Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bear Canisters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Canisters

What do you guys use? Pros? Cons? I figured I better get one for the High Peaks area if I'm camping since its required. I just don't want to waste my money on junk and have to purchase another down the road.

Steve
    26/46
    4/46 W

We have the Backpacker Food Cache, both full and half size (so we don't have to carry a ton of weight if we are just doing one overnight).

We bought ours at EMS (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...359843.3835286)

Works perfectly (though since no bear has TRIED to get in, I guess I can't say haha), but we have no complaints. It's a little heavy, but I don't know that you can really sacrifice weight with this item.
    Mountain Wolf ... aka: Jeanette

46er: June 9th, 2012

"We listened for a voice crying in the wilderness. And we heard the jubilation of wolves!" -Durwood L. Allen

Comment

Originally posted by MountainWolf View Post
      We have the Backpacker Food Cache, both full and half size (so we don't have to carry a ton of weight if we are just doing one overnight).

We bought ours at EMS (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...359843.3835286)

Works perfectly (though since no bear has TRIED to get in, I guess I can't say haha), but we have no complaints. It's a little heavy, but I don't know that you can really sacrifice weight with this item.
      seems to be the go to can but didnt know they offered the half size, i know bearboxer does. full size is not that heavy.. ive used it for two, holds 4 days of food easy...solo shorter trips its nice for food/snacks and garbage..
      ADK 46-R #6750W
      CL-50 - #51
      CATSKILLS- 9/39
      NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

No Bear Vault

Bear Vault is a great product for use anywhere except the High Peaks. See the paragraph at the bottom of the description. at REI.

Comment

I've used the advanced (double snap) BV model in the lake colden/high peaks region.
          The story is bascially 1 bear figured it out and hasn't passed it on.

Comment

Cool...Thanks for the info. I really hate to add this thing to my backpack with what they weigh. But I guess I'd rather have my food safe than in a bears belly.

Steve
            26/46
            4/46 W

Comment

The one I use needs a quarter to open it (someone will know the brand). I'm confident that bears cannot open this, since they have no pockets in which to hold their quarters.

On the down-side... it's one of the first, and is a bit heavier than the others.
              Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthBay View Post
                Cool...Thanks for the info. I really hate to add this thing to my backpack with what they weigh. But I guess I'd rather have my food safe than in a bears belly.

Steve
                In making the requirement, I don't think DEC was concerned about the bears getting your food, they were concerned about the bears getting YOU.

Comment

Bare boxer contender, it's the smallest, and good for one person. It's lasted me 3 nights, and could have gone longer.

Comment

Originally posted by lionelhutz View Post
                    I've used the advanced (double snap) BV model in the lake colden/high peaks region.
                    The story is bascially 1 bear figured it out and hasn't passed it on.
                    The problem with the bearvault "improvement" is that the bear is basically just ripping the lids of the canisters. Adding a second snap does nothing to make this any harder for the bear to do.

If you purchased it at EMS, they should take it back and give you a full refund. (At least, they did for me.)

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey View Post
                      The one I use needs a quarter to open it (someone will know the brand). I'm confident that bears cannot open this, since they have no pockets in which to hold their quarters.

On the down-side... it's one of the first, and is a bit heavier than the others.
                      I was mugged by a bear last weekend. He stole my wallet and all the change from my pockets, so watch out, he's got the key to your food.

Comment

What do you guys use? Pros? Cons? I figured I better get one for the High Peaks area if I'm camping since its required. I just don't want to waste my money on junk and have to purchase another down the road.

Steve
                        I went with the Bearikade Scout; 1 pound, 11 ounces empty.

http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html

Comment

Originally posted by sukigraybaby View Post
                          I went with the Bearikade Scout; 1 pound, 11 ounces empty.

http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html
                          thats alot of coin for 1#...
                          ADK 46-R #6750W
                          CL-50 - #51
                          CATSKILLS- 9/39
                          NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

I was darn near sold on one of the Bearikades until I saw the price tag on them... Holy crap! They do look nice and well built and I'm a firm believer of "You get what you pay for", but man I think I'll have to put up with the extra weight on the Garcia. I wouldn't have a coin left to open the Bearikade.

Steve
                            26/46
                            4/46 W

Comment

I was darn near sold on one of the Bearikades until I saw the price tag on them... Holy crap! They do look nice and well built and I'm a firm believer of "You get what you pay for", but man I think I'll have to put up with the extra weight on the Garcia. I wouldn't have a coin left to open the Bearikade.

Steve
                              i think you will be very happy with Garcia.... I am.. and only at $70 or so, you can fill it with many Cheeseburgers...
                              ADK 46-R #6750W
                              CL-50 - #51
                              CATSKILLS- 9/39
                              NPT Complete 7-6-13

Hiking photos

Comment

Working...
                              X