Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GI Distress after long period of hiking – Anyone experience this problem-Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maphiker: Thank you for your input. My gastroenterology doctor prescribed Omeprazole which I now am taking. And as you indicated a medicine needs to be taken for awhile before it is to work effectively.
    BTW: I have received a couple of PM's in the past few days from others having similar problems and effects. Is anyone Diabetic? I am diabetic 2. I wonder if that could be a factor in this GI distress hiking issue.
    ADK 44/46 (Remaining: Cliff, Redfield)
    CHH 102/102 #33
    Catskill 3500 #1888 / #774W
    Saranac 6er #590
    ADK/Catskill Fire Tower Challenge 26/23

ADK member: Genesee Valley Chapter
    The Explorers Club member: Fellow National 2013

Websites:
    www.shipwreckworld.com Rare Sailing Craft Found in Lake Ontario - posted 11/25/2016
    www.jimkennard.com
    ...Peak Experiences of a Catskill Senior Hiker
    Catskill 100 Highest - February 23, 2016

​Fire Tower Challenge - July 20, 2016

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
    - Sir Edmund Hillary

Comment

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to ask if you were diabetic. People who have had diabetes for a good length of time could develop a condition called "diabetic gastroparesis", where there is delayed emptying of stomach contents. It can be detected by a gastric emptying study. Your GI doc or your regular doc could order the test. It's possible that the testcould be negative, but that it is still the cause. When you are at peak exercise, your body is shunting blood away from the stomach and to your muscles and it is possible that it then becomes an issue, but at rest in the X ray department you could have a normal study. Seems like you are on the right track!

.Gebby: I don't think I am experiencing diabetic gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying,of food from the stomach to the small intestine) When this happens there is no food remaining in my stomach. I am thinking that maybe when the body is shunting blood away from the digestive tract that it is causing spasms in the upper digestive tract causing the dry heaves. Just my guess at this point! If this is the case then what steps can we all take to prevent or delay this from happening?
    ADK 44/46 (Remaining: Cliff, Redfield)
    CHH 102/102 #33
    Catskill 3500 #1888 / #774W
    Saranac 6er #590
    ADK/Catskill Fire Tower Challenge 26/23

ADK member: Genesee Valley Chapter
    The Explorers Club member: Fellow National 2013

Websites:
    www.shipwreckworld.com Rare Sailing Craft Found in Lake Ontario - posted 11/25/2016
    www.jimkennard.com
    ...Peak Experiences of a Catskill Senior Hiker
    Catskill 100 Highest - February 23, 2016

​Fire Tower Challenge - July 20, 2016

"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves."
    - Sir Edmund Hillary

Comment

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      Other than being fitter, and you must already be pretty fit looking at your list of accomplishments, I'm not sure there is much more you can do. I guess trying those mint things HTF recommended. Maybe eat smaller amounts more frequently while out. Experiment with other nutritional supplements and liquids.

Lactic acid
    when your muscles work hard for a long time and you exceed lactic acid threshold you dump acid in stomach and feel sick and or dry heaves.
    ​2 things you can do. Increase threshold with elevation gain interval training ( sets of stairs, short bursts uphill ) or when feel sick back off, and sip water and nibble pretzels or saltines ect..
    ​In trail running I push up to and sometimes pass threshold and have learned how to recover and keep moving forward.

Comment

Working...
    X