Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe upper thigh cramps climbing down fire towers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already said that.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

• Yury
      Yury commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you are right CatskillKev.

If it were hydration, you'd be getting cramps at other times. Most people still get cramps when hydrated and with proper electrolyte balance. It's most probably a combination of fatigue and movement you're not used to messing up with muscle sensors (look up spindles and golgi tendon). This is why vinegar could help, shocks the nerves. Since you've often triggered your cramps this way, it might also be a dysfunction with some of these muscle sensors so avoid the movement (backwards/sideways as suggested) if training for it doesn't help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Try this product http://www.stopslegcramps.com/ This is what the company writes about their product

Our amazing old Amish remedy will stop leg cramps at night
      in about 60 seconds. It also works on muscle cramps
      in your hands and feet.

It works, but carry double the amount if you get cramps in different legs at different times.

Comment

Seems hydration is always easy to blame. Amazing that one would only be dehydrated going down a firetower. Surely this isn't a fitness issue so magic bullets like pickles should work fine...
        This post is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

I've come 180 degrees on this and now believe cramping is mostly a fitness issue.

When I started hiking, I suffered sever leg cramps on every hike. I sweat a lot so I thought it had to be hydration / electrolytes. So I made sure to bring lots of water and sport drinks. Even started to bring a small carton of coconut water on someone's advise (mix 50/50 with yellow Gatorade for a good mock pina colada). After a while, cramps became more sporadic and much later in a hike. I began to see a correlation between how tired my legs were on a hike and cramping. If I had been hiking or working out regularly, i could do a long hard hike in August with no cramps. If I had been a couch potato, a moderate hike in winter could result in cramps.

That said, I tried the pickle juice a couple times when I had leg cramps at night and it works.
          "...he went because he felt the call of the wilderness, a call ever irresistible to him in whose veins flows the blood of the explorer." Warren W. Hart

Comment

A change of movement does bring on cramps, too. I did a half marathon trail race where I chose not to be too aggressive on the inclines in the interest of pacing. But, near the end of the race, there was a fairly short steep hill that I wanted to attack, since it was the last hill. Well, that idea cost me a minute because I had a severe inner thigh cramp by the time I got to the top, and had to stop for a few seconds. I didn't dare push it after that, and lost one place to another runner. Of course, you could say it was because I had very little training sprinting up steep hills, but it was also the intense exercise to get to that point, and maybe not drinking enough, or not drinking electrolytes.

I might be kidding...

Comment

Working...
            X