Call for hiking partners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for hiking partners

This is a call for hiking partners to join me as I attempt to hike ONE HUNDRED PEAKS in a single winter season. http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/newsite/adk100-main.htm

The ADK-Hundred Highest list of peaks starts right at the top with Mount Marcy, works its way through the 46 and continues for 54 more peaks for a total of 100. Remember that 60 of the peaks from the list are trailed so if bushwhacking in winter is not your thing, that's not an issue.

As some of you know, I enjoy coming up with big hiking projects. There was Project 46 in February of 2014 when I hiked the 46 High Peaks in 10 days. https://neilluck.wordpress.com/backg...-this-project/ Next was Project Full Deck in the summer of 2017. https://project52playingwithafulldec...ess.com/about/

Both of these projects were fund raisers and through the two of them we raised over $20,000 for the ADK High Peaks Foundation. Just as importantly, both of these projects had a strong community orientation and we involved as many people as possible. Our goals have always been to bring people from the hiking community together through various activities and projects.

For a quick resume of what the ADK High Peaks Foundation has achieved over the years, thanks to grass roots initiatives such as Project-100, follow this link
    http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...848#post471848

So, if you are interested in accompanying me on any portion of this special winter-long fund-raising event let me know here or via private message and I will add you to the Project 100 page I've created.

I can contribute moral support, at least. I have no experience in badass winter conditions, so I'll watch from the sidelines. Go Neil!
    46er #9404
    Pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/145945713@N02/
    http://www.athikerpictures.org/syste...jpg
    https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/

Comment

Not sure if I've missed something, but do you have an itinerary and routes yet?
      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyFishingandBeer View Post
        Not sure if I've missed something, but do you have an itinerary and routes yet?
        No, and I won't be making an itinerary in advance because my itinerary will be dictated to me week to week (day by day?) largely by the snow and weather conditions.

Comment

i would be interested in tagging along and helping pack down some snow. i am up for almost anything. would be glad to visit most of the 46, and a few of the other 54 stand out to me too. the indian lake area peaks (i have family near there) and little santa, henderson, and wallface in particular come to mind.

Comment

I might tag along for a few of the easy hikes
            but only if you let me break trail in 2 ft of fresh snow
            And only if you agree to wear MSR's

Comment

I can do some.
              Don

Comment

I may be able to help break a trail or two or a non trail for that matter
                "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

I'd be game for some hikes...Allen is always nice in the winter
                  -veggielasagna

Comment

Count me in for a Thursday. Bushwack preferred.

Comment

Count me in!

Comment

I'm in also...bushwhacking or otherwise...
                        #8335W, Solo 46W
                        NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
                        Half Dome, 2009

Comment

We are going to focus on ADK fire towers this winter. A few of the ADKHH have fire towers, so we might be able to join you for a few.
                          Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
                          Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
                          Past President Catskill 3500 Club
                          CEO Views And Brews!

Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
                            We are going to focus on ADK fire towers this winter. A few of the ADKHH have fire towers, so we might be able to join you for a few.
                            I understand that for the winter FT patch you don't have to do them all. Ie. Pillsbury, Wakely and Gore are difficult in winter due to unplowed roads, ski resorts so little chance of a broken trail. (Of course, until further notice, the Wakely trail is currently closed).

Comment

• Makwa
                              Makwa commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It's the same requirement no matter the season. You only have to get 23 of the 30 fire towers to officially complete the challenge.

Originally posted by Neil View Post

I understand that for the winter FT patch you don't have to do them all. Ie. Pillsbury, Wakely and Gore are difficult in winter due to unplowed roads, ski resorts so little chance of a broken trail. (Of course, until further notice, the Wakely trail is currently closed).
                            Claudia and I did Pillsbury the first day of winter two years ago (report on the Forum). The majority of the road route we took was packed down by snowmobiles. We skied. You can ski all the way to the turn off off the so-called Military Road at Sled Harbor if they are snowmobiling.

The next year Claudia and Trek4DM hiked the Perkins Clearing Road to the Military Road to do Pillsbury. Claudia and I didn't do that because two years ago there was logging and the Perkins Clearing road was plowed and didn't look skiable. So we had to take a longer route and that had some pretty thrilling (up and) downhills I might say.

I wanted to do Wakely next by skiing to the turnoff. But now that it's closed it's off.

Don

P.S. No use getting the winter patch if you don't do all of 'em IMO. I understand the limitations at Gore since the trail is via the ski trails at the upper elevations.

Comment

Working...
                            X