Poll: Do You Hike With Music?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Do You Hike With Music?

I love the solitude of the wilderness, and listening to cascading brooks and singing birds. But there is also something about listening to music while hiking alone which is cathartic.

I'm curious how everyone else feels about listening to music while hiking. Poll results are not public, so you can be honest about putting on music when you're hiking with that certain someone.
    Yes, all the time
    0%
    Some of the time
    8.20%
    Never
    70.49%
    Only when I'm hiking alone
    6.56%
    Only when I'm hiking with others ;)
    0%
    Only if you count me singing or playing the flute
    11.48%
    Something else (feel free to reply with a comment)
    3.28%
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 232/552
    Photos & Stuff

Something else:

​Music? Very rarely (once or twice, so far) and only when hiking alone.
    ​Podcasts? Yes and only when hiking alone.

Looking for Views!

Comment

• autochromatica
      autochromatica commented
      Editing a comment
      Podcasts! Of course.

I talk to the wind, my words are all carried away.

I once listened to (classical) music skiing up the WF road and then kept the earbuds in to Esther and back. I really enjoyed it but only did it that once.

Comment

• JimB
      JimB commented
      Editing a comment
      The wind does not hear, the wind can not hear.

I've seen you play to the wind as well.

Ode to Black Pond.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

I would have answered "never", and I think that's still true on the trails - but some of my hikes have quite a few undesirable road miles and/or a long wait at the trailhead for a ride home. And anything that could make route 73 walking more palatable is welcome...
      ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

Comment

I don't, but mostly because it scares the ever living sh*t out of me when somebody passes me and I couldn't hear them approaching.
        “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” - Ed Viesturs

Comment

Can't say I've yet hiked to music of my own choosing.

One of the most out-there thing's I've seen was a hiker who had a speaker hooked up to his pack and was blasting music up the trail... glad we passed him going in the other direction. That kind of stuff seems like a bit of an affront to me.

Edit- I find that the quiet is one of my favorite things about hiking.

Comment

Originally posted by greenmountaingoat View Post
          Can't say I've yet hiked to music of my own choosing.

One of the most out-there thing's I've seen was a hiker who had a speaker hooked up to his pack and was blasting music up the trail... glad we passed him going in the other direction. That kind of stuff seems like a bit of an affront to me.

Edit- I find that the quiet is one of my favorite things about hiking.

I can't imagine subjecting anyone other than myself to my music. To do this in the wilderness is unthinkable.

I see this at the beach all the time, people (mostly from New Jersey ) subjecting a wide swath of beach to their horrible 60s-80s standard rock crap. I just want to hear the ocean, man!
          ADK 46/46W, Grid 232/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Kitsune_Soba
            Kitsune_Soba commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately, I see this all the time in the Hudson Highlands areas. I haven't seen it in the Catskills yet, in the Cats and Daks I'd be much more inclined to tell them to turn it off. But go up Breakneck Ridge on a Saturday and find just how "unthinkable" many teenagers find this...

• Neil
            Neil commented
            Editing a comment
            My all time best sighting was coming down Cascade in heavy rain. A guy was going up with a good-sized ghetto blaster on his shoulder wearing jeans and a cotton hoody.

• Hear the Footsteps
            Hear the Footsteps commented
            Editing a comment
            Twice. One time a single the other a group with a speaker going music playing

Only time I listen to music is lift-served in-bounds free skiing (i.e., not on Ski Patrol duty). Any other time, I want, and need, to be in touch with my surroundings.

Comment

I listen to music frequently in the Adirondacks. Mostly FM radio on my ear bud portable and when possible. Not always possible due to adjacent or same frequency stations.
            Don
            Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 05-02-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I read somewhere earbuds can cause cancer. Why take the risk when the hills are alive with the sound of music already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• autochromatica
                autochromatica commented
                Editing a comment
                That was the Alps, Joe. Definitely have never seen that in the ADKs.

Only 30 votes...but the trend so far is consistent, under a quarter of us listen to music while hiking.
              ADK 46/46W, Grid 232/552
              Photos & Stuff

Comment

I definitely do. Especially if I am alone. I do a lot of round trips to Lake Colden without climbing peaks. Frankly, I am a bit burnt out on the Calamity Trail because of that. Music helps the miles pass a bit quicker. Or maybe it just helps keep the boredom at bay.
                Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Can't hear anything with the sound of my heart pounding in my ears
                  "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                  Ed Viesturs

Comment

I feel isolated from my surroundings with headphones, so only use them in places I'd rather not be (airplanes, waiting rooms, etc. - never hiking)

However while hiking, I nearly always have a tune going through my head, usually to the beat of pounding boots on dirt, and with an unintentional whistle escaping my lips on occasion. For some reason this has been the Pixies' "Vamos" for the past dozen or so hikes...
                    -Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X