Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conditions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditions

Seems like we should have a thread dedicated to ice/snow conditions for the Big Day. For safety, of course. Also because some of us haven't been in the Adirondacks this winter. And some of us haven't even hiked much this winter. And some of us are too lazy to sift through the trip reports from the weekend. I won't say who these lazy people are.

Sounds like some rain or a bit of snow this week?
    Hike Always.
    http://dunbarsm.wordpress.com

Just get out there and do it. Just pound out those peaks.

OK, here's the skinny: conditions are mostly microspikes with a sprinkling of crampons and subtle seasonings of snowshoes. Rare spices (such as saffron) meaning ice axes may come in handy on certain routes.

All in all microspikes have done me well on 27 high peaks out of 35 this year. As with mutual funds past results do not guarantee future performance.

Comment

My planned gear loadout for Haystack includes microspikes, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, goggles, winter boots, and trail runners. I expect to use all of them.
      Hike Always.

Comment

Do you have a Sherpa?

Comment

Looking at the forecast I would say it's difficult to forecast the conditions as far as ice goes. Safest bet is to carry spikes and crampons if your planning on going up anything steep or exposed. Or down Little Haystack...

Trails like Beaver Meadows and Wedge Brook had ice patches last week (Thurs.) The West River Trail had long sections of water ice on it. Crampons were (nearly) essential going up UWJ and Armstrong.

Comment

Has anyone been across Lake Colden and Avalanche Lake recently? Is the ice safe to cross, or should it be avoided?
            ADKHP Wiki

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
              FlyFishingandBeer commented
              Editing a comment
              How recently is recent? I crossed Avalanche walking three abreast with two other people a couple weeks ago and we never felt so much as a flex or crack. Some parts of the lake had standing water on top of the ice, which was unnerving, but it felt fine.

Edit: Sorry. Didn't realize this was a born-again thread from five years ago. I hate it when that happens.

• Kyler
              Kyler commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, I don't think I'll be crossing anytime soon with the recent temps and forecast-ed temps.

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
            Has anyone been across Lake Colden and Avalanche Lake recently? Is the ice safe to cross, or should it be avoided?
            Has anyone been halfway across?
            WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
            TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

Comment

Another possibility to be prepared for is that of total whiteout conditions on certain peaks. Compass bearings studied ahead of time, GPS tracklogs and even parachute cord might make all the difference on certain peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                Another possibility to be prepared for is that of total whiteout conditions on certain peaks. Compass bearings studied ahead of time, GPS tracklogs and even parachute cord might make all the difference on certain peaks.
                Good reminder to write down a couple compass bearings in addition to the GPS. I don't plan to do any parachuting so I'll probably leave the cord behind though.
                Hike Always.

Comment

What good would parachute cord be without a parachute?

Comment

I found this mountain point forecast site from the NWS Burlington office. I've been finding it pretty handy for a short term forecast.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/point/

Generally, the Saturday forecast is looking up

Comment

So... there is little use for snowshoes?? That true? Micro and crampons should cover it??

Sounds like my kinda winter hikin!!
                      If the world were a logical place, men would be the ones who ride sidesaddle.

Comment

• tmount
                        tmount commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Gotta have snowshoes, regardless.

Damn thread resurrections. Here I was getting all pissed at Neil for advocating for MSpikes with all the friggin snow we have in the woods. Oh, what the hell, I'll just be pissed at him anyway.
                      Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Working...
                      X