Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Struggling to find info on my Tubbs Flex TRK snowshoes regarding DIY repair etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to find info on my Tubbs Flex TRK snowshoes regarding DIY repair etc.

I have two pair of ex-rental Tubbs Flex TRK snow shoes. Both pair are currently 100% working fine, and are about five seasons old. They cost me $15 each, and appear to have an MSRP of $150. So I'm well ahead right now. On the other pairs for sale when I purchased my two from the rental shop, the others all had a broken heel strap. So although my ones are fine, it would appear with rental use, the heel straps eventually break. I don't want to have this happen on a trip.

I have found that you basically have to send off the shoes to a couple of approved service centers to have the straps replaced when they break (as they are riveted on and require new straps which are not obviously for sale anywhere). I am thinking about being proactive and replacing them in advance (as then I should get years out of them before a breakage). I guess my questions are:

1) Should I just front up the money to post them to the Oregon service centre and pay the service fee to fix them up in advance? That'll likely cost me $100 once p&p + service is done. I'll still have saved some money (and carbon footprint) over buying new, but not a ton.
    2) Should I drill out the original strap rivets and use bolts to affix the new straps? (As I have acquired one set of new straps, and may be able to get a second set)
    3) More interestingly, is there a way to affix a different strap from another brand (MSR?)? Some have more of a ratcheting ski buckle thing, some have BOA closures. Perhaps that'd be more sensible?

These are nice plastic/metal snow shoes suitable for day hiking or possibly light overnight if the snow isn't too deep/loose. They're 24'' long etc. I'm rather pragmatic about it, as it was going to cost as much to rent them for a weekend as it cost to buy, so even if I only got one more trip out of them, I'm ahead. It would be nice to have them reliable and ready to use for years though.

Thanks,

-Steve

How about just buying new bindings from Tubbs, and/or fixing them yourself when possible?

Then there's doing a thorough inspection for crampon cracks.
    Last edited by CatskillKev; 03-27-2017, 05:34 PM.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

Working...
    X