Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10,000 calories per day.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of good suggestions Neil but if you are going that long I would focus on what you like. That seems to be the basis for many hiking and survival diets. Besides I don't know about you all but I love to think about my favorite restaurant or meal at the end of a long day. It's a carrot that I can get psyched for. and besides
    I have kimchi and ramen every morning and it has not stunted my growth, beauty or intelligence

Comment

Originally posted by debmonster View Post
      Olive Oil has 240 calories per ounce,
      Agreed that fat is very important
      My local grocery store sells 1.15 ounce (32 gram) packets of peanut/almond butter
      Nut butter and nuts will figure in the plan.

Do you know how many calories you can digest while burning 10K calories per day?
      Great question! There must be published research on this somewhere

My point is that during such long run/hikes you burn the reserves of fat and muscles of your body.
      Did you see the pictures of CoryD and Jan after their 46-er unsupported through-hike? Walking scarecrows.
      10k might be a bit high.
      Quite possibly.
      Instead of worrying about fat to eat, you can just gain it on your body before the hike. The major reason to eat fat is to make your food tastier and this is important, since in long distance that's what prevents people from eating enough.
      Have you ever read how stone-age Inuit ate? No shortage of fat for them.

if you are burning proteins instead of carbs you will notice a slight ammonia smell from your sweat,
      Very interesting. I have read that on a long hike one might derive up to 10% of one's energy from protein breakdown. I have had the cat piss smell on my clothes before but was unaware of its meaning. I wonder if you can manipulate your food intake to reduce protein breakdown to zero (other than protein that gets broken down from wear and tear). I also wonder where the protein for energy comes from: non-working muscle, other tissues?
      12 days should be manageable if you burn 1 to 1.5 pounds of your own fat per day.
      Sounds like too much.
      if you are going that long I would focus on what you like.
      Very simple and very important. Smores Pop-Tarts for breakfast with freshly brewed coffee mixed with instant hot chocolate and laced with lots of sugar.
      Project Full Deck Blog.
      Make a "Full-Deck" Donation to SAR

Comment

I'm pretty sure the stone-age Inuit were not hiking 50 miles days with 10,000ft gain. Your energy demands are much different and they depend on energy consumption rate. For fighting cold and walking flat lands, which are very low aerobic activities, fat is great.

Like I said in my previous post, if you want to avoid burning muscle, feed your body enough carbs. You can read a detailed explanation here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...overview.html/ The ammonia smell and protein burning? I've experimented a lot with this and found a combination of medium-high rate of exertion and no carb input that will produce the ammonia sweat and breath. My extended hikes with no food didn't do this.

I think you can absorb about 450cal/hour with a perfect combination of carbs and osmolality, but gastrointestinal discomfort will be the biggest issue and you need to experiment. Hammer has a classic guide for carb ingestion optimization: http://www.hammernutrition.com/hnt/294/. The more real food you eat the more water you will need for absorption. If you like stats and research, I highly recommend Noakes' Lore of Running. It's a dated book, but any news article seem to have already been thoughroughly documented in it.

A great, but short read when attempting something this big are words of wisdom of people having done the Hardrock 100. 100 miles and 33k ft gain, some call it the Hardwalk. I'm mentioning it here, because there a good tips from David Horton about food. http://www.irunfar.com/2015/07/how-t...drock-100.html

CoryD and Jan's look might be an effect of sleep deprivation and maybe dehydration. Reading about Jurek's appalachian record might give some insight. I remember he got pretty skinny doing it or maybe that's what the perfect ultra hiker is supposed to transform into.

Comment

What about MRE's? lots of calories there.

Comment

Originally posted by rich99 View Post
            I think you can absorb about 450cal/hour with a perfect combination of carbs and osmolality, but gastrointestinal discomfort will be the biggest issue and you need to experiment. Hammer has a classic guide for carb ingestion optimization: http://www.hammernutrition.com/hnt/294/. The more real food you eat the more water you will need for absorption. If you like stats and research, I highly recommend Noakes' Lore of Running. It's a dated book, but any news article seem to have already been thoughroughly documented in it.
            When I did P-46 I maintained my body weight all the way through. Besides eating very big and rich dinners I consumed a lot of sucrose (this after reading a review article in the scholarly literature on endurance sports and sucrose fueling) and some high fructose corn syrup in the form of 2 root beers per day. On single day hikes I always drink 2 highly sweetened home-blended protein drinks and 250 mls of sugar-saturated espresso coffee along with Cliff bars, home-made jerky, home-made cookies and granola bars each with some protein powder added to the recipe. On this summer's hike I'll have to change some aspects of my MO.

Project Full Deck Blog.
            Make a "Full-Deck" Donation to SAR

Comment

Working...
            X