A Wedge to The Jaws 18-01-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wedge to The Jaws 18-01-18

Clarification: This describes the Wedge Brook trail to Lower Wolf Jaws (not a brawl on the Ausable Club golf course).

The Lake Road was fine for snowshoes or skis, topped with a few inches of crunchy snow, lightly compacted by numerous snowmobile+sled tracks.

The trail from the road to the Canyon Bridge featured snow with good traction and some 'give' for comfort. Lots of water flow and iceworks at the crossing (see pic below). North of the bridge the stairs up the river bank are now a slippery wood-edges-in-the-hard-snow hybrid.

The Wedge Brook cascades have transformed into a series of ice sculptures - no open water on this day.

The Wedge Brook trail to Wolf Jaws col was easy to follow and in great condition, with a few inches of light crunchy-not-sticky snow end-to-end, easing passage over even the icy spots. The long stretches of steeply inclined path always make me thankful for the ascenders on my snowshoes! With the trees bare the trail offers fine perspectives on Noonmarks burn area, Giant and the scenery south.

From the col to the summit there was the usual exposed ice, hard enough that the snowshoe crampon teeth were overmatched. Thankfully there are convenient dig-in points and handholds to make it up and down safely (OK a few moves probably looked like drunken Ice Capades).

Happy trails folks.

Thanks Brian
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

Thank you SummitHat.

Comment

Working...
      X