Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stove for winter whitney trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stove for winter whitney trip

I am going to whitney in a couple of weeks for a 4 night trip. I own a whisperlite and a regular (top of canister) classic primus canister stove. I was thinking cleaning and flying and dealing with the white gas stove might be a PIA. I can rent a stove and bottle when I get there $38...or I was thinking about getting something like an MSR Windpro II where I can invert the canister to be effective in the cold $99.

Figure on the temps going down to 0-5 F. Inverted canister or white gas? If white gas should I rent or would I be ok if I clean my stove and fuel bottle and check it in baggage. I've read TSA guidelines on it and I am technically allowed to do it - but I have heard folks say they have had issues. Plus dealing with white gas is kind of a PIA.

Thoughts? Seems to be that something like a Windpro II might be the lightest and easiest and if you subtract the rental cost its not that bad of a deal.

No stove advice but wanted to make sure that you were aware of access issues. Portal road is closed fairly far down due to rockfall damage and crazy amounts of snow in the high country. Sounds like it will be a very long approach for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
      No stove advice but wanted to make sure that you were aware of access issues. Portal road is closed fairly far down due to rockfall damage and crazy amounts of snow in the high country. Sounds like it will be a very long approach for you.
      thanks yes - I am going with a guided group with AAI. I am pretty sure we will need to hike in from several miles down from the portal.

Comment

Are you talking about Mt. Whitney, or Whitney, AK. If its Whitney, AK I've spent some time there and I recommend something like this

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/sites/d...amp=1464295652
        “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
          Are you talking about Mt. Whitney, or Whitney, AK. If its Whitney, AK I've spent some time there and I recommend something like this

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/sites/d...amp=1464295652

Mt Whitney - California

Comment

• mrsmileyns
            mrsmileyns commented
            Editing a comment
            doing the trip with American Alpine institute - going out there for 2 days ice climbing in Lee Vining, then 5 day Whitney winter mountaineering class, then 2 days of rock climbing in Vegas. They run this trip frequently every season - per the itinerary documentation:

drive to trailhead Begin the approach to Mount Whitney. Depending on the snowpack, we might be able to drive to the trailhead at the Whitney Portal, or we might have to hike a few miles on the road before we reach the Portal. Usually we camp at Whitney Portal or along the North Fork of Lone Pine trail.

http://www.alpineinstitute.com/catal...in-the-sierra/

• FlyFishingandBeer
            FlyFishingandBeer commented
            Editing a comment
            Just so I'm clear, you're saying it doesn't matter if the TH is closed, you can still access the trails to Mt. Whitney?

Sorry to sound ignorant, but I am. I've never been there before.

Are you going to Red Rock in Vegas? I have actually done that one before. We had a great time.

• mrsmileyns
            mrsmileyns commented
            Editing a comment
            yes whitney trails are accessible in the winter - unless AAI doesn't know what they are doing but I don't think that is the case. Even if the road is closed you can park at a certain point and continue the walk in. We intended to ultimately ascend via the mountaineers route.

Yep Red Rock in Vegas - never been there - looking forward to it

You'll love it. Their guides were awesome and the Canyon (assuming you're climbing outdoors) is gorgeous. I'm not sure if their rates have changed in the last couple years but I remember it being very affordable given the level of instruction and implementation. This was the real deal, not some Caribbean ropes course for cruise passengers.

And you get to reward yourself with a double-double "animal style" from In-N-Out when you're done!

“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

• mrsmileyns
            mrsmileyns commented
            Editing a comment
            awesome - yes very much looking forward to it - over the past year I have gotten very into climbing and am looking forward to it a great deal

Here's a news story on the road closure: http://www.kibskbov.com/2017/02/major-rockfall/

Comment

Originally posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
            Here's a news story on the road closure: http://www.kibskbov.com/2017/02/major-rockfall/
            thanks - I'll check with AAI on that - I heard from them about 2 days ago with confirmations and everything so not sure what the plan will be. Thanks for the link.

Comment

I talked with AAI and they said the trips are still going out - trail passing the slide area is open except on blasting days which should be done by the end of this week. So far it has not impacted any of the trips. Snow is record and low down. The whole first day of the trip has been approach and getting to first camp.

Comment

Maybe you could check with the guide service about the stove, but I know that I would not take a canister stove on a trip where I expected 0 degrees. I suspect you can easily check the white gas stove, don't know about the fuel bottle. I guess a new one would be fine, but you might not be able to bring it back.

Comment

Originally posted by halocline View Post
                  Maybe you could check with the guide service about the stove, but I know that I would not take a canister stove on a trip where I expected 0 degrees. I suspect you can easily check the white gas stove, don't know about the fuel bottle. I guess a new one would be fine, but you might not be able to bring it back.
                  thanks - yeah that was my thought - i was going to either clean and bring my whisperlite and bottle, or rent one from them - it would be like $35 for the 5 day trip. But then I got a packet from the guide and he said he uses a jetboil (canister) on all trips. Which kind of surprised me. I reached out to them to find out if I rent a stove - exactly what will they rent me, and exactly which model whisperlite does he use. If I knew I'd have no issue checking the whisperlite on the plane I'd probably just do that.

Comment

'Good to hear about plans for your great adventure--be safe, have fun, let us know how it goes!
                    46/46, 13/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

Comment

Melting snow or fine dining? Canister for sure if melting snow. MSR reactor or jetboil something similar. Altitude usually negates cold weather (gas vaporizes at lower temps at altitude). You can always throw the can in your jacket to warm it up a little.

Comment

Is this you? https://www.mountainproject.com/v/si...rson/112519292

Comment

Working...
                        X