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

Oakley Canopy Prism snow goggles. They are available in a rose/amber hybrid lens color that helps distinguish variations in terrain; this helps to avoid flat light issues. They're the first goggles I've owned where I haven't had to treat the lenses with anti fog wax products like Cat Crap.

Protip: to avoid fogging up your goggles, don't wear them on your forehead indoors or during exertion, and don't tuck your gaiter into them unless its ventilated.
          My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Thanks for he replies everyone.

Comment

Working...
            X