Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Gathering 2017. Official Notice!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Gathering 2017. Official Notice!

Winter Gathering 2017. Save the date.
    March 17-19, 2017
    The recent snow dumps this week (3/14 - 15 and beyond) will make conditions very difficult this weekend please keep in mind the only place that we want people to reach is the dining area of the ADK Trail Inn!

It does not look very likely that we will have all 46 covered this weekend so if you are hiking please go in groups, have fun and do not be afraid to call it a day if conditions warrant. Nothing is more important than the safety of every person and of course that they bring tasty food and beverages for all to enjoy.
    See you all this weekend and as Joe H would say
    Have fun, Be Safe, Respect Nature!

As always the ADKHighpeaks Foundation's Winter gathering will be held at the ADK Trail Inn (Note that breakfast may be ordered for Sunday. Order yours when reserving).

To book yourself a room at the ADK Trail Inn you should act quickly because there aren't that many rooms available and they usually go pretty quickly. Say you're from the forum.
    • Where? ADK Trail Inn, Keene, NY 518-527-1155 For the gathering the Inn gives us a 10% off the regular rates.
    • Who? Anyone who wants to come.
    • How? People start to roll in on Friday night for some chit-chat, turn in early and do a hike on Saturday. By Saturday afternoon around 4:00, people, bearing large quantities of excellent hiker-friendly food, start showing up in the Inn's salon/dining room and they keep on showing up all evening long.
    • Food? Pot luck (there will be a thread organizing the food).
    • Additional Lodging: Tmax and Topo's World-famous Hostel Brookside Inn, Keene Valley Hostel. Also, take a look at this Trip Advisor page for Keene Valley.
    • Fund raising event: What started out in 2005 as a low-key get-together has grown into a full-blown gathering and a Foundation fund raiser.
    Considering that most people are working on some kind of list (46, 46-W, 46-4 seasons, 46-12 month grid) and that it adds some spice to the event we will attempt to get someone on top of each of the 46 on Saturday. Unless I'm mistaken we have succeeded the past 5(!) years in a row.

It would be great if everyone who takes part in this truly wonderful event donates generously to the Foundation. We are a relatively small player in the Adirondack scheme of things but our small size enables us to target our grants in such a way that they have a lot of impact. I think the expression is punching over our weight. Donations in the 100 dollar range may seem a bit high but think of how much we spend per year just on hiking.....or beer!
    Last edited by ADKJack; 03-15-2017, 08:49 AM.
    Project Full Deck Blog.
    Make a "Full-Deck" Donation to SAR

Where's our list...I want Skylight.
    #8335W, Solo 46W
    46 Grid 241/552
    NH 48 4000'

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
    Half Dome, 2009

Comment

Maybe we should start a bidding war.
      Project Full Deck Blog.

Comment

I'm going to say this again, (as I do many years), but I'm not speaking officially.

Pick ONE Peak and OWN it. (Like Colvin, or Blake, but not both. Or Dial, or Nippletop, but not both).

There are at least 2 good reasons. The 1st is that it gives more people the chance to pick their peak. The 2nd is that if you 'fail' to get your 'other' peak(s), we all 'fail', and there could have been someone else that could conceivably have gone to your other peak(s). This is a secondary goal to raising money, but it's still important (since Neil mentioned it prominently above).

And I will be making a donation again this year!
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

• Neil
          Neil commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you mean to post this in the other (peak list) thread?

• moosebeware
          moosebeware commented
          Editing a comment
          That's why I only asked for Skylight. See?? I can listen.

Some thoughts about why the gathering has always been so special, well at least for me.

For starters the community that has formed here over the years genuinely consist of some of the finest people I have come to know. The diversity of our backgrounds, careers, religion, education and social status becomes highly irrelevant when taken in the context of the passion we all have discovered in the mountains and journeys shared together either on trail or through cyber story telling.

I have experienced firsthand the compassion and generosity of those who care deeply for the safe, and environmentally conscious recreation and protection of the forest preserves. And how many have shown that passion through word, action and deed.

We are fun people. Well most of the time... I mean it doesn’t have to be fun to be fun, right?

Through the work laid down by Neil, Mavs00 ( I know who ?, just kidding Tim), and the other founders of the Foundation our little group has done amazing things to support agencies and programs that rely on grass roots organizations to exist.

