Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong 1-13-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong 1-13-18

Climbed these with friend Gail today. She needed for Winter 46.

Walked to the end of the Lake Road and then up the Weld Trail. Out and back to Sawteeth. Then over Pyramid to Gothics