Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 100 Begins!

And so it begins!

Today is the start for Neil Luckhurst in his quest to hike the 100 highest in a single winter season. We all wish him the best in this fundraising quest. Follow along with him, and see where he is going...

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...kuAZSxDhLgBApd

I will post all updates of his challenge (that link to his Blog) in this topic.
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

So Moose, McKenzie & then Pitchoff today?
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 237/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

• NumNum
      NumNum commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, just waiting for his report too post.

For me, the link comes up with a black screen saying "no messages to display".

I can vouch for M&M. After that I had the sense to call it a day and go home.

Comment

Day 1 of Neils fundraising event, from December 22, 2017:

https://project100singlewinter.wordp...ember-22-2017/
      If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
        There is a page where we are uploading the spot maps after a hike. The track log is then cleared so the spot will zoom in on the next days hike.

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/project100/

There is a Hike Selection menu in the upper right. There is also a search feature, which will probably be more useful later in the winter when the hike menu starts to fill up.
        ADKHP Wiki

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post

I can vouch for M&M. After that I had the sense to call it a day and go home.
          Looks like a great day though! Joe, how do you think the arctic blast coming in will affect things?

looks like hes headed to Whiteface and Esther today, probably a crap day for hiking.
          ADK 46/46W, Grid 237/552
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

The "making tracks" picture looks like Neil using 30 inch snowshoes. If so, which kind did he acquire and did the trail condition force his snowshoe to tip inward?
            I might be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by CatskillKev View Post
              The "making tracks" picture looks like Neil using 30 inch snowshoes. If so, which kind did he acquire and did the trail condition force his snowshoe to tip inward?
              Sorry, Kev. We all were wearing MSR evo snowshoes. Snow levels were only1 to 2 feet for most of the day with a firm base beneath.

Sean---WF & E were chosen to have a bail-out option since rising temperature and rain were likely. If he decides not do something else in the afternoon, at least he put points on the board.

Comment

• Makwa
                Makwa commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like he decided to press on. Morgan will be crossed off shortly.

• mastergrasshopper
                mastergrasshopper commented
                Editing a comment
                In MSR we trust not to bust !!
                When Joe and I hike with Neil we insist he wear MSR so as to not ruin our very lucrative sponsorship with MSR HaHa.
                In reality Neil is going to wear some 30 inch tubbs he is borrowing from a former single winter season finisher. Waiting for deeper snow.

Spot pooped out just below Morgan it looks like. The rain turned to snow just before we left the trail and we summited in fading daylight. Snowed fairly hard all the way out. Rained lightly most of the day. The snow on the short whack of Morgan was about a foot deep and very wet. With cold weather moving in and the hard freeze of the now-wet snow I might do Saddleback-Jay next and see how that goes. Other options: Avalanche, Lost Pond Peak, Lower Range, Phelps-T-Top-Colden. Nothing huge, no need to go onto far-away and/or exposed summits.
              Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

Day 2: A miserable day out there for sure, but you got 3 more.

https://project100singlewinter.wordp...gan-mountains/

Comment

Really enjoyed the project100 website and I wish you the best in this very ambitious project!

Comment

Neils editorial has been added to each blog.

Comment

SPOT is live again! Neil is on his way to Jay Mountain. Looks like a beautiful day for that summit.
                      ADK 46/46W, Grid 237/552
                      Photos & Stuff

Comment

• Makwa
                        Makwa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks like Saddleback from the south first. Just crossed over Frenyea Mt and heading toward the lesser-known Saddleback of the ADKHH.

• autochromatica
                        autochromatica commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes indeed, thanks Makwa

• moosebeware
                        moosebeware commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's a great bushwhack...pretty open. And short. I ran into some blowdown on the backside of Frenyea, but then again, I'm not Neil.

A bitterly cold day for Neil and crew, yesterday. They met their goal. Today is even colder, and what peaks will he get today? Click on Spot and follow along!

https://project100singlewinter.wordp...jay-mountains/

Comment

• Yury
                        Yury commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Is there a progress summary list or a map somewhere on the Internet?

• NumNum
                        NumNum commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Funny you should ask. I'm working on adding such a gadget to the blog page.

• Makwa
                        Makwa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        See post #5 by Kyler

Looks like Neil's SPOT threw in the towel at 8:00 AM. Kind of tough to give it a clear view of the sky AND keep it warm on a bitterly cold day.

FWIW, the mobile version of Neil's blog puts the SPOT link at the very bottom of a very long page (containing an ever-growing list of his trip reports).

SPOT link:

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...kuAZSxDhLgBApd

Looking for Views!

Comment

• Makwa
                        Makwa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The final tally was the Wolfjaws, Armstrong, Gothics, and Sawteeth.
                    Working...
                    X