Project 100 Begins!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for January 22nd:
    - Neil hiked 41 peak vs. 36 expected (expected number of peaks was calculated assuming linear progress between December 22nd and March 20th and finish of March 20th)
    - Neil is 5.0 peaks ahead of the linear progression
    - Neil hiked 118% of the number of peaks expected according to linear progression.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10WInter HH progress.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	483250
    Attached Files

Comment

• Yury
      Yury commented
      Editing a comment
      Trail Boss, you are allowed to:
      1) download this spreadsheet
      2) modify it
      3) reupload it

• Yury
      Yury commented
      Editing a comment
      I was able to fix it only after changing a chart type from "Scatter" to "Line". It looks like "Scatter" chart accepts only numerical values on X axis.

• Trail Boss
      Trail Boss commented
      Editing a comment
      @Yury
      Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day…. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

A grueling couple of days, great company, and now with 41 of a 100 behind him. Keep on a truckin, Neil!

https://project100singlewinter.wordp...nother-3-days/

Spot Follow Me
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

With 4 days of hiking, along with some great company, Neil is at the halfway point to his goal of hiking the 100 highest, within the winter season. He had some excitement on this trip to report...

https://project100singlewinter.wordp...ck-is-ticking/

Spot Follow Me

If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

"50% done" after first 40 days:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	10WInter HH progress 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	483612
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Yury; 02-01-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Half the summits. Probably only 40% of the work.
          Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think Yury is thinking of that... Unless you've been saving for a strong finish, it doesn't look good. Timing of your peak fitness will be important, due to possible fitness improving vs injuries or fatigue. And of course who knows with the weather (easy crust vs deep snow) and if your help will continue to be as steady. Sounds like Lost Pond Peak was a tough one. I don't really know the peaks you have left, just going by your 60% left analysis. But Yury can keep looking at the progress chart if he wants to. But that's not the whole story, as you're trying to inform everyone... Just catching a cold or not would be a factor. It doesn't appear that there is any leeway, and you're apparently already behind, from your analysis.
            Last edited by CatskillKev; 02-01-2018, 01:52 PM.

• hv_hiker
            hv_hiker commented
            Editing a comment
            And from the looks of the map, only 40% of the driving too =:(

• Yury
            Yury commented
            Editing a comment
            CatskillKev wrote "I don't think Yury is thinking of that... ".
            It's not up to me to think.
            It's Neil's responsibility.

In actual fact, I have divided the remaining winter up into the number of remaining hikes, not peaks or required effort. Of course, the weekends of hiking rarely go as planned and I have to re-organize my remaining hikes every week.
          As for the driving I hope to mitigate that by sleeping south (Indian Lake?) when I hit those peaks. Blue was a bit of a test. Took an hour fifteen each way from Keene.

The number of hikes or percentage of peaks done are of limited interest. What is important is how many hikes and how many hiking days remain. Currently there are 20 hikes and 28 hiking days if I include Mondays. I can do shorter hikes (Street-Nye, Slide Mtn. etc. on those Mondays.

I have an ace up my sleeve. I might take an 11-day vacation at the beginning of March. Not much of an ace because it only gets me 3 more days to hike and there is no way I would hike 11 days in a row.

Here is my list of hikes as it stands right now:
          1. Dun Brook & Fishing Brooks
          2. Sunrise, Wolf Pond, Boreas
          3. Gore (ie. permission to go up and down the ski runs)Puffer
          4. Pillsbury, Blue Ridge 56
          5. L. Moose, Cellar
          6. Wakely
          7. Buell, Panther, Brown Pond
          8. Wright, Alg, Iro, Marshall
          9. Street, Nye
          10. Gray-Sky-Marcy-HaBaSa
          11. Slide*
          12. Kilburn-Stewart-Sentinel
          13. Sawtooth 4-2-(1)
          14. Sawtooth (1)-5-3
          15. 3 Santas-Henderson
          16. L. Santa
          17. Allen, N. River
          18. Twin Blue Ridges 90 & 99
          19. Hoffman-Blue Ridge
          20. Snowy-Lewey

It is apparent that I have used up most of the shorter hikes. I burned 2 of them and missed Henderson and the Santas due to the rescue on Giant. Therefore I really only have 23 or 24 hiking days left unless I do something like W-A-I on one Monday and Marshall the next. Two Mondays for a hike that would be easy to do in a day. Plus a couple of extra hiking days if I take that week off. Of note is Allen-N.River put together. For those I would ski as much as possible to save time and effort and be ready to do a lot of hiking in the dark after Allen (2nd peak).
          This weekend, might be the hardest of all. Taking advantage of the conditions I'm going to attempt the Sawtooths and Sentinels across 4 days.
          Last edited by Neil; 02-01-2018, 02:38 PM.
          Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Neil
            Neil commented
            Editing a comment
            I said that workload (or peaks remaining) was not the way to look at it. percent of hikes, peaks or workload done or remaining are of secondary importance. The only meaningful measure for me is how many hikes I have left and how many hiking days to do them in. I come up with 20 hikes and if I stretched it a bit on Mondays, which I would if need be, 30 days to do them in.

