Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Gathering 2017 Food Thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Gathering 2017 Food Thread.

Each year the food is one of the most anticipated aspects of the gathering. While I won't try to determine which year had the best food, I have no doubt that we can continue the dining excellence in 2017.

If this is your first gathering the poll and the discussion serve as a general guideline that give you an idea what other people are bringing. One thing to remember is that people are usually starving after their hikes and real, home-cooked food goes a lot farther than chips.

Refrigeration: there are small bar fridges in each motel room and 2 or 3 non-commercial fridges in the motel kitchen. You might want to leave your food in a cooler with ice packs or if frozen, you can leave it to thaw in the motel kitchen.

The kitchen is fairly big with plenty of electric outlets into which you can plug in a slow cooker or warmer. There are two big gas ovens and lots of stove-top space. Knives, pots and pans and anything else you might want abound. The food is laid out on the long kitchen table and people circulate around it, filling their plates. The desserts are usually laid out on a table in the dining room. We clear the decks in the dining room by moving most (but not all) of the tables out of the way.

Check off what food you will be bringing or post it in a comment.
    Rich and filling main course dish
    27.78%
    Vegetarian main course dish
    11.11%
    Side dish, such as veggies or rice
    11.11%
    Bread, crackers, stinky cheese
    16.67%
    Appetizer
    11.11%
    High calorie dessert
    22.22%
    Last edited by Neil; 02-24-2017, 05:34 AM.

Well since it will be an Irish weekend either Corned Beef and Cabbage, Bangers and Mash, or Shepherd s Pie.
    Suggestions
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by ADKJack View Post
      Well since it will be an Irish weekend either Corned Beef and Cabbage, Bangers and Mash, or Shepherd s Pie.
      Suggestions
      And ....http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...ish-beers.html

Comment

The food thread is my favorite ...I will be there and can't wait to see everyone again this year. I am undecided about a peak and about food but most likely it will be vegetarian Lasagna
        Not all those who wander are lost....JRR Tolkien

Comment

The food thread is always great. Eating the food is even better.

Comment

i'll bring a nice cake....Mmmm......
            'As you go the way of life, you will see a great chasm. Jump. It is not as wide as you think'. From a Native American initiation rite
            'Following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been - Tool
            Lyon Mountain Trail Adopter

Comment

We're bringing Fran's seafood-tortilla lasagna. :-)
              Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Curried chicken, basmati rice, carmelized onions.

Comment

Smoked Salmon is on the menu

Comment

'I'll be bringing a marinated veggie salad
                    Carol

Comment

GREEN, AVOCADO, CILANTRO, LIME, blackbean salad ( Grasshopper food )
                      ​I would bring some purely Pinole a power food of that fuels the worlds greatest endurance runners: the Tarahumara Indians. Made with purple maize you will start jamming out to Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze and go trail running off into the night !! So we will keep it calm and green but I do highly recommend Purely Pinole hot cereal in the morning before your hike.

Comment

• autochromatica
                        autochromatica commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ummmm....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRRKYn4jOKc/

Yeah, no thanks.

• mastergrasshopper
                        mastergrasshopper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So picky HaHa
                        Looks a bit over the top.
                        I just cook up the cereal ( tart cherry / lemon flavor ) slop it in a bowl and eat it. The most I've added to it are a few bits of dried tart cherries.
                        Just read the book Born to Run then go bare foot running and set off on a 50 mile loop with a nice bowl of purely Pinole and report back !!

what are we looking at for numbers?

I will make blueberry slab pie and a vegeterian Spanish rice side dish.
                      "Adventuring can be for the ordinary person, with ordinary qualities, such as I reguard myself" - Sir Edumnd Hillary

Comment

• ADKJack
                        ADKJack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        We have found if everyone brings enough for 4-6 people the cumulative effect is still a ton of food.

So I decided on a sun dried tomato chicken dish. But in light of the forecast, I may also bring chocolate covered bacon for anyone who would like to break trail to Giant. And good beer too.

Comment

Mrs. Cedar is making a vegetarian spinach casserole for this hungry group. My job is to carry it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
                          Mrs. Cedar is making a vegetarian spinach casserole for this hungry group. My job is to carry it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Via which peak Joe? Couchie?

Comment

Working...
                          X