Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most important Winter gathering thread of all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important Winter gathering thread of all.

If you are a member of a not-for profit-organization you probably receive several requests for donations throughout the year. Donations from the membership are the lifeblood of these organizations and they are not shy in asking you to cough up.

This post is our (ecological and cost-effective) version of those full colour mailings you might receive from other organizations.

The Winter Gathering is very important for every forum member, whether they attend or not. This is because ADKHighpeaks.com is a lot more than just a forum. Becoming a member here has automatically connected you to a community of wonderful people and given you an opportunity to make lifelong friends. And of course it gives you the opportunity to give something back through the Foundation.

Speaking of the Foundation if you haven't already done so you can join by clicking here and your $10 membership fee will go directly into the New York State Forest Preserve.

Last year was exceptional in that we raised $15,000 through the winter gathering and Project 46. P46 made us aware that in previous years only those (or almost only) who attended the gathering made donations to the Foundation. This has severely curtailed the Foundation's principle source of revenue over the years. Thanks to P46 we learned that one doesn't have to attend the gathering in order to make a donation.

Even though there is no Project 46 to whip up excitement and encourage you to donate we sincerely hope that you will still do so. In 2014 we were extremely pleased to be able to fund original research into the ecology and genetic diversity (via DNA sequencing) of a rare alpine plant, Boot's Rattlesnake. This funding was in addition to paying the salary of a Summit Steward on Mt. Cascade.

So, if you love this forum and you love the mountains and you wish to feel good all over please give generously. One just has to think of how much we forum members spend on gas and gear to put things into perspective.

Click on the nice donate button right away!!!
    Last edited by Neil; 01-17-2015, 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling

The Really Most Important Thing.....

As we all start to prepare for a great weekend and a possibility of:

A) Once again placing someone on all 46 high peaks

B) Cheering Waynald and Little Brown Mushroom on as they attempt the 10-15-20

The most important place to be is the ARK Trail Inn or if you are not attending the Gathering the parking area you started your hike.

We deeply appreciate the effort and support but cannot overemphasize that no amount of money or accomplishment is more important than the safety of all involved.

This is meant to be FUN, and while there are those amongst us that prescribe to the "it does not have to be fun, to be fun" mantra please keep in mind we value you each and everyone of you for who you are and thank you for being a part of this community. You are the reason that we are able to accomplish the things we do.

You are the reason the Forums and the Foundation exist.

The weather will make things challenging as the day goes on.

PLEASE TAKE CARE, BE SAFE AND JOIN US FOR A CELEBRATION OF EFFORT.
    SUMMITS ARE OPTIONAL !!!!!!

Thank you
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

What a Weekend

An interesting thing about this hiking community is its ability to take on challenges, celebrate achievements and offer congratulations and encouragement for goals not realized. And when those goals are as spectacular in scope as many were this weekend, it is right that we have a great group to share our stories.

Of course it is fun to celebrate accomplishments and there were many. There was lonely Moose Noir do wells some, Freek of peaks and family the mother of all Macs (not the Mac’s) and others who had accomplished milestones related to standing atop a few of these mountains.

We had Princely attempts by Firemen, rookies, haberdashery for mountaintops, candymountaintops with first men and obstinate canines who apparently prefer Alaskan mountains to the Adirondacks.

Of course there were to extraordinary attempts made by a couple of outlanders who have found it their mission to show us how soft we are over on this side of the lake by attempting some multipliers of 5 and putting themselves out there in the name of supporting this writers favorite charity and supporting a cause that is much more vital for quality of life of those not as fortunate.

Waynald and Little Brown Mushroom! You guys are absolutely amazing, Thank you so much for your time, dedication effort and most of all the wisdom to know when mother nature simply said, not today.As of this post you have raised almost $1,400 for the ADKHighpeaks Foundation through the donation site www.gofundme.com/10-15-20 and others have made donations directly to the foundation through its online donation site and cash contributions at the gathering.

Through your efforts and the generosity of the people here we will continue to meet our commitment to fund a full time summit steward and look forward to accepting grant requests for other projects within the scope of our mission statement.

The best part of belonging to this group and serving the members of the forums and foundation is the time we get to spend together in person with great food, drink and stories. Thank you all for making that happen again this year.
      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
      Ed Viesturs

Comment

Jack, do you have an update on how much money has been raised thus far? I know people have donated for the WG by other means than just the gofundme site. Thanks
        We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Yes,John I happy to report the generosity of the forum members resulted in;

10-15-20 raised $1,370 ($1,258 after fees)
          Gathering Donations $3,267

As you may be aware we have committed our support of the Summit steward Program to fund a seasonal full time steward so there can bee regular coverage for Cascade Mountain while also adding the ability to do more trail work and projects.

Grant requests will reopen again at the end of April.

Thanks again for everyone's support

I
          Ed Viesturs

Comment

Working...
          X