Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HPIC to Close Temporarily

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HPIC to Close Temporarily

    Starting Oct 24th through late Dec, the HPIC will be closed. Starting Oct, 27th the HPIC will be operating out of a small heated tent. There will access to Port-a-Johns but no porcelain facilties.

    Presumably this will be for their big remodel. They haven't stated why they are closing the building yet that I'm aware of.
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

  • #2
    On ADKs Instagram the reason was confirmed as being for renovations.
    Don

    Comment


    • #3
      Withholding judgment until I see the finished HPIC. (I have to say, my impression when I saw the plans was that it was "less space for hikers to change their shoes and pack their packs; more space for bull**** marketing and sales." But we will see when it's done.)

      Comment


      • #4
        I never saw a problem with the building as it was... therefore I'd say any changes will probably be negative.
        46er #9404
        Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145945713@N02/
        http://www.athikerpictures.org/syste...jpg
        https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          While I'm not against updating the facility in general, I agree with tcd's point that the proposed plan looks like the HPIC will more closely resemble a store. Basically take the amount of retail space it currently has and swap it out with the current amount of hiker utility space and that's what they're doing. It seems like a missed opportunity to put up more signage and info-graphics or whatever works to keep people from sh*tting on the trails or setting up illegal camps, or the other dozen or so things that people do out of laziness or ignorance. Kind of like, well, an actual information center.
          My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

          Comment


          • #6
            They need to close a parking lot or two while they're at it.

            (and get off my lawn, I suppose)
            46er #9404
            Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145945713@N02/
            http://www.athikerpictures.org/syste...jpg
            https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tcd View Post
              ... bull**** marketing and sales."...
              That is what ADK does best.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tcd View Post
                Withholding judgment until I see the finished HPIC. (I have to say, my impression when I saw the plans was that it was "less space for hikers to change their shoes and pack their packs; more space for bull**** marketing and sales." But we will see when it's done.)
                May I ask, where did you see the plans?
                Don

                Comment


                • #9
                  In my case it was in an ADK email a couple months ago, but I did not keep the email.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tcd View Post
                    In my case it was in an ADK email a couple months ago, but I did not keep the email.
                    Well I probably got that too. I'll have to check if I kept it. Thanks.
                    Don

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hear the Footsteps Let us know if you can find it, especially if you can link to it. As I recall it was mentioned in the email and there was a link to the full article with the plans. I went back through the ADK archives and the past year's worth of emails/news letters and cannot find the link. I'm starting to think they removed it.
                      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
                        Hear the Footsteps Let us know if you can find it, especially if you can link to it. As I recall it was mentioned in the email and there was a link to the full article with the plans. I went back through the ADK archives and the past year's worth of emails/news letters and cannot find the link. I'm starting to think they removed it.
                        I checked emails too. I must have deleted it.
                        Don

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The information about the HPIC closing is posted under "News" on the ADK website.
                          We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks, Deb. It's good to see and useful info that they will still be managing microspike rentals - it is spike season for sure.

                            The email we are looking for was from a couple months ago, and it showed the proposed new floor layout in the HPIC. Basically taking away most of the "chairs and table" space that we have all used for years to pack packs and put on footwear, and replacing it with more "retail sales" floor space.

                            Comment


                            • debmonster
                              debmonster commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Ah, sorry for not realizing that. I'll check my emails as well to see if I still have it.

                          • #15
                            I found the new floor plan layout on pages 31-32 of Adirondac magazine from July/Aug 2016.
                            We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X