Regarding the peak count, I did want to be at 50 by end Jan. I just liked the idea of it.

Something else that is in my favor. I'm definitely getting stronger as this project progresses. On day 4 of last weekend I made it up Big Slide with no feeling of effort by controlling my pace (nose breathing) in 2h30 which included 30 minutes taking pics.

This coming w/end will be a big test. Pace is key.

• CatskillKev
            CatskillKev commented
            Editing a comment
            Getting stronger is the most important factor. The alternative is not fun with a big workload ahead.

As you know I wasn't going by peaks done. Just going by your estimate of 40% done. But anyway, sounds like you're doing ok, or even quite well.

• Neil
            Neil commented
            Editing a comment
            One final note. If I am not done by March 21 I'm going to keep going until I am done.

That 40% estimate I "pulled out of a hat". It might actually be 47.259% In fact, impossible to calculate or determine in a meaningful way. Avalanche should have been fairly easy but it was over the top difficult. 2h30 m to go 400 yards.
            Last edited by Neil; 02-01-2018, 04:22 PM.

The 5 Sawtooths, in Two days

Spot Follow Me

Here is his list of hikes as it stands right now:

5. L. Moose, Cellar
          6. Wakely
          8. Wright, Alg, Iro, Marshall
          9. Street, Nye
          10. Gray-Sky-Marcy-HaBaSa
          11. Slide*
          12. Kilburn-Stewart-Sentinel
          13. 3 Santas-Henderson
          14. L. Santa
          15. Allen, N. River
          16. Twin Blue Ridges 90 & 99
          17. Hoffman-Blue Ridge
          18. Snowy-Lewey

Comment

We can't say "I" if WE're using technology and a bunch of other people on every hike. If you want to say I, then you have to address this from the very beginnings, but you know that. To me, a lot goes into I. To call this an I would be wrong. I do appreciate a good I though.
            I might be kidding...

Comment

Another way to analyze the effort would be to keep track of the hours thus far, and the guess at how many hours remain. This is quite the (extended) weekend warrior kind of thing. Fatigue might be a factor. :-)
              I might be kidding...

Comment

Another one to note as I'm sure all parties are aware of already is Wakely. Trail and tower closed. As with Gore, will Wakely require special permissions? Been wanting to get that checked off for a while now myself. I've read it will be re-opened tentaviely in 2018 but have not seem anything solid in print yet.

Comment

Wakely trail is closed but not the mtn. If you whack W. from Cellar you incur less elly loss than if you descend to the road from Cellar and then ascend W.

Comment

• salt
                  salt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well then... Guess that clears that up. Less elevation loss as well, sounds like a win win.

The latest on Neils expedition. He now has 10 more peaks behind him.

https://project100singlewinter.wordp...uary-16-17-18/

Spot Follow Me

Here is his list of hikes as it stands right now:

5. L. Moose, Cellar
                6. Wakely
                8. Street, Nye
                9. HaBaSa
                10. Slide*
                11. Kilburn-Stewart-Sentinel
                12. Santanoni
                13. L. Santa
                14. Allen, N. River
                15. Twin Blue Ridges 90 & 99
                16. Hoffman-Blue Ridge
                17. Snowy-Lewey

Comment

Steady progress:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	10WInter HH progress 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	484008
                  Attached Files

Comment

If I understand, the blue line should rise above the red one or at least keep pace with it..

Comment

• Yury
                      Yury commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes (at least on the last day of Canadian/US winter).

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                    If I understand, the blue line should rise above the red one or at least keep pace with it..
                    In other word, if the graphic shows the real difficulties of the project , you are about a week ahead of schedule, if all summit are equal in difficulty.......
                    8000m 0/14

Comment

• Yury
                      Yury commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Unfortunately we know that some summits are more equal. :(
                  Working...
                  X