I learned more than I ever wanted to about restoring and maintaining a fire tower

Let’s take a look at some of the organizations the Foundation has been able to support through the grace and generosity of everyone here.
        2008 – The Keene Valley Fire Department wilderness Recuse Team - $5,000, Gear upgrades
        2009 – The Adirondack Ski Touring Council - $5,000 Easement for the Jack Rabbit Ski trail through the McKenzie Wilderness
        2010 – The Mt. Adams Fire tower Restoration Project - $5,000 and a whole lot of hard work from some of the best volunteers on the planet.
        2011 – ADK Summit Steward Program- $5,460 Salary for a seasonal full time steward that will enable the program to establish regular coverage on Cascade Mountain.
        2012 – ADK Summit Steward Program - $5,460 year two!
        2013 – ADK Summit Steward Program - $5,460 year three!
        2013 – Search And Rescue of the Northern Adirondacks $3,200, Training, Gear, radio upgrades and insurance cost increases.
        2014 – ADK Summit Steward Program - $5,460 year four!
        2014 – Beyond Ktaadn - $5,000 – research grant for a study on one of the most endangered alpine plants in the world, Bootts Rattlesnake Root Low. DNA Sampling and baseline analysis.

2015 – ADK Summit Steward Program - $5,460 year five!
        2015 - ARCHE Productions - $500 sponsorship of “The 46ers Film” by Blake Cortright

2016 – ADK Summit steward Program - $5,500 year six!
        2016 – Lower Adirondack Search And Rescue $5,300, gear and training equipment.

So if you do the math you can plainly see what a generous and caring this community has become. $61,800 has been donated to some fine institutions.
        There is little we will not do in order to have fun, icy swims in the East Branch Ausable, Pushups in the snow, groups attempting to summit all 46 in a single day. Individuals’ summiting all 46 in 10 days in winter, and an attempt at 52 peaks in 15 days.

Whatever it takes!

Like so many things changes happen some good some not as good, we were lucky to really be at the front end of this whole social media thing and the forum structure is antiquated as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. grab more of the hiking enthusiast looking for information…now! Cie la Vis.

Anyway Last year we raised just a little over $8,500 through fundraising and membership. We made grants of $10,800 obviously this would not be considered a successful business plan for the long haul but it is important to all of us that we disperse the funds in keeping with our mission.

Can’t wait to see you all again.
        Thanks for everything!
        "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

• Winterberry25
          Winterberry25 commented
          Editing a comment
          is there a separate donations page for the gathering, or should we use the "store/donations" tab at the top of the page?

• ADKJack
          ADKJack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes Winterberry on the home page donations can be made to any of the 4 categories.

Now that's a great post Jack. Our history is growing by leaps and bounds!
        I have my checkbook in hand right now....
        Project Full Deck Blog.

Comment

I am interested in selecting Allen, how is this accomplished? We plan on hiking this peak on March 18th.

Comment

How many have booked their rooms at the inn? Filling it up is a pre-requisite to holding the event.
            Project Full Deck Blog.

Comment

I am super excited to participate finally! I am able to stay only on Sat night and as luck would have it, there was one such room available (somebody had it booked for midweek including Fri night).
              46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

• YanaLG
                YanaLG commented
                Editing a comment
                just to be clear, I booked the room for 3/18

Originally posted by Neil View Post
              How many have booked their rooms at the inn? Filling it up is a pre-requisite to holding the event.

Me and the Mrs. have a room booked.
              ADK 46/46, 46/46W, Grid 214/552
              Photos & Stuff

Comment

With regrets, We already had another place to stay-- but looking forward to hiking and gathering.
                46/46, 13/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

Comment

Bump...
                  You can claim peaks and make reservations....please
                  "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                  Ed Viesturs

Comment

There are still unrented rooms at the Inn that generously gives us the run of the entire place every year. Call now and make your reservation. 518-527-1155
                    Project Full Deck Blog.

Comment

How pet friendly is this event? We have a 10 month old lab who is still too little to hike but will be fine hanging out in her crate while we are out. We are planning to leave time between our hike (phelps?) and the potluck to hang out with her. Could she come to either of the dinner get-togethers? She is little 45lbs and well behaved around people and other pets.

I am planning to go the airbnb route for lodging unless someone here can recommend pet friendly another option?
                      "Adventuring can be for the ordinary person, with ordinary qualities, such as I reguard myself" - Sir Edumnd Hillary

Comment

• ADKJack
                        ADKJack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The ADK Trail inn does have a couple pet friendly rooms. Info here http://www.adktrailinn.com/faq.html

• PA Ridgerunner
                        PA Ridgerunner commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm guessing that dogs would not be allowed in the gathering room where we will be eating. Also, it's likely to be pretty crowded with people.

• Winterberry25
                        Winterberry25 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the info guys. I will contact the ADK Trail Inn today! It would be great to actually stay where the party is

Only 4 rooms left!! please call as soon as possible. Call now and make your reservation. 518-527-1155
                      We all know it is pretty awesome to come in Friday night get a fresh start Saturday morning, hike all day, come back beer and shower (simultaneously if you want :-) ) have a great gathering, eat way to much food, fall into bed and have a nice night sleep before heading out Sunday.
                      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Working...
                      X