Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Printable USGS PDF Quads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Printable USGS PDF Quads

Saw a story on-line about this dated 8/12/16 so I assume this is a new feature. From the NatGeo web site: "National Geographic has built an easy to use web interface that allows anyone to quickly find any quad in the country for downloading and printing. Each quad has been pre-processed to print on a standard home, letter size printer. These are the same quads that were printed by USGS for decades on giant bus-sized pressed but are now available in multi-page PDFs that can be printed just about anywhere. They are pre-packaged using the standard 7.5 minute, 1:24,000 base but with some twists:
    • Page 1 is an overview map showing the Quad in context
    • Pages 2 through 5 are the standard USGS Quads cut in quarters to fit on standard printers
    • Hillshading has been added to each page of the PDF to help visualize the topography
    *Please note: 0.5% of the quads have not been processed yet. These quads will appear as originally published by USGS."

http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads

Having browsed here on my iPhone, I like what I see. I like page 1 which is an index based on the 1:100,000 series. I especially the fact that a considerable amount of area outside the desired quad is shown. I'll have to look at this site using a real computer!
    Mike

ADK 46r #8003; 6W
    2nd round: 16
    SL6r #596
    Catskill 3500 21/39; 11W

Comment

There's also the horse's mouth, namely the National Map produced by the USGS. It is the latest version of the USGS topographic map of the US.
      http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/...tle=Map%20View

FWIW, Caltopo offers more customization and flexibility than either the USGS or Nat Geo. The map can be from the USGS or from more than a dozen other sources. You can layer one map on top of another (examples: USGS Topo and Google Satellite or Google Terrain and OpenStreetMap). You can upload a GPS track and layer it onto whatever map you've selected or draw a route directly in Caltopo.

​For printing, you can select multiple separate or overlapping areas of interest. An optional overview page can be created showing all areas.

Printing options include:
      • Page Size: 8.5x11, 8.5x14, 11x17, etc
      • Scale: Not Fixed, 1:12000, 1:24000, 1:25000, etc, Custom
      • Format: Geospatial PDF, JPEG
      • Grid Lines: Yes/No, UTM/USNG, Lat&Lng in Degrees/Deg Min
      • Datum: WGS84/NAD27
      The resulting printed map remains on Caltopo's server for 30 days and its link can be shared with your hiking companions.

​PS
      The "TF Outdoors" map combines a shaded topographic map with data from OpenStreetMap to produce an attractive and (fairly) up-to-date map of the High Peaks. http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.15...5111&z=17&b=oo
      Last edited by Trail Boss; 08-15-2016, 08:23 AM.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post

FWIW, Caltopo offers more customization and flexibility than either the USGS or Nat Geo. The map can be from the USGS or from more than a dozen other sources. You can layer one map on top of another (examples: USGS Topo and Google Satellite or Google Terrain and OpenStreetMap). You can upload a GPS track and layer it onto whatever map you've selected or draw a route directly in Caltopo.
      Totally agree with Trail Boss on the benefits of Caltopo. I've used it exclusively for the last three years or so. Great features and easy to use.

The resulting printed map remains on Caltopo's server for 30 days and its link can be shared with your hiking companions.
      Or you can download the map as a PDF.

Comment

Thanks for the link. That does seem useful.

Comment

For rhoaw inclinseed toward SAR there is SARtopo.com, you can define search block polygons, team assignments, and other features of value to SAR
          Last edited by Nessmuk; 08-20-2016, 03:15 PM.
          "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

There's also the horse's mouth, namely the National Map produced by the USGS. It is the latest version of the USGS topographic map of the US.
            http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/...tle=Map%20View

​For printing, you can select multiple separate or overlapping areas of interest. An optional overview page can be created showing all areas.

Printing options include:
            • Page Size: 8.5x11, 8.5x14, 11x17, etc
            • Scale: Not Fixed, 1:12000, 1:24000, 1:25000, etc, Custom
            • Format: Geospatial PDF, JPEG
            • Grid Lines: Yes/No, UTM/USNG, Lat&Lng in Degrees/Deg Min
            • Datum: WGS84/NAD27

​PS
            The "TF Outdoors" map combines a shaded topographic map with data from OpenStreetMap to produce an attractive and (fairly) up-to-date map of the High Peaks. http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.15...5111&z=17&b=oo

I have never claimed to be a brain surgeon, so this Caltopo thing has me baffled. It shows maps in metric, and even when I go in and change it to feet, it continues to show metric. What am I doing wrong?
            It's not about winning, but the rivers you cross.

Comment

Is there a way to download a file so it will work with apps like PDF Maps? Or is there a way to make PDF Maps read these files?

Comment

Working...
              X