Cheese stabilty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheese stabilty

Yes, you guessed it. This is a food topic. Ok, I like to take cheese out on a hike, but it tends to get soft as the day goes. The taste drops several notches. Anyone have a suggestion on which cheese will not wither down and taste terrible on a hike? thanks.
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

The harder the cheese the better, less oil. The processed cheeses don't last very long. That being said we have had good luck with the individually packaged mozzarella string cheese, also the single serve waxed seal ones work well. We go out for a week at a time and have these last the whole trip.

Comment

• Gerard01
      Gerard01 commented
      Editing a comment
      what brands do you recommend?

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      I too eat the packaged string cheese but the problem is that it's not that great tasting to begin with (compared to real quality mozzarella). I like the cheese because it's a different taste than all the other sugary trail foods plus it's high in calories for small portions but it's not gourmet. Nor does it pair well with Gatorade or other electrolyte drinks.

Dutch Gouda doesn't require refrigeration. Large ones are covered in a waxy (usually red colored) protective coating that you have to separate from the cheese.
    I've seen mini-ones too in similar coating.

I found this link when I was looking around to verify what I thought is true for Gouda.
    https://www.thespruce.com/which-type...el-well-591239

By the way the Dutch don't pronounce it GOO-DA. It GHH-HOW-dah (like Hou of Houston St in Manhattan) where the GH is a rough sound that is hard to express into text. I know because I once lived in Holland on a work assignment and frequently bought both Gouda and Edam (eh-dam) frequently at the aah and pay (A&P). Remember A&P, they used to be a grocery store chain that had corporate offices in Manhattan.

I like cheddar but it's only good for winter hikes.

Don
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 01-18-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Gerard01
      Gerard01 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the feedback.

• Gerard01
      Gerard01 commented
      Editing a comment
      I checked out the link and its great! I can get these cheeses at a Russian supermarket right down the street from me. Cheese is back on the menu, boys!

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      So you're gonna buy a Soviet Bloc of cheese?

Cheese, a topic close to my heart! Soft cheeses like brie or camembert for me in the winter, and a good 3-5 year old cheddar will last no problem for a 10 day backpacking trip in the summer.

The best is cheese hiking is in Switzerland. Cheese everywhere (and way tastier than anything you can buy here). At one point we found a tiny shack by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Inside was a small refrigerator... take out your cheese of choice, put money in the can. First time I ever came across a self serve cheese shop.

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      Swiss Cheese is obviously the best choice. With all those holes it's lighter to carry, right?

Do cheese sticks freeze in the winter time?

I guess I could leave one outside over night and see...
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

"now my good man some cheese please."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cWDdd5KKhts

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
        Do cheese sticks freeze in the winter time?

I guess I could leave one outside over night and see...
        They do freeze. IMO frozen mozzarella sticks taste terrible. I like the mini 'snack pack' fresh mozzarella much more.

To the OP: Cheese tastes better when warm. Unless you're talking about "cheese" like Kraft slices?
        ADK 46/46W, Grid 237/552
        Photos & Stuff

Comment

There's a gent at the Syracuse farmer's market who sells pepperoni logs with 7X sharp cheddar in the middle. I cut off about a 3-4 inch chunk, roll it up in paper towel and stick it in a ziplock. This way I can hold on to the ziplock and peel the paper towel back to cut off bite sized pieces as I go without getting meat/cheese schumtz on me. Both the meat and cheese stay firm enough to be tasty during the summer.

Protip: don't carry your snacks in your pocket in the summer, but do carry them in your pockets in the winter. Whatever I plan to eat next always goes into my shell's internal mesh waterbottle pocket during the winter. In the summer it gets stashed in my pack between the beers, which are usually double-koozied.

That's really the root problem with food getting too soft in the summer. You aren't packing enough beer.
        My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• stone611
          stone611 commented
          Editing a comment
          Farmers market pepperoni embedded with cheddar? Sounds like excellent hike fare. I've taken something that I've only seen in gas stations in the area; individually packaged sticks of cheese wrapped in prosciutto, now my favourite hiking treat. Or drive home treat. Good point about temperature zones in jacket or pack; most of my food got too hard to chew during my January hike.

• Gerard01
          Gerard01 commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds interesting. got a website? I now have another larger pouch that I picked up last year in Northville. My last pouch was a military style cache bag. It lasted a couple of years, but, alas, it was not tough enough to survive my hikes. Last seen during my hike of the Tupper Lake Triad. My new sack is similar to the Indiana Jones type. Its large enough to carry food and water, but small enough not to interfere with my stride. I reinforced the shoulder strap connection with a D-ring in case it snaps.

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          Gerard01 I don't know if they have a website offhand, but I'll look around.

I'm a big fan of Old Croc Sharp Cheddar Bites. They'll get a bit soft by the end of a hot day, but they are super delicious!
        http://oldcroccheese.com/croc_bites.html
        We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• Gerard01
          Gerard01 commented
          Editing a comment
          Similar to the cheese I take with me. Small. easy to open and very tasty, but they do get soft and rubbery. They lost their sharp taste. I remember watching the Lord of the Rings movies and seeing the Hobbits wrap a round block of cheese in a cloth and toss it in their bag.

Stash the cheese in a cold stream. When you return it'll be nicely chilled. Anyway, this works for beverages ...
        Looking for Views!

Comment

• Trail Boss
          Trail Boss commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha! Good one!

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          "Come on! Everybody knows woodland creatures love cheese and hate pudding."

Makwa Excellent reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIYYoeFB45Y

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          I swear to you I've only seen that movie once and have zero recollection of that line. I write my own material. But kudos on remembering that one.
      Working...
      X