Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gathering 2017 peak list. Get 'em while their hot!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take Grey/Gray/Gris. MBW let me know what time your group is leaving will try to meet you or be ahead of you. and remember folks no guts, no glory, no brains.

Comment

i am hoping to be out there with a 4 legged hiking partner. not sure of a plan yet, but i will probably latch onto some group that will have me. i haven't had any legitimate trail breaking this season so it is past time i paid my dues!

Comment

• Winterberry25
        Winterberry25 commented
        Editing a comment
        how does your 4-legged companion do in this volume of snow? we have a 10 month old lab, who hasn't really been distance tested but can't get enough of the snow. we are contemplating bringing her out on Saturday...

• greatexpectations
        greatexpectations commented
        Editing a comment
        it is tough to judge as i haven't even seen this volume in a snow dump in a while but i don't suspect any dog would fare super well. my occasional partner is a 4 year old collie/lab mix - she is springy and can run for days and likes occasional playing in the deep stuff off trail. realistically she would probably just hang behind me most of the trip, but the trouble there is that if we are going too slow she could get cold. so if i have a +1 this weekend it will be a shorter trip but it is now looking like i will be solo.

best of luck if you do bring the pup!

• Winterberry25
        Winterberry25 commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks, same to you. we saw that Phelps was broken out yesterday, so we may stick with that and take the pup afterall.

One thing for sure is if you head up a trail behind whoever is breaking it out you will catch up to them fairly quickly!

Comment

MB and I are opting to ski. Isn't that why God made snow? We'll be heading to Cascade XC, probably with a leisurely 9-10am start time. PM me if interested in joining us. I think the trail fee is $12 if you don't have a season pass.
        Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

I just got off the phone with the Heart Lake HPIC. Inquired about the integrity of the ice over Avalanche Lake, Lake Colden, et al; they said follow the usual reported precautions. They said it took someone about 4 hrs to break trail from Heart Lake to Marcy Dam!
          We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

• Spike
            Spike commented
            Editing a comment
            I did the same and got pretty much the same answer . Thank you for your concerns about our safety , we will probably chose another peak anyway . We actually have a guy in our group whose job is to measure the ice cover on frozen lakes and he said it didn't feel that safe to him ... So we'll pass !
            Last edited by Spike; 03-17-2017, 02:39 AM.

• AlpineLamb
            AlpineLamb commented
            Editing a comment
            Spike did you see what Nat life commented below?

Today, 02:09 PM
            The trail is now broken over the lakes and to just before the uphill lean-to. Turns out the trail was only broken till avalanche lake. I broke the rest took me 7 hours out and back from avalanche lean-to. The lakes are safe and wind swept, travel is easy. The woods though are a pain but not that bad. All the way to uphill from lake colden I kept gauging snowfall and it was pretty much always 16-24 inches.

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post
          They said it took someone about 4 hrs to break trail from Heart Lake to Marcy Dam!
          Did they say how tall that person was? (4'6'' or 6'7''?)

So, Dial-Nip might take 6 hours.

Comment

• Natlife
            Natlife commented
            Editing a comment
            I am in the avalanche lean-to tonight. The trail is broken almost to the summit on wright. Should be broken all the way tomorrow. Some part of the way to algonquin is broken too, but I don't know how far. The trail is broken to the avalanche lean-to obviously, but not past that. The ski trail though is broken to lake colden.

Rachel and I are planning to join in this weekend for our first Winter Gathering. We're arriving late tomorrow night and staying at the Roostercomb so won't have a chance to chat with people before setting out Saturday morning. We're interested in Sawteeth and Iroquois. Wanting to know if anyone has plans for either of those. Thanks and looking forward to meeting folks and being a part of this.

Comment

• KV Streamer
            KV Streamer commented
            Editing a comment
            We are staying at Rooster Comb too. In Wolf Jaws. Maybe we will cross paths?
            We are thinking Big Slide again based on a reconnaissance Hike this evening. Folks coming off trail said Big Slide is broken out to the top.

• SnowTwiga
            SnowTwiga commented
            Editing a comment
            Rachel and I will be up and out early hopefully without disturbing folks too much. If we don't see you in the kitchen in the morning look forward to meeting you tomorrow evening. Have fun on Big Slide. We're leaning towards Sawteeth.

We are headed to Basin from the Loj
          Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

Iroquois for Ebbinghaus and I going over Algonquin
            Don

Comment

• SnowTwiga
              SnowTwiga commented
              Editing a comment
              Rachel and I are thinking Sawteeth. Look forward to meeting you tomorrow evening. We were tickled turn up in one of your trip reports as "the ladies from Weehawken" you passed on Lake Road.

Donna

We'll need to set out early at our pace and with the conditions. Hopefully that means we can contribute to packing down the snow a bit before others come behind and pass us. Still weighing out Iroquois with skiing Lake Road to Weld Trail for Sawteeth. Any thoughts on pros of cons of each considering the conditions? Thanks.

Comment

• moosebeware
              moosebeware commented
              Editing a comment
              Lake Road has a trough to Gill Brook cut-off, but no track after that...potentially. If you aren't comfortable with skiing in deep snow, this may not be the place to go.

• SnowTwiga
              SnowTwiga commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! Think we're going to give it a go. If it get's too tough we'll abandon the skis. Look forward to meeting you tomorrow evening.

I'm leaving for lake colden from avalanche pass. Will try to go to feldspar.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
              Did they say how tall that person was? (4'6'' or 6'7''?)
              I didn't ask Neil, but the HPIC guy said the fellow was from the Lollipop Guild.

Comment

• PA Ridgerunner
                PA Ridgerunner commented
                Editing a comment
                You sure it wasn't the Lullaby League?

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post

I didn't ask Neil, but the HPIC guy said the fellow was from the Lollipop Guild.
              Oh, so he was elderly. Probably had wooden snowshoes, leather moccasins, wicker pack basket....

Comment

The trail is now broken over the lakes and to just before the uphill lean-to. Turns out the trail was only broken till avalanche lake. I broke the rest took me 7 hours out and back from avalanche lean-to. The lakes are safe and wind swept, travel is easy. The woods though are a pain but not that bad. All the way to uphill from lake colden I kept gauging snowfall and it was pretty much always 16-24 inches.

Comment

• AlpineLamb
                  AlpineLamb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for this report. No open water? Not even at Colden Dam?

Sounds like a fun day just playing jn the snow!

• Natlife
                  Natlife commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No open water anywhere.

Someone just posted the following in the 4000-Footer FB group:

"I was just at the ADK Loj at 2:45 pm 3/17 to check the trail register for number of hikers signed in and their destinations. Here's today's count:

WrAlIr - 12

Marcy - 21

Phelps - 6

TT - 2

Colden - 2"

Comment

Working...
                X