Grace Peak from 73 via Bouquets, Sunday, 1/21/18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grace Peak from 73 via Bouquets, Sunday, 1/21/18

Dag Nabbit!! I just finished typing up a full trip report, and when I tried to return to it after looking for how to post photos, it was gone. Only the first sentence had been automatically saved.
    So,
    I hadn't seen any reports of people going in this way, so I knew I might have to find my own way all the way, and break trail in some deep snow at elevation.
    Along the S. Bouquet I met two men returning from Grace. They said that 10 people had stomped down the route the day before. Their route made what I thought was too many crossings of the SB. The ice bridges were supportive enough, but the many collapsed sections of ice were sobering.
    Off the beaten path the snow was very supportive (I was wearing 30" Havlick snowshoes the whole day), though I don't remember if I tried it between the slide and the Grace/SD col. Some pole pokes in that section hinted that it too would be supportive.
    Thawing and heavy rain are forecast, which can sometimes erase visible signs of tracks, but also further consolidate the snow everywhere. And undermine the ice bridges! After the thaw and rain, single digits are forecast. That could produce, worst case, a bulletproof crust. Crampons might be necessary.
    Mark
    A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work.

Remaining Winter NE115 peaks as of 3/11/10:

[None]
    Yes!!!

I always write TR's in a text editor saving as I go. Then I copy-paste into a forum post. Agreed about the potential need for serious traction this coming w/end.
    Project-100: 100 peaks, one winter. https://project100singlewinter.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks for that advice Neil. It's so long since I've posted a full trip report that I'd forgotten that I'd decided on a similar plan: I would write the report in my hiking log, then copy it to the forum.
      Mark
      A bad day in cripplebrush is better than a good day at work.

Remaining Winter NE115 peaks as of 3/11/10:

[None]
      Yes!!!

Comment

Working...
      X