X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Downhill From Here
    started a topic titanium stakes

titanium stakes

Anyone have experience replacing the quasi-generic DAC aluminum 'V' stakes with the titanium 'wire' kind? How did they hold in various types of ground? With Christmas coming up, my I need a list of trinkets my extended family can buy me for obligatory presents.

Something like this: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stakes.shtml

instead of the usual:
    http://www.ems.com/dac-tent-stakes-6-pack/1308627.html

• debmonster
    commented on 's reply
    Hmm, I guess that the "bend, not break" theory could be accurate, but I probably didn't use them long enough to know for sure. I think I used them for about 5-6 backpack trips, lasting anywhere from 2 - 10 days. The stakes seemed so thin, and I remember having a tough time once with some fairly hard ground down south on the AT. I might even still have my ti hook stakes and would be happy to sell them to you (cheap!) if you'd be interested. I'd want to check what shape they're in first. I think that I bought them from Gossamer Gear about 10 years ago.

• All Downhill From Here
    replied
    I've weighed out the aluminum ones I have and get 0.4 oz per stake, which is weirdly what the titanium V shaped ones weigh. I've heard Ti stakes bend but don't break, does that 'feel' right, having put them into the ground? If I can switch to the Ti shepherd stakes, I can save 2oz.

Leave a comment:

• debmonster
    replied
    I did the same as FF&B. I had used titanium shepherd's hook stakes for a while, but they seemed a bit fragile and not always the best solution for harder ground. So I switched to the "V" shape and have been quite happy with them. Sturdy and very light! I thin, my 4 stakes weigh just under 1 ounce total.

Leave a comment:

• FlyFishingandBeer
    replied
    I replaced my DAC stakes with titanium stakes, but I went for the V shaped ones rather than wire. I'm not sure if this helps at all, but they've held up really well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X