Geocaching in the High Peaks question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geocaching in the High Peaks question

"Geocaching is not permitted in the Adirondack High Peaks Regions". That's copied and pasted directly from the DEC website. I've seen posts on this and other forums about the benefits and evils of geocaching. That's not the purpose of this thread. I'm wondering about VIRTUAL geocaching.

A virtual cache is a type of geocache that involves gathering information at the cache site. The purpose is to bring people to special places where physical caches cannot be placed. The main geocaching organization has given virtual cache placement opportunities to 1% of all cache hiders and all their volunteers. That's 4,000 virtual caches worldwide based on an algorithm they are not making public. I am fortunate to have been given 2 of these opportunities.

I'd like to ask permission to put my virtual caches in the high peaks because it's an area I love. It wouldn't start an influx of virtuals because they're rare, and the majority of geocachers are not familiar with the high peaks. Also, I'm sure each one would require permission. Summits are not good places, they're already crowded, so I was thinking of the Henderson monument and the Cold Brook Pass crash site or Hanging Spear Falls. The Matildas also made my short list. A cacher would be required to go to the coordinates and take a photo.

Anyone know whom I would ask for permission? Ray Brook has a directory online but I couldn't figure out which people would be best to contact. I'm also interested in feedback about what people think about this idea.

Why would you need permission? You would just be giving somebody coordinates to walk to and requiring them to take a picture, right? Not placing an actual physical cache (in an ammo box or whatever) out in the woods. I see no difference between a virtual cache and any peak bagging list, waymarking activity, or suggestions of places to hike to on any of the countless Adirondack tourism web sites. I think you're getting caught up in semantics. A virtual cache may be a type of geocache but my guess is the prohibition on geocaching is so that there aren't hundreds of ammo boxes stashed all over the High Peaks in odd out of the way places, not to keep people from using the trails or visiting points of interest. Perhaps I'm entirely mistaken here but what you are attempting to ask permission for sounds totally innocuous to me. I applaud your desire to follow the rules but I doubt you're even breaking any.

Comment

"Geocaching is not permitted in the Adirondack High Peaks Regions." To put this on the geocaching site I have to have permission because it is a form of geocaching.

Comment

Originally posted by bud View Post
        "Geocaching is not permitted in the Adirondack High Peaks Regions." To put this on the geocaching site I have to have permission because it is a form of geocaching.
        In as much as there is no cache, it isn't geocaching or any other form of caching. It is an alternative to geocaching that has most of the pleasures (I assume people enjoy it?) and none of the legal issues. Why not just say that and call it something else?

Comment

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree. Waymarking is the exact same activity as virtual geocaching.

• bud
          bud commented
          Editing a comment
          True. I hope DEC sees this the same way as it seems the intent of the law is to prevent physical caches. I see nothing restricting waymarking but geocaching is not defined in the statement preventing it. I'm looking for someone in charge to verify your views. Makwa is right about it being a waymark but Geocaching.com, the site where would be posted, calls it a virtual geocache. Geocaching is not permitted in the high peaks. The purpose of these caches is as Gregory Karl says, to avoid legal issues. I don't think it hurts to ask but one never knows if someone at DEC might object for an unseen reason.

Here's your answer bud...

Post from the Supervising Forester, NYSDEC - Bureau of Forest Preserve Mgmt., on the geocaching.com forum back in 2004. In the 4th paragraph he specifically addresses that virtual geocaches are not prohibited but asks you consider the impact of increased traffic to an area when establishing a virtual cache. Unless the policy has changed in the last 14 years I think you are good to go.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/ind...-public-lands/

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            Except for GV snowshoes, anything that starts with G is bad. You're welcome.

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            I think Giant, Gothics, Grace, and Gray are pretty good. And Gerard01 is a nice guy.

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe an oversimplification.

I have hiked with RMassey through Harriman State Park. There are dozens of geocaches around there. While, its a busy park in itself, we never encountered large crowds around the caches. Its an interesting topic.
          Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

Working...
          X