Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Showers at Heart Lake

!
    But thank God there's a selection of down jackets for sale..

Sure, it sounds like it they've gone all retail on us. However, consider this, prior to a big hike, what has higher priority: replacing a forgotten jacket or getting a skipped shower?
    Looking for Views!

Comment

• bfinan0
      bfinan0 commented
      Editing a comment
      After the hike, it could matter though, depending how you have to get home.

• Trail Boss
      Trail Boss commented
      Editing a comment
      Seeing that vast majority of hiking trailheads offer no showers, that leaves fastidious hikers SOL.

A sponge-bath by the car or a swim in a nearby lake or stream, if available. That's about it for the average trail-head's bathing amenities.

Previous discussion:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...se-temporarily

Looks like a nice new overpriced gear shop...

Comment

https://www.adk.org/hpic-renovation-update/

Feels like an over priced gear shop. Nowhere to gear up, nowhere to shower. Just paid my dues for this year and wish I could get a refund.

Comment

I hear you .... but there's no place to gear up or shower at any of the other trailheads. The Garden is pay-parking and it has never had amenities. Basically, the HPIC is now more like all other trailheads. I'm not saying that's a welcome development but it is what it is.

Looking for Views!

Comment

when i spoke to staff during renovations this winter i was told that the showers were removed because of abuse. they specifically mentioned people stealing the change and some "less than hygienic" conditions. personally i would suspect that their vision for the new facility had just as much to do with the removal, but being able to point to abuses does give them a plausible justification.

if anyone still wants a shower before their drive home, last i checked tmax/topos and kv hostel both offered showers for a modest price. at least until those services get abused .

or instead of a shower you have my brother and cousin's preferred method, just go for a swim in the ausable near marcy field.

Comment

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

I will be unable to achieve self actualization without my post hike shower..

I reserve the right to remain stunned by this development.

Comment

Sounds like they should consider a little "Re-Branding" I would suggest:

The High Peak Experience...The Loj at Heart Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by greatexpectations View Post
                when i spoke to staff during renovations this winter i was told that the showers were removed because of abuse. they specifically mentioned people stealing the change and some "less than hygienic" conditions. personally i would suspect that their vision for the new facility had just as much to do with the removal, but being able to point to abuses does give them a plausible justification.

if anyone still wants a shower before their drive home, last i checked tmax/topos and kv hostel both offered showers for a modest price. at least until those services get abused .

or instead of a shower you have my brother and cousin's preferred method, just go for a swim in the ausable near marcy field.
                Just some a comments regarding the showers....

The showers DID APPEAR in the floor plan published in the July-August 2016 issue of Adirondac. With that as basis, I say the comment of the on-site staff is not credible.

I have only been there once since opening and the restroom also open. On that day at the end of the day somebody was changing in the men's room.

I can see how removing showers is a plus for the long term maintenance of the building. i.e. less cleaning and chance for water damage.

It is a very small sample size but my hiking buddies liked the showers for a place to change to street clothes and will miss them. Sometimes I changed there too. We don't shower just sacrifice a clean set of clothes for the drive home. Myself, I don't care if anybody sees me changing in the parking lot with only the shading of car doors. Some friends won't do that. But, and if maybe enough of us change in the parking lot, and ADK gets complaints maybe something will happen. Along those lines, though it wouldn't be elegant, a substitute could be two repurposed and refitted port-a-johns be set up as changing rooms on the back side of the HPIC. i.e. plastic shells with the toileting features removed. Wouldn't help in the winter but it's less likely to return after a day out covered in mud iin winter. Changing in the restrooms is always possible.

Don

P.S. I'm an ADK member as are my hiking buddies.
                Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 05-08-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

How is parking during peak or holiday season using the South Meadow parking area? Any concerns even busy weekends to avoid to Loj parking and also the Loj road craziness and signed/unsigned rules? Does S Meadow fill up? Excess road parking there ok if so? All questions assume the gate is open. Thanks!

Comment

Comparisons to other trailheads are probably not relevant. How many of them have spaces for hundreds of cars? The availability of a shower, a covered spot for a snack, etc., was part of the value of paying $10 to park ($5 for me as a member). But hey, better shopping is the interactive experience today's tourist is looking for, at least that's what I'm told.
                    Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

A couple months back I asked one of the employees what the shower situation is going to be and I was told that they're going to be moved outside, not gotten rid of completely. It seems as though this person gave me bad info. Personally, I never used the showers there anyway. You want a real Adirondack experience? Shamelessly strip down to what you were born with and give yourself a baby wipe sponge bath while drinking a beer and standing on a pile of your dirty hiking clothes outside the trunk of your car while black flies enjoy the free buffet. Its always worked for me. That's how camaraderie happens.
                      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

BUMP - How is parking during peak or holiday season using the South Meadow parking area? Any concerns even busy weekends to avoid to Loj parking and also the Loj road craziness and signed/unsigned rules? Does S Meadow fill up? Excess road parking there ok if so? Thanks!

Comment

• Trail Boss
                          Trail Boss commented
                          Editing a comment
                          On a truly busy (holiday) weekend, the Lo's parking areas fill up and the overflow parks along the east side of the Loj road (where the town didn't put No Parking signs), and continues north up Adk Loj Road, sometimes well past the junction with Meadows Lane (a.k.a. South Meadows Road). It also lines the south side of Meadows Lane.

As for the parking at the eastern end of Meadows Lane, I can't comment on it because I've never parked there during peak times.

Thanks. Really want to try south meadows and approach via the truck trail. Anybody park at the east end and can share experience? Just for a different approach. Don't mind the five bucks

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
                          FlyFishingandBeer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I almost always park near the truck trail head at the east end of South Meadows if I'm hiking towards Marcy Dam. Its a longer hike with a fair amount of ups and downs, but for some reason it feels faster.

The east end of south meadows does fill up, sometimes as soon or sooner than the loj lots.
                      Working...
                      X