Project 100 improved peak groupings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 100 improved peak groupings

I've come up with a new (and improved) peak breakdown. Each line would represents one hike. This yields a total of 40 hikes.

In no particular order:

PERMISSION PEAKS:
    Dun Brook (with Blue Mtn.)
    Sunrise
    Wolf Pond, Boreas
    Gore (ie. permission to go up and down the ski runs)
    TRANSPORTATION PEAKS (IE. SNOWMOBILE)
    Pillsbury , Blue Ridge 56
    L. Moose, Cellar
    Wakely
    Buell, Panther, Brown Pond
    ALL THE REST
    Wright, Alg, Iro, Street, Nye
    Lost Pond Peak
    Dix Range
    DNCB
    Cascade-Porter Pitchoff
    McN, Wallface
    Saddleback, Jay
    Moose-McKenzie
    Green-Giant-RPR
    Avalanche-Colden
    TR-Phelps-T-top-Redfield-Cliff
    Gray-Sky-Marcy-HaBaSa
    B. Slide-Lower Range to Sawteeth
    Slide
    Kilburn-Stewart
    Sentinel
    Morgan-WF-Esther
    Sawtooth 4-2-(1)
    Sawtooth (1)-5-3 (Coreys to Averyville maybe for just 5-3)
    3 Santas-Henderson
    L. Santa
    Hurricane-Noonmark
    4 Sewards
    Allen-Adams
    Calamity-Marshall
    Fishing Brook 1&2
    N. River-Cheney
    Twin Blue Ridges 90 & 99
    Puffer
    Hoffman-Blue Ridge
    Lyon-Averill
    Snowy-Lewey
    Last edited by Neil; 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM.

Neil: How are you tackling Wakely? Last I checked the fire tower AND the trail are closed until further notice. Tower is unstable and in danger of toppling over in high winds. Work to be done on it in 2018 to replace footings. The summit is a few hundred feet from the tower so no danger if you're only there to tag the high point but does the trail closure mean stay away altogether?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9200.html

Comment

I'll have to check that out this winter. Worst case, I sub in another peak although in winter I doubt there would be any problem in doing the trail to the clearing then turning around. Could always bushwhack over to the trail so there wouldn't be a broken trail right from the TH that could entice anyone up.

Comment

So you're deciding against the Sucker Brook Trail for Blue Ridge #56? It's much easier from the Pillsbury side anyway...
        From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Comment

Originally posted by nickUSA View Post
          So you're deciding against the Sucker Brook Trail for Blue Ridge #56? It's much easier from the Pillsbury side anyway...
          Yep. Saw that this w/end and found a great route up BR. From Sucker Brook there would be a lot of elly loss.

Comment

Hurricane ?

Comment

Originally posted by mastergrasshopper View Post
              Hurricane ?
              Good thing you caught that or I'd have ended up only doing 99 peaks.

Comment

The great thing is with Hurricane's new found increase in popularity, it's almost guaranteed to be packed out for your ascent. 3 vehicles there today, in hideous pouring rain hypothermia weather...

Comment

When conditions are not conducive to bushwhacking or when I need to grab a quick and easy one peaks like Hurricane, Noonmark, Cascade-Porter and Pitchoff come readily to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Makwa View Post
                    Neil: How are you tackling Wakely? Last I checked the fire tower AND the trail are closed until further notice. Tower is unstable and in danger of toppling over in high winds. Work to be done on it in 2018 to replace footings. The summit is a few hundred feet from the tower so no danger if you're only there to tag the high point but does the trail closure mean stay away altogether?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9200.html
                    From the DEC website:
                    Wakely Mountain Trail remains closed until further notice due to safety concerns with the Wakely Mountain Fire Tower. The fire tower was closed to public access in December 2016 due to structural deficiencies. The condition of the tower has worsened and it is possible the tower may collapse in heavy winds. DEC plans to replace all of the footings in 2018. (2017)
                    The bold emphasis is theirs. It is the trail and tower that are closed, not the mountain. I would have to break trail anyway so I will most likely bushwhack this peak, maybe from Cellar.

Comment

Hate to give you more work... but Snowy? Blue? (@Blue Mtn Lake), Noonmark? Lewey?

That'll make 100.

Comment

Originally posted by ADKevin View Post
                        Hate to give you more work... but Snowy? Blue? (@Blue Mtn Lake), Noonmark? Lewey?

That'll make 100.
                        Thanks. Dunno how I missed all those peaks. They were on my hand-written sheet. I better count up the number of hikes again.
                        Last edited by Neil; 10-31-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I see you're wondering what to pair Blue Mtn with. Puffer might be the logical choice. Short drive from Blue Mt Lake to Indian Lake and it's the only single hanging out there that wont take a full day.

Comment

• Makwa
                            Makwa commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Blue after anything will be a short one for you. Not sure when you were up there last but it's well-traveled even in winter. And pretty darn hard to make a bad turn. I'm guessing an hour in each direction at your typical pace. I did it last winter with a friend who was on snowshoes for the first time ever and at his slow-ish pace we did the round-trip in three hours.

• Neil
                            Neil commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Could always do Puffer and Gore on the same day. Gore will likely be done very early in the morning so could drive over to Kings Flow for Puffer afterwards.

• Makwa
                            Makwa commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Good idea. They're only maybe 20 or so miles apart and it collapses two days on your itinerary down into one.

I have obtained permission for the Elk Lake Peaks (no need to do any convoluted and arduous whacks, as in Sunrise from West Mill or Macomb.) and almost have permission for Gore. I'm working on Dun Brook, which might be a little tougher. Also working on lining up snowmobile transport for MRP and Sled Harbor. I was just in there and would really prefer not to ski in and out on those roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                            I have obtained permission for the Elk Lake Peaks (no need to do any convoluted and arduous whacks, as in Sunrise from West Mill or Macomb.) and almost have permission for Gore. I'm working on Dun Brook, which might be a little tougher. Also working on lining up snowmobile transport for MRP and Sled Harbor. I was just in there and would really prefer not to ski in and out on those roads.
                            I would liked to tag along with you on those Elk Lake peaks.

Let me know next winter.
                            8000m 0/14

Comment

Working...
                            X