Waterproof Shell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproof Shell

Its time to replace my Mountain Hardware gotex shell.
    I'm looking for some suggestions, can anyone help?
    “In the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory there is a glory to be found if one has done his best.”
    ― Eric Liddell

I just picked up a new system 3 from EMS. Not goretex, but weighing 12 ounces and only costing $80 (it was 20% off) it was a little hard not to. I have been poured on in recent weeks and it has not failed me.
    “Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.” John Muir

"Not the kind of "fun" you have to force yourself to remember you're supposed to be having, but the kind where you realize for the last half a day you've had this idiot grin on your face that you just can't seem to shake." -Mirabela

Comment

Many people have the OR Precip jacket. I wouldn't say it is breatheable, but nothing is if you are moving and generating perspiration. Definitely lightweight, windproof, and reasonably durable.

Comment

I am really looking for a heavy duty gortex/ waterproof shell.
        “In the dust of defeat as well as the laurels of victory there is a glory to be found if one has done his best.”
        ― Eric Liddell

Comment

Look at the member reviews on backcountry.com or rei.com for the shells they offer. I've found those very helpful when deciding on gear.

Comment

Don't want another Mountain Hardware? I have their Typhoon shell and I'm very happy with it. No "hard shell" is going to breath well IMO, but the Typhoon has great ventilation. I would not hesitate to buy another one. I'm not sure what you mean by "heavy duty" though. Are you looking for something to keep you warm and dry or just dry? In colder weather I just use the shell over a base layer or mid-layer as need be.
            Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very fast.~Thomas Jefferson

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.~Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Rockledge View Post
              Don't want another Mountain Hardware? I have their Typhoon shell and I'm very happy with it. No "hard shell" is going to breath well IMO, but the Typhoon has great ventilation. I would not hesitate to buy another one. I'm not sure what you mean by "heavy duty" though. Are you looking for something to keep you warm and dry or just dry? In colder weather I just use the shell over a base layer or mid-layer as need be.
              I love my MH Mithril Jacket and would buy another if it was available.
              I need the hardshell for winter hiking. Mostly I wear a soft shell but in severe weather I want to have a shell to put on.
              ― Eric Liddell

Comment

I use the Marmot PreCip jacket as my hard shell during the winter, and as a rain coat the rest of the year.
                EULA: By reading this post and associated disclaimer, you are consenting to agree with the opinions disclosed within. If you disagree with this license agreement, you may not return it for a refund.

Comment

Originally posted by daLunartik View Post
                  I use the Marmot PreCip jacket as my hard shell during the winter, and as a rain coat the rest of the year.
                  I have a Precip, but think it is not solid enough for a heavy winter snow storm.
                  ― Eric Liddell

Comment

Not sure if you picked one up yet, but I would keep a watch on steepandcheap.com. They have been running some very good deals on a bunch of very good jackets lately. Deals so good, that despite already having two shells, I almost bought another.
                    Hike Always.
                    http://dunbarsm.wordpress.com

Comment

Yup, that's a dangerous site indeed. I got a great shell there 2 weeks ago dirt cheap. And just picked up another pack even though I swore I would deal with the winter one I have for now.

Comment

What about CLOUDVEIL Koven jacket - http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...82574488338559
                        ― Eric Liddell

Comment

Working...
                        X