Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peakbagger spreadsheet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"MHC" flanked by wings? How demure! I'm surprised they don't have a <ahem> cheekier rocker.
    Looking for Views!

Comment

Do I spy a Kelty Haiku under those rockers?

Originally posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
      Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineLamb View Post
        That's fun! a great visual, but wow...you must have dreamed all this up last May as you apparently don't hike in May???
        I don't hike in May cuz I is skeered of black flies.

Originally posted by WinterWarlock View Post
        There should be a patch for simply creating the spreadsheet....nice job Dunbar, thanks.
        I don't need a patch. Rik's continued thanks is all the satisfaction I need.

Originally posted by veggielasagna View Post
        Thanks Dunbar! I have been using the previous version since I started hiking the ADK High Peaks. Great additions, I'll have to look at it more closely this evening
        I don't remember all of what is included in the old version, but you should be able to just copy over the data from the old sheets to the new ones without a problem.
        Hike Always.
        http://dunbarsm.wordpress.com

Comment

Awesome job Dr. Dunbar!

(I bequeathed a PhD upon you for your work)

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
            Do I spy a Kelty Haiku under those rockers?
            Yup.

And there are several patches that are not visible, or that need to be sewed on!
            Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
            Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
            Past President Catskill 3500 Club
            CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Too cool, Steve!

Spent a couple hours adding hikes last night. Need to check my work, but the stats for my CAT3500 show 34, when I have only hiked 32 of the 39. I thought it might have to do with duplicates, but there are 5 that I've done twice, including 2 of those that you are required to climb twice.
              Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Originally posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
                I thought it might have to do with duplicates, but there are 5 that I've done twice, including 2 of those that you are required to climb twice.
                Glad you like it! For the Catskill stats, I made the % out of 39 - all the 35 plus the 4 you have to do in winter. So it counts the number of "X"s in each of the 35 cells of Column A (on the Cat3500 sheet). Then it looks at the specific cells in the Winter column (Column L) for the 4 peaks you have to climb in winter. So it needs to find a total of 39 "X"s for the Catskill list to reach 100%.

If you hike one of the 4 required "winter" peaks, you would actually receive two "X"s, one in the Completed column and one in the Winter column. So you could climb it once in winter but have it counted twice toward the 39 total. I don't recall what the actual rules are for the Catskill 3500 club - if you just hiked them all once in winter would you be eligible for the club? Or do you actually have to hike those 4 peaks twice no matter what?

I hope that makes sense...
                Hike Always.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunbar View Post
                  ...If you hike one of the 4 required "winter" peaks, you would actually receive two "X"s, one in the Completed column and one in the Winter column. So you could climb it once in winter but have it counted twice toward the 39 total. I don't recall what the actual rules are for the Catskill 3500 club - if you just hiked them all once in winter would you be eligible for the club? Or do you actually have to hike those 4 peaks twice no matter what?

I hope that makes sense...
                  Yup. That's exactly why my total is inflated by two. I have climbed Panther and Slide one time each (in winter), but it is counting them each twice.

To answer your questions, you have to hike all four designated winter peaks twice (at least once in winter). You could do them all in winter, but would still need to hike the "four" twice.

Thanks again --awesome support of my hiking geekdom.
                  Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

There's an app for that.
                    http://www.onebadant.com/solutions/89-app-solutions/81

Not as comprehensive as Dunbar's excellent contribution but it does have a peak-finding feature I had described in my theoretical ”Hiking Assistant 2.0”.

I guess the next step is to slap a QR code on each summit so you can log it more conveniently.
                    Looking for Views!

Comment

Very thorough but it lacks the Mile-High list.

I've witnessed at least one couple attempting to achieve 46er MH status. Of course, it could've been Hundred Highest; I didn't ask.

I don't know if a Winter MH list is necessary but you never know. Hikers are a hardy and resourceful lot.
                      Maybe they were working on a Grid.....
                      8000m 0/14

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
                        Yup.

And there are several patches that are not visible, or that need to be sewed on!
                        Precisely!

Your "spreadsheet" is your backpack. The sweet irony is its name, haiku. In this case, the 'visual haiku' of juxtaposing the images of a spreadsheet, filled with hard lifeless numbers, and a backpack lovingly covered in soft colorful mementos.
                        Looking for Views!

Comment

Precisely!

Your "spreadsheet" is your backpack. The sweet irony is its name, haiku. In this case, the 'visual haiku' of juxtaposing the images of a spreadsheet, filled with hard lifeless numbers, and a backpack lovingly covered in soft colorful mementos.
                          The pack actually belongs to Tom's lovely bride.

Comment

That's weird, Rik must have forgotten to hit the Thanks button.
                            Hike Always.

Comment

Now, how do we go about adding 3000-footers?

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
                                Now, how do we go about adding 3000-footers?
                                Given the amount of time it would take, I would get started with a bottle of rum.
                                Hike Always.

Comment

Working...
                                X