Bear Brook lean-to removed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Brook lean-to removed

The Bear Brook lean-to about 1 mile up the Phelps trail from the Garden was removed this past weekend. Never really understood the need for this lean-to, and I don't know whether it will be rebuilt. But I thought the removal might be of interest to late arrivals who use it to sleep before hitting the trail in the a.m.

There's actually no "need" for any Leanto. But they are a nice feature of the Adirondacks. It's too bad they're being systematically destroyed. Soon enough, we'll say they WERE a nice feature...

Comment

It is being re-furbished, not removed.
      Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Good news. Thanks, Pete.

Comment

Bear Brook Lean-to will not be replaced because it is less than a mile from the trailhead. Deer Brook Lean-to is being rehabed and moved up the slope.

Comment

Originally posted by pete_hickey View Post
            It is being re-furbished, not removed.
            Originally posted by tgoodwin View Post
            Bear Brook Lean-to will not be replaced because it is less than a mile from the trailhead. Deer Brook Lean-to is being rehabed and moved up the slope.
            Opps. I got my <animal> Brook lean-tos confused. The lean-to rescue group is working there.

Now.... There is that Bald Mountain rename thingg... not too confusing... but having two <animal> Brook lean-tos within a mile.... That is confusing.
            Guinness: Goes in brown, comes out yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by tgoodwin View Post
              When we walked by it this weekend it had a blue tarp on the roof. Looks like they are starting to tear it down to move further from the trail.

Deer Brook Lean-to

Bear Brook Lean-to
              OUTDOOR SHOTS

More hiking Pictures

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 46/46 ADK
              Easy Cheese and Cheez Whiz 46/46 winter

EASY CHEESE and The Cheez Whiz 20/35 CATS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Oh well. They WERE nice...thing of the past, I guess...

Comment

Well, one less for me to have to stay in!

Funny... I just stayed in Deer Brook last week. We were debating on whether to stay in Deer or Bear Brook, and I figured I'd come back and stay in Bear Brook when I do Cascade and Porter as an overnight...

Comment

• YanaLG
                    YanaLG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    how's the challenge coming along? I came across 3 new lean-2s (new to me) over the weekend and thought of you!

Just received confirmation of my JBL lean-to reservation.

http://www.adk.org/wp-content/upload...GE-LEAN-TO.pdf

... The trail passes Bear Brook lean-to (0.9 mi) and Deer Brook lean-to (1.3mi) before reaching the Ranger Station (3.0 mi; open May Oct.) ...

Comment

Sherman and Mister Peabody enter the WABAC Machine so they can go back in time and walk past Bear Brook Lean-to!

Looking for Views!

Comment

Directions in the link also state "Continue on the yellow trail past the Ranger Station."

Did the Phelps Trail used to pass by the Ranger Station?

Comment

• Trail Boss
                        Trail Boss commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't know for sure. My old Plinth, Quoin, and Cornice Associates map shows the Phelps trail running along Johns Brook, past where the ranger station is currently located. It also shows what could be a high-water route that looks a lot like where the current Phelps trail runs (on higher ground then drops closer to the water). However, it also indicates the ranger station is on the south side of the brook ... so either a misprint or an expediency because of the map's scale.

Anyway, someone at the ADK ought to update those terribly out-of-date instructions.

You know, one of the things I used to do in my career was to check documents for errors. Apparently, it's a fairly difficult skill; and I expect through the years that there are things that I have missed.

But it appears to me that no one at ADK has even read these directions in the last 30 years. The first time I went to JBL 30+ years ago, the trail was basically where it is now, and did not "pass the ranger station."

(I guess they have the same disease as DEC, where no one read the guidebook when preparing the Dix UMP...)

Comment

The trail originally followed the old logging road down to the logging header field where the ranger station currently sits and thus it did pass the Ranger Cabin. The old trail branches off (left) from the current trail about 5 minutes before the current campsite high above the Ranger Cabin...

Comment

Thanks, Festus. That's interesting history. On our first hike in there, over 30 years ago, on the way out from JBL, we blundered onto the old, closed trail. Being newcomers, we did not notice the piled up sticks, but after about 50 feet we were in deep mud, and realized we were going down the wrong path. We backed out and went the correct way. So I think that old trail may have been closed sometime in the 1970s?

Comment

Working...
                          X