Winter Gathering Peaks List 3/5/2016 and other activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Gathering Peaks List 3/5/2016 and other activities

For the past 3 of 4 year we have put a group or person on all 46 on the Gathering weekend. We would like to continue in this effort but also understand that there are those who would prefer alternate activities or hikes that day.
    For the interest of the group we will keep track of who is climbing what below and please if there is an interest in doing a non 46er or a ski, snowshoe as an alternative please post here so others who may be interested in joining may do so.
    Looking forward to having a great time as usual and seeing old friends, meeting new ones!

And Yes to those paying attention this is the same list Kyler put together last year. Yeah I am “that” cut and paste kinda guy
    Here is a list of the 46 High Peaks divided into easy-medium-hard.

To those who have claimed summits and to those who will be claiming summits over the next days and weeks:

Please indicate by which trail-head and route you plan on doing your peak. This will help in the pooling of trail-breaking efforts if necessary.

For example if you are doing RPR you might not want to go from New Russia after three feet of snow. You would want to contact the group leader for Giant and start out together from the trail-head so that you can alternate trail breakers all the way up the ridge trail.

Or, if you plan on Nippletop you can organize with whomever is doing Dial and determine whether you are best to do them separately, travel as a team, or each do both peaks but in opposite directions.

Easy (shorter but still challenging)

Cascade Tmax, TopofGothics, JayH
    Porter TMax, TopofGothics
    Phelps gb-mtns +
    Wright Yettskinn00 (for the W)
    Giant Waynald, Little Brown Mushroom
    Lower Wolf Jaw idratherbehiking, Mregula
    Upper Wolf Jaw idratherbehiking, Mregula
    Sawteeth ADKJack
    Algonquin rbalbs
    Whiteface mrsmileyns
    Big Slide Waynald and Little Brown Mushroom
    Tabletop KV Streamer and friends
    Esther mrsmileyns
    Street Ale House Hiking Club
    Nye Ale House Hiking Club

Moderate (Longer and more challenging)

Rocky Peak Waynald, Little Brown Mushroom
    Iroquois rbalbs
    Colvin TFR
    Blake TFR, mastergrasshopper
    Colden longlaker
    Dial moosebeware
    Nippletop moosebeware
    Armstrong idratherbehiking, Mregula
    Saddleback BarkEater, FrenchLouie, BobN, rockbiter
    Gothics idratherbehiking, Mregula
    Marcy rbalbs
    Macomb Boghollow
    Grace Boghollow
    S.Dix Boghollow
    Dix Hear the footsteps

Hard (Yup!)

Skylight rbalbs
    Gray rbalbs
    Marshall BillB
    Haystack jelaxbroc
    Basin jelaxbroc
    Cliff Brown Bear and Wife, Fiddlehead, GracePoints, Kyler
    Redfield Brown Bear and Wife, AlpineLamb, AdiDaxi, MtnManJohn, Fiddlehead, GracePoints, Kyler
    Hough Hear the footsteps
    Santanoni Rich99, BethaLuna
    Couchsachraga Rich99, BethaLuna
    Panther Rich99, BethaLuna
    Allen Wadever and Spitfire, Elau, Stephanovitch michelr Rich99
    Seward autochromatica
    Donaldson autochromatica
    Emmons autochromatica
    Seymour Rich99
    MacNaughton Oliver, Spike, Mayasoleil, Jean, Nathalie, Hiktrip, Joooles_M
    Last edited by Kyler; 03-04-2016, 01:35 PM.
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

I will take Panther. I am going to try for all 3 but I will not commit to that. Furface may be joining me. What I would really like is to team up with whoever takes Couch and Santa and try for all 3 as a group. I am a moderate to a little slower than average hiker I think. I've done 15 winter peaks. I assume we will hike from Bradley Pond trailhead and go either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on conditions. Let me know if you want to team up and do the 3.

Comment

• CoreyD
      CoreyD commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you feel about the water crossings? Do you think they'll be frozen again on Saturday? Not a big fan of crossing on logs.

I'll take Nippletop and Dial, heading up Elk Pass. Company? Maybe? Interested parties should message me.
    #8335W, Solo Winter 46
    Catskill 35 (SSW) #1235
    ADK Quest #119
    HPWA All-Trails #8 (solo)
    NE 111 113/115

NPT 2019, Trans ADK Route 2021

Comment

• idratherbehiking
      idratherbehiking commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe we'll see you while walking the first little bit on the lake road. We are heading up gothics first then working our way back

Thanks for putting this together for yet another year, guys ! We are a group of 6 interested in MacNaughton (Oliver, Spike, Mayasoleil, Jean, Nathalie, Hiktrip - am I forgetting anyone ?)
    (Not all members of this forum, but all ADK enthusiasts !

Not sure which way we'll do it yet (approach from the Loj/Wallface Ponds or from Upper Works)
    Last edited by Oliver; 01-25-2016, 08:56 PM.
    'As you go the way of life, you will see a great chasm. Jump. It is not as wide as you think'. From a Native American initiation rite
    'Following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been - Tool
    Lyon Mountain Trail Adopter

Comment

Colvin Please...
      Tom Rankin - "Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go?
      Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow.
      Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light?
      Yet, conceals it to bring us the coolness of night."​

Comment

If you plan on staying at the ADK Inn please book your room right away. It will make things a lot easier.

Comment

Forum Members get a 10% discount at the ADKTrail in that weekend!!!!!!!
        don't say I didn't warn you before it sells out
        "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

Woohoo, team Topo conquers Cascade! Thanks for the update, just noticed this here...

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
          And death is a long cold rest.
          You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
          Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
          -Pink Floyd

Comment

Spitfire and I will be heading to Allen.
            It would be nice to have company for trail breaking effort, if anyone is interested?

Comment

When is this? Am I missing the date?
              ADK HP 46/46 ADK HPW 13/46 http://www.idratherbehiking80.blogspot.com/ My photos "There's no such thing as failure who keeps trying, coasting near the bottom is the only disgrace." - John Popper

Comment

My wife Susan and I were already thinking of Cliff and Redfield from Upper Works for that weekend.

Comment

• AlpineLamb
                AlpineLamb commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there BrownBear! I just wanted to let you know that some of us are planning to do Redfield from the loj on Saturday ( some will also do Cliff). Looking forward to meeting you!

• MtnManJohn
                MtnManJohn commented
                Editing a comment
                I will be coming along with AlpineLamb as well. Look forward to seeing everyone!

• BrownBear
                BrownBear commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey AlpineLamb and MtnManJohn! It would be great to run into you! Susan and I are planning on getting an early start from UpperWorks, and doing the whack up the back of Cliff, and then on to Redfield. We are pretty slow, esp. this winter, so we'll be getting an early start. REALLY looking forward to it and the Gathering. -Robert.

I have a group of a few to several people and would like to choose Phelps Mtn for the winter gathering weekend.

Comment

Elau and i will join Wadever and Spitfire for Allen

Comment

I won't be able to go. Can't get the time off. Maybe, next year.
                  Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
                    FlyFishingandBeer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bummer, right? I'm signed up for the Shamrock Run that day and can't bail on my team, plus we have tix for Bela Fleck that evening. Double Whammy. Crap timing I guess.

Wayald and I will take Giant/RPR and Big Slide for the day. See you at the gathering.

Comment

Working...
                  X