Winter Gathering 2016 Food Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Gathering 2016 Food Thread

Each year the food is one of the most anticipated aspects of the gathering. While I won't try to determine which year had the best food, I have no doubt that we can continue the dining excellence in 2016.

If this is your first gathering the poll and the discussion serve as a general guideline that give you an idea what other people are bringing. One thing to remember is that people are usually starving after their hikes and real, home-cooked food goes a lot farther than chips and Twinkies. (Have we ever had Twinkies at a gathering?)

Refrigeration: there are small bar fridges in each motel room and 2 or 3 non-commercial fridges in the motel kitchen. You might want to leave your food in a cooler with ice packs or if frozen, you can leave it to thaw in the motel kitchen.

The kitchen is fairly big with plenty of electric outlets into which you can plug in many slow cookers and warmers. There are two big gas ovens and lots of stove-top space. Knives, pots and pans and anything else you might want abound. The food is laid out on the long kitchen table and people circulate around it, filling their plates. The desserts are usually laid out on a table in the dining room. We clear the decks in the dining room by moving most (but not all) of the tables out of the way.
    Calorie laden main course dish
    37.50%
    Vegetarian main course dish
    6.25%
    Side dish, such as veggies or rice
    6.25%
    Bread, crackers, pungent cheese
    12.50%
    Rich Appetizer
    18.75%
    Extreme Dessert
    18.75%

The Shepard's Pie seemed to be a big hit last year, guess I will do it again!
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

Still don't know my schedule. If I can possibly attend, I will bring Italian food.
      Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

Think I'll bring Haggus and cured walrus liver.

Comment

Fran will be bringing her Seafood Tortilla Lasagna.
          Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Smoked salmon will be there.

Comment

• Boghollow
              Boghollow commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you said the same thing last year, must have missed meeting you

• Commissionpoint
              Commissionpoint commented
              Editing a comment
              It's very hard for me to get away on weekends. The restaurant business is very unforgiving in that realm. Sometimes long laid plans for a Saturday have to be called off the preceding Thursday. It's just how my career is. At least I am able to get some Saturdays every now and then. Many people in my industry never get that opportunity. I guess I am lucky in that respect.

It's actually looking real good for me to be able to make it this year. El Niño has really made things very slow business wise.

• Boghollow
              Boghollow commented
              Editing a comment
              Hope to be introduced. We're close enough to be neighbors.

I'll bring my crockpot spinach artichoke dip as well as buffalo chicken dip.
            #7760W

Comment

ill bring pie and soda...and my sparkling personality

Comment

Ok, looks like we are gonna starve. I'm bringing chili also.

Comment

I closed the deal to free up my availability for next Saturday tonight. I hope people like meatballs.
                  Adopt a natural resource. Give back.

Comment

My wife Sherie said she would make and bring her Sweet Potato Pie. She is the talent in the family thankfully

Comment

I'll be bringing Clark Bars. Think peanut butter, chocolate, tons of calories, and maybe even a few drops from the Fountain of Youth

Comment

I will be bringing a mild vegetarian chili, with a bottle of Tobasco sauce beside the pot for them-who-likes-it-hot!
                        46/46, 25/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

Comment

We'll bring cheeses and baguettes; and some brownies too.
                          "...he went because he felt the call of the wilderness, a call ever irresistible to him in whose veins flows the blood of the explorer." Warren W. Hart

Comment

I will be bringing triple chocolate brownies and chocolate marble fudge! I hope that Hagus comment is true, always wanted to try that. lol
                            46er 3/46
                            Tupper Lake Triad #23

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/

Comment

Working...
                            X