No announcement yet.

Poll: Do You Hike With Music?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the ADK's I can't say I've ever listened to music. I could however see the benefit if hiking with someone that is 'obnoxiously conversive' lol. Usually I hike alone and totally enjoy the peace and quiet. My mom started hiking with me again the last couple trips (we hadn't hiked together in over 15 years!) and we are both generally quite people so it works well.

This reminds me of somewhat frequent discussion on a running forum I am on about listening to music. While running I do more often than not have the earbuds in. Others criticize that you need to hear nature and whatnot, but since I do enjoy real nature hiking in the mountains, the rail trail that I run that parallels the highway doesn't seem to constitute much nature and often times the sound of 55-65mph traffic is all that can be heard.
    39/46 get'n closer
    19/46 barefoot ;-)
    ~Tristan

Comment

Wake now, discover that you are the song that the mornin' brings
      Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own ( GD )
      Earbuds cause cancer of the brain and consciousness !!
      I hear the songs of the mountains
      ​I hear the songs of old, the old true songs. Garcia's Irwin wolf guitar forever etched on my heart.
      ​I am the song as I run

Comment

• autochromatica
        autochromatica commented
        Editing a comment
        MG, you're pretty funny.

• Neil
        Neil commented
        Editing a comment
        Whenever I hike with MG we listen to Celine Dion on his iPhone's Bluetooth speaker. It makes those tough bushwhacks a little easier.

MG's input is solid material. "Those who know cannot explain, those who don't cannot understand."

Comment

• CatskillKev
        CatskillKev commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. Poetry.

I never listen to music while running or hiking. Cruising through the woods early in the morning, thoughts flowing like a creek through my mind. Kind of like meditation but with the added bonus of physical exertion!

Comment

I never listen to music on the trail. My peeve is when hiking with others who put in ear buds. I understand they have the right to do what they enjoy but it seems rude. I didn't think I was THAT BORING.

Comment

• autochromatica
          autochromatica commented
          Editing a comment
          If the 'others' you're hiking with are your kids, then YES, to them you're that boring. Until they turn 30 and they realize that they're just like you.

Sometimes I listen to music while hiking. Connecting with nature, hearing the frogs and birds and leafs is terribly interesting, but hiking alone can be so long and monotonous, and some porton of good music make my day. Of course, it's also a great opportunity to listen all the songs I wanted to hear for a long time. When I turn on my player and hear certain songs it gives me specific memories of my time on the trail. The interesting thing is the songs that make me recall the trail for the most part is comprised of songs I had never heard before.

Comment

Sometimes I listen to my favorite bands on hikes. It's not like I'm bored of a trail or anything. I just really like music.

Comment

...percentages have been holding steady, roughly 1 in 5 of us listen to music at least sometimes while hiking. That's about what I would have expected.
          ADK 46/46W, Grid 232/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by jensaito View Post
            hiking alone can be so long and monotonous, and some porton of good music make my day.
            I hike with the music of nature.
            (I suspect that somebody else already said this, but do not remember the name of this person.)

I am never bored out there.
            All the time I find a lot of interesting stuff to observe.

Comment

I listen to the music in my head. For some reason I always end up with an earworm on a hike and then hope I have it on my ipod for when I get back to the car.

Comment

I love music, but I hike to get out into nature. I want to be present with whatever is there already, whether silence, water sounds, birds (& for someone interested in birds, cutting off sound means missing more of them), wind. When I used to hike more often with others, I preferred companions who could hike in silence at least some of the time. I get plenty of music and plenty of talk in the rest of my life.

Comment

I may be the guy who can't chew gum and walk at the same time, but I find my likelihood of tripping increased. I can't even think when I'm hiking because I'm too focused on my steps for my mind to wander. Then again, that's what I like about hiking the most, being totally present. Interesting poll...thanks autochromatica.

Comment

Alright... you all missed it so I got it... The hills are alive with the sound of music!
                    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
                    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Makwa
                      Makwa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Climb Ev'ry Mountain

• autochromatica
                      autochromatica commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not quite, Joe mentioned it in post #11! But just like then, I'm pretty sure that was the Alps.

Never. The music of the forest is the most beautiful music I know. Especially at night.

Comment

I'm on the outside looking inside. And inside is where my music is. I can't keep my brain from improvising as I walk. Otherwise only the music of nature.

Comment

Working...
                      X