Do not do this with your hiking poles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not do this with your hiking poles

I was climbing Haystack and instead of putting my poles in my pack and scrambling, I put the tips on a ledge like 2 1/2 feet up and used the poles to pull myself up. This stupid move,which I realized right away, did something to my back. It has been a month and a half but the damage was done and each week it has gotten worse. Of course 3 consecutive Sundays of 46'er peaks did not help. Now my lower back and down my leg have shooting pains if I move the wrong way and I feel like an idiot.

Do not do what I did!
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Sorry to hear that! I hope whatever you pulled in your back heals quickly!

​BTW, your post can easily serve as the first of many other contributions of "Don't do this!"

​It always seems like the right thing at the time and only after we're licking our wounds do we understand the folly of it. :(
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Here’s another “don’t do” tip. “Don’t” put off seeing your Dr for too long. Get some PT for it before it becomes chronic. “Don’t do” a chiropractor.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree the OP should do something.

I had a chronic back problem. It would get out of whack sometimes randomly and sometimes with good reason. This happened at least once a year. When it did, after days of pain I would gradually get better. The last time it happened I was just bending down to pick up something I dropped. After days of pain, a work colleague suggested a chiropractor and yes I'd always been hesitant. Well long story short. The chiropractor had me feeling much better the first visit. And after two more I was done, no pain. I haven't had a problem for over three years now. Just sayin'

Don

• JoshC
        JoshC commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree about the PT. I'm moving thanks to physio. Wasn't always clear that I'd be mobile.

Sorry to hear about your injury. I'm not a pole user (I only use one for descents and water crossings) but I can't understand what you did and why it was a stupid move. Don't pole users do that all the time when climbing? I'm also thinking of cross country skiers who use very long poles and do this kind of motion all the time, don't they?

Comment

• jrjmurray
        jrjmurray commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree; nothing wrong with that. I use my poles like that on every step up large or small to save my bum knees. On the other hand I’ve thrown my back out several times in unlikely circumstances like tying my shoe, putting a fork in the dishwasher, reaching for something but been fine doing strenuous athletic activities or heavy lifting. At any rate, hope you heal up soon Bunchberry.

• Bunchberry
        Bunchberry commented
        Editing a comment
        There are using poles correctly up a slope and then using them incorrectly. I was going up a steep section. I put the poles tips on a rock ledge about 2 or 2 1/2 feet high. I remember looking up at my hands way above my head and thinking I should really stow these poles because I am going to be rock climbing in a step anyway. Then I pulled up and felt my back twinge and that was that...

Poles should only be used for balance.

Hope you feel better soon!

Recently my hiking partner left her poles below a steep set of scrambles, obviously intending to get them on our way down from the summit. Well, on our way down we passed a guy with a familiar looking hiking pole and when questioned he admitted he took it thinking it was abandoned. He said it was the only pole leaning there. Sure enough, the other pole was gone.. so not one, but two people thought it was ok to take off with a leaning pole! So we never leave anything on the trail anymore, though we often see unattended packs or poles.
      46/46, 45/46
      103/115

Comment

• Bunchberry
        Bunchberry commented
        Editing a comment
        That is disgusting

• Natlife
        Natlife commented
        Editing a comment
        Bummer. I've left my poles behind a few times, but always with my pack. I can understand why someone could think a lone pole is lost and bring it back to the trail head. A pair also though less likely, depending on time of day. But I can't think of a single good reason why the person who took a single pole off a pair would do that.

• autochromatica
        autochromatica commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll occasionally stash stuff, but always a little bit off the trail in a nondescript location. I do it more so that I'm not dropping an eye sore on the trail, but your story gives me an additional reason.

It seems that I have misaligned my pelvis...
      Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
      ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas View Post
        ... Don't pole users do that all the time when climbing?
        ​I do. Sometimes my arms are raised high enough to qualify as the "Y" in "YMCA".

It's not much different than doing a pull-up. ​I've done it often enough to conclude whatever happened to Bunchberry must've been unique to his situation.

FWIW, I injured my back while playing soccer as a teenager. I know the precise movement that can cause a flare-up. Fortunately, I haven't encountered any "moves" in hiking that trigger it. I imagine Bunchberry inadvertently discovered the 'precise movement' that revealed his Achilles Heel.
        Last edited by Trail Boss; 10-06-2017, 11:05 AM.
        Looking for Views!

Comment

• Bunchberry
          Bunchberry commented
          Editing a comment
          YMCA! Great! Now I have the village people singing YMCA stuck in my head!
      Working...
      X