Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADKHP Wiki

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADKHP Wiki

Last year we began discussing an ADKHP Wiki. We thought this would be a good resource for hiking information, so we began the process of setting up a wiki and with the help of a few forum memebers, we began adding content. We now have a working wiki and it is tied into the forum, so we decided that now is as good a time as any to open it up to everyone. There is a lot of content that needs to be added, so feel free to jump in and start typeing.

What is a wiki?

A wiki is a website which allows its users to add, modify, or delete its content via a web browser usually using a simplified markup language or a rich-text editor.

What's in the ADKHP Wiki?

In this case, the content is focused on the same information that is exchanged on the forum. We have set up lists of mountains, trail-heads, places of note, etc. A page for a mountain could contain geographic information, history, information about trails to its summit, and even recent conditions. Similarly a page for a trail-head could contain directions to its location, parking regulations and fees, and trails and popular hikes which originate there.

There are a lot of missing pieces in the content that is currently there, and we are hoping that by opening this up to the forum now, that forum members will jump in and add some information, making the wiki more useful for everyone.

Although the content is currently centered on the Adirondacks, someone who is interested in adding content could information about any other mountain range (Catskills, New England ranges, etc).

What content is appropriate?

We want to have useful information that can serve as a reference for the activities that we all enjoy. However, we don't want to plagiarize other sources. So if you want to add a description of the view from Indian Falls, great! But describe it in your own words, don't copy it from somewhere else.

This isn't meant to be a guidebook, so some basic information on the trail from trail-head ABC to summit XYZ is good, but it doesn't need to go in depth describing every turn along the way.

How do I participate?

Viewing of information is open to the public – anyone on the internet can see the site and read the content. If you would like to add or edit content, you need a forum account. If you are logged into your forum account AND checked the box that says "Remember Me?" when you logged in, your forum account credentials will allow you to add to and edit the wiki.

At the bottom of each page, at the left end of the gray bar, there is an "Edit" link. Clicking there will take you to the edit screen for that page. The content will look funny because it is in a markup language*. Be careful here, because changing the markup will affect how the information is displayed. The tool bar across the top will generate the mark-up for you, if you have a piece of text highlighted and then click the icon for the formatting that you want. The preview button at the bottom will give you a preview of the content that you have changed. You can then choose to save (Store button) or cancel the changes.

* A markup language is a modern system for annotating a document in a way that is syntactically distinguishable from the text. When you make a post on the forum, you use a mark up language to format text such as making it [B]bold[/B], or changing the [COLOR="Red"]color[/COLOR]. The markup language in the wiki is different than what the forum uses, but this gives you an example with which you are familiar.

Here is some documentation about the wiki formatting:
    http://docs.wikkawiki.org/FormattingRules

What if I have problems with the wiki?

The wiki is still in its early stages, and you may run into some issues. If so, you can post in this thread or send me a PM.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/
    ADKHP Wiki

I'd forgotten all about that thread. Thanks for starting it up. It has potential to become a great resource. Once it's matured a little bit, I think it'll be important to link it to the top bar so everyone using the site is aware of it. TRs and other informational posts still will be important -- it'll be interesting to see how the two types of data streams interact....

Comment

Kyler, this is great and thanks for starting this. If we have questions re: content, are you the appropriate point of contact?
      We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post
        Kyler, this is great and thanks for starting this. If we have questions re: content, are you the appropriate point of contact?
        Yes, you can send me a PM.
        ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Thanks for doing this Kyler........ Awesome stuff.
          "The forest is the poor man's overcoat. " Old Northeastern Proverb

Comment

Grace and Carson

Thanks for your work on this Kyler (and the rest)! Can't wait to look at it when I have more time.

Seeing Snickers' post today, spurred me to ask the following:

I wonder, would it be possible to change the listings for S.Dix and E.Dix to Carson and Grace, respectively? The 46Rs have been working to change these redundant names for some time, and according the 46R web site, "local useage is the determinant according to the United States Board of Geographic Naming, using the new names whenever referring verbally or in writing to these two peaks will in time make a world of a difference!" (I noticed that parenthetical mention is made of the proposed names, but was thinking maybe it could be the other way around, listing them as Grace and Carson, with a mention that they are currently referred to as East and South Dix.)

Here's the link (scroll down)for some additional information.
            Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

I haven't seen the latest version of the ADK 46er's peak list but the one I have from 2011 does not use Grace and Carson. The ADK Mountain Club's High Peaks Guide 13th (edition) does not use Grace and Carson either. They do mention the effort to have East and South Dix renamed to Grace and Carson but you won't find the new names in any peak list nor in the index (or maps).

The question is: should the ADK High Peaks Foundation show leadership on this issue, and implement Steve's suggestion, or defer to the status quo and avoid confusing newcomers. They will be hard-pressed to find Grace and Carson in guide books, maps, and anywhere else other than the Foundation's wiki.

If the ADK 46ers were on board as well, and changed their peak list, aspiring 46ers would be indoctrinated early in their 46er quest and give this movement more traction.
              Looking for Views!

Comment

If you click on either the first sentence refers to either Grace or Carson respectively.
                I suppose it would be possible to list them in parenthesis next to the "official" names.
                "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

FWIW, the ADK 46ers web site's online list of peaks also lacks the proposed new peak names (as of April 1st,2013).

http://www.adk46er.org/peaks/index.html.

It doesn't have any footnotes describing the movement to rename the two peaks. In light of this conversation, to get 20th century Adirondack luminaries recognized, it's ironic to see MacNaughton still merits a footnote.
                  Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                    FWIW, the ADK 46ers web site's online list of peaks also lacks the proposed new peak names (as of April 1st,2013).

It doesn't have any footnotes describing the movement to rename the two peaks.....
                    It may be simply a matter of getting and keeping their website up to date. Here's the link provided on the new page on how to join. This does list them as Carson and Grace with E.Dix and S.Dix in parentheses.
                    Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
                      Thanks for your work on this Kyler (and the rest)! Can't wait to look at it when I have more time.

Seeing Snickers' post today, spurred me to ask the following:

I wonder, would it be possible to change the listings for S.Dix and E.Dix to Carson and Grace, respectively? The 46Rs have been working to change these redundant names for some time, and according the 46R web site, "local useage is the determinant according to the United States Board of Geographic Naming, using the new names whenever referring verbally or in writing to these two peaks will in time make a world of a difference!" (I noticed that parenthetical mention is made of the proposed names, but was thinking maybe it could be the other way around, listing them as Grace and Carson, with a mention that they are currently referred to as East and South Dix.)

Here's the link (scroll down)for some additional information.
                      The beauty of and purpose of a WIKI is that it is user editable. I have edited the East Dix entry to reflect the preferred name.
                      Last edited by imarchant; 04-01-2013, 12:23 PM. Reason: quoted wrong person.
                      I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.

- E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post

It doesn't have any footnotes describing the movement to rename the two peaks. In light of this conversation, to get 20th century Adirondack luminaries recognized, it's ironic to see MacNaughton still merits a footnote.
                        True, but the peak list in the new 46-er application lists Grace and Carson with their respective traditional names in parentheses, viz:

http://www.adk46er.org/pdf/Questionnaire_2013.pdf

Note also there's no mention of MacNaughton here. IIRC, the old application asked if you either had or intended to climb that (spurious?) 4Ker.

[Oops, too slow...PA RR beat me to the Quick Reply]
                        Last edited by Biji; 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM. Reason: Added [ ]

Comment

OK, using the ADK 46ers updated list as a guide, I have updated imarchant's entry for Grace Peak to reflect their nomenclature (Proposed name takes prominence and official name is parenthesized).

The list of Adirondack Mountains now has "Carson Peak (South Dix)" and "Grace Peak (East Dix)".

The PageIndex contains entries for South Dix and East Dix. These are stubs (landing pages) that redirect the user to the appropriate page (Carson or Grace).

The peak's description explains the name (Carson or Grace) is the proposed name and not the official name (South or East Dix) and explicitly indicates support for the initiative to rename the peaks. If this is not the ADK High Peak Foundation's position, then let me know and I'll delete the sentence.
                          Looking for Views!

Comment

The Mountaineer Patches are ahead of the curve:
                            -Joe

Comment

Added list of lean-tos in the Adirondack Park.

I don't intend to announce every little thing I do in the Wiki but I feel this is a significant addition worth mentioning.

I took DSettahr's lean-to spreadsheet, extracted all lean-tos in the Adirondack Park, did a metric tonne of data-grooming to ensure the lean-to page names conform to WikkaWiki naming rules, ensured a lean-to's page name isn't confused with a location's page name (i.e. Giant the lean-to vs Giant the mountain), and rendered it in a nice table format. Here's the result (categorized by zone): http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/LeanTos

Now if we can only get DSettahr to contribute his extensive album of lean-to photos, we can begin to flesh out descriptions and images for each shelter. His post "The largest collection of lean-to pictures ever (probably) (image heavy)" is a nice sampler but the supplied images are groupings of several lean-tos and not individual photos.

I've added a description for Ore Bed Brook lean-to so feel free to copy its contents to use as a template to create other lean-to pages.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/OreBedBrookLeanto

As soon as I learn how to add Google Map coordinates, I'll add it to the Ore Bed Brook Lean-to page.
                              Looking for Views!

Comment

Working...
                              X