Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilleberg tents, anyone?

Hi all,

I am looking for a tent and am curious about how many folks here actually use Hilleberg tents. I am almost certain that I want a four-season tent (though I am a slight bit worried about breathability in the summer. That said, I am not looking to camp out on 90 degree days in the highpeaks anyway...) so as to allow me to enjoy being out in the three-seasons while also having the option to try out winter camping next year and the years to come. As I've been doing my research for a four-season, weatherproof tent that can withstand the terror of a bad storm and/or high winds, I almost always come across people recommending Hilleberg tents as THE tent. I am curious though, how many of you actually own a Hilleberg tent?

Currently, I am looking at the Hilleberg Jannu and haven't really found an equivalent tent that doesn't have issues with set-up, durability or other important factors. Therefore, I am strongly considering just biting the bullet and picking one up. But, before I do so, I'd love to hear opinions from more experiences campers!

FYI: Some personal background: I plan to be camping in the Cats, Daks and Whites highpeaks in the Spring, Summer and Fall months. Once I get some more money for the rest of my winter gear, I also hope to enjoy what winter has to offer in these regions! I know that winds and storms can get bad around here so I need something that can hold up!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Mike

I used a Jannu for 12 nights in Alaska, it was a great little tent. Easy to setup and had a decent sized vestibule. We didn't have any truly bad weather but it did fine with 2+ feet of snow we got one night. It was a bit cramped for two people but I've dealt with much worse before.

I also just recently purchased a Nallo 3GT but I have not used it yet so I can't comment on it.

Comment

Well, I must say, for five pounds, the Hilleberg Nammatj looks like a phenomenal compromise. My girlfriend and I are both students so funds matter quite a bit - 500 on a tent that can reasonably work for four seasons while lasting a long time is the ideal. Otherwise I'd likely be buying two separate tents as suggested.

Then again, perhaps I should keep my eyes open for good sales on a good three season...

Comment

Check eBay. I won a Sierra Designs 2-man Alpha tent for $80 about three years ago. It was in excellent condition and came with a footprint. It is sturdy enough for winter use but I usually use it for car-camping. I have another (lighter) 2-man tent for 3-season backpacking.

There's nothing wrong with using a winter-rated tent in summer, other than carrying more weight than is needed in the form of unnecessary load-bearing strength and doubled doors (mesh and fabric). If you don't mind carrying an extra 2-3 pounds on every trip for the next decade or so, on the off-chance you might use the tent during winter, then go for a winter-rated tent. FWIW, I'd get a 3-season tent and rent/borrow a winter tent if and when I needed one.
        Looking for Views!

Comment

Actually ventilation is a big issue for summer tent camping IMO and 4 season tents usually don't do very well in that regard. I have to agree with Altbark and say that there's really no single tent solution for all seasons. You can get a very nice summer tent that weighs 4 lbs on ebay or at a discount place for less than $200, and save your money for the winter shelter when you need it. You'll be happier in the summer.

Tarptent users seem to love them, so I'd take a look at those. I have an older sierra designs lightning; it was cheap and works great for summer use, although mostly I use it for solo trips with two dogs. Two people would be okay but snug, two people and a dog or lots of gear would be pretty tight.

Comment

Mike, I am in the same place as you, at the moment. Hilleberg certainly seems the way to go, and I've gone through their catalogue line by line, changing my preferences almost every time I open the catalogue. I too thought I'd need a 4-season tent but I think I've been dreaming. As Al says above, don't buy for the future, buy for what you're realistically going to do now. The Rogen looks fantastic and that's probably what I'm getting next month. The few complaints that the 4-season tents get (at least that I've found online) is that there's no circulation--something I definitely would want for Adirondack mountain air! Although I kept wondering if I'd need a 3-person tent just for the room and if we needed it for an additional friend, I realized I'd been trying to buy for all the "if's" and none of the current needs. Your own choice, of course, and the Hillebergs are costly. It would be hard to imagine going wrong with any one of them, frankly. But if winter hikes are definitely in your future, then you have to factor that in. For me, I'm waiting for the snow to melt down a bit
            Jim

"A full appreciation of mountains is not to be experienced by merely looking; that is why men climb." -Francis S. Smythe, British mountaineer

Comment

I have the Nallo 4 GT and love it.
              Ray

Comment

Hilleburg tents are hands down the best mountaineering tents around. I have spent a month living in a mountain hardwear ev 3 in the north cascades while my friends had a hilleburg keron nedless to I was real jealous of there waterproof bathtub floor and lack of condensation.

Comment

Very informative thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X