Thin warm gloves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin warm gloves

Looking for suggestions for thin warm gloves (mutually exclusive I know) good for around 15f degrees (-9c). One pair with decent weather resistance for use at a leisurely pace around the neighborhood. Another pair with good breathability for short winter hikes up to 2 hours. As I warm up hiking I always end up taking off my gloves and maybe that's not a great idea. Need dexterity for manipulating a flash light and dog training purposes.

You sound like me. Gloves and hat are off much of the time in winter. I absolutely love the Marmot Driclime gloves. Worn them down to 10-15 degrees. Pretty thin and plenty flexible/ breathable Problem is, I cannot find them now other than on Amazon and only in XL and XXL. Perhaps they have been discontinued? I don't now. I recommend them if you can find a pair in your size

https://www.amazon.com/Marmot-DriCli...Driclime+Glove

Comment

I use Damart Glove Liners as thin glove. I have a pair of liners for every pair of winter hiking gloves and mittens. I have other pairs just for climbing and without the glove.

Damart is known for making insulated underwear (I guess base layers these days) under the tradename Thermolactyl. They make liners from similar material.

A French company, you can find them at DamartUSA.com. Search for ribbed cuffed gloves. They are not cheap. But there are sales from time to time.

The reason I use them besides warmth is they can be effectively repaired by stitching up holes with a needle and thread. I converted a hiking partner that had used wool liners that are not easy to repair. As you can imagine wearing them hiking causes wear and tear at the fingertips.

Don
      Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 10-03-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

My favorite pair of light gloves ever are/were the Outdoor Research Omni Glove. Unfortunately, they are not produced any longer. When I saw them pop up on Sierra Trading Post I assumed they had been discontinued and I picked up two extra pairs. Plenty of grip, nice dexterity, good for driving and hiking down to around 20 degrees or so (for me). I will probably shed a tear when I break out my last pair. This doesn't help you, I realize, but I will be in your same boat when I run out of the Omnis. As I learned long ago, if you find a piece of gear you like, buy at least two, because the item will stop being produced, probably sooner than you think.

Comment

Seirus makes a number of thin gloves that would work in the temp range you describe - I have a great pair but bought a number of years ago and don't know model or if that particular style still made. Very well constructed and designed with great fit.
          Shop for Seirus Innovation Cold Weather Gear including heated gloves, balaclava face masks, and warm hats. Call 1-858-513-1212 or click to visit.
          www.brandtbolding.com

Comment

I use Burton Power Stretch glove liners. My hands and head sweat so much when I hike that there's no way my hands/head will stay dry with any type of glove or hat on, so I typically only put them on to warm up briefly on summits. I like these particular liners because they wick and release moisture really well and have excellent grip. For descents I use the Petzl Cordex Plus gloves.
            My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Might want to consider glommits (glove/mitten combos)
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Thanks all. My Amazon cart is full with your suggestions and now I just have to whittle it down.

Comment

You may want to try plain old nitrile gloves (the "rubber" surgical gloves you see for a variety of applications). I use for much of the Winter as a "base layer" for my hands. I've used them by themselves down into the 20's without much issue and they are nice under a light glove. And you can buy on bulk for very little money (I think the model I use is $17 for a 100/ct box but you can get others cheaper than that). I get a model called the Nighthawk which has a long wrist which is nice for drafts where gloves end and sleeves start. And being super thin you can do anything a bare finger can do. On really cold and windy days they significantly extend the amount of time you can comfortably keep a hand out of a glove before they get cold and numb. I always wear them on extremely cold days for that added level of protection. I find liner gloves nice but on their own they aren't very durable and when they get damp they're useless to me if it is cold. I usually carry a spare pair or two in my emergency stuff for bleeding, hygiene for bathroom use, etc.

The downside is they obviously have zero insulation on their own so when touching cold objects that cold is instantly transferred. They are essentially a vapor barrier too so expect your hands to get somewhat clammy if it is not very cold. But you can wear under just about any type of glove or mitten to significantly boost their temperature rating and keep the glove itself dry.

Comment

Working...
                  X