Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you stretch and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stretch regularly because I find I move more fluidly in my day to day routine when I do. Also I find stretching is an example of the body/mind connection. Stretching my physical body helps me feel calm and relaxed and happy. As far as hiking, it is nice to have flexible hamstrings when it comes to some of the big rock steps.

Comment

I never stretch and never have a problem. I think it is the placebo effect and example of conventional wisdom non-science in the sports fields.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
        I think it is the placebo effect
        Just like electrolytes!
        Project Full Deck Blog.
        Make a "Full-Deck" Donation to SAR

Comment

Originally posted by Neil
          Just like electrolytes!
          We all store electrolytes in our bodies in sufficient quantity to last for days and the kidneys make sure we don't lose too much. Of course, you know that...

Comment

I think the "electrolyte" fad has more to do with the sexy name than anything else. How many folks are aware that if you sweat copiously the electrolyte (ie. salt) content of your sweat drops to nearly zero?
            Project Full Deck Blog.

Comment

I was told to stretch by a P.T. many years ago, (as well as follow an exercise regimen), to help alleviate tendonitis. I was active in sports and hiking. The tendonitis went away. (So did the sports). The P.T. recommended I continue stretching indefinitely. I still follow the stretching regimen, but not religiously. I still have no knee pain. I am a sample set of 1.

Generally, I think it helps with my flexibility. I know if I forget to do it a few days, my flexibility is decreased. And I think flexibility is important for serious hiking.
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

A friend of mine never stretches and believes in being unflexible for speed and better bouncing. He is one of the best trail runners in Canada. You can see Galen Rupp, the best 5k to marathon runner in the US do stretch exercises (walk sideways hands on the floor, feet tied by elastic). For older elite marathoners, you can see the bests Meb Keflezighi and Deena Kastor strech a lot as a routine. Does it work? I don't know. I do it and it feels good and feels like it unlocks the muscles a bit. Nothing intense like yoga. When the greatest mountain runner in the world, Kilian Jornet, was asked if he ever gets twisted ankles, he showed he could run on his ankles while twisted.
                It is believed in triathlon that the great ankle flexibility required for swimming is bad for running.
                There's also been a lot of talk about how stretching reduces performance, but this is all based on a study were runners would do a 1 minute deep strech and right away sprint a 100m or something like that. Obviously, they were slower.

Comment

• Trail Boss
                  Trail Boss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A great deal of what the media reports is based on cherry-picking the data and then reporting it completely out of context. Many so-called "miracle foods" are hyped this way. Similarly you get crap like "Bad then good now bad again. Will science ever make up its mind?" Click-bait 'journalism'.

I guess I'm in the same boat as rich99. Having found the research/advice I've read to be unpersuasive, I just stretch when it feels like I need to stretch. Sometimes I get lazy about it, and eventually there will come a day where I spend all day at work thinking about how awful my hip flexors feel.

Comment

About 18 years ago, like in the original posts,I had so much pain from herniated disks I couldn't tie my shoes or get in and out of the car without extraordinary effort. Unlike the OP, my stretching routine in PT (and a couple of epidural steroid treatments intended to help reduce the inflammation) did the trick for me, YMMV. My precursor to a disk flare up is a dull ache experienced in the bottom of my foot. When I would sense that some stretching and an advil would address the problem. It's been years since I've used the advil in that situation; just the stretching.

I don't stretch before running these days, but I do stretch after running. It's a routine that takes about 20 minutes. Stretching to warm up seems a bit silly since you are forcing cold muscles into positions that they aren't accustomed to. Seems the opposite of what is intended with a "warm up". Maybe it's a placebo, but stretching after a hard workout does seem to prevent soreness for me.

Comment

The most interesting aspect of this thread are the inter-person differences in perceived benefits (or lack thereof) of stretching. I seriously doubt that people vary that much wrt stretching's effects. This suggests that it is extremely difficult to design and perform studies that accurately determine the effects (whether positive, negative or neutral) of stretching. There are many variables and putting reliable and objective metrics on them is probably a very tricky business.
                    Project Full Deck Blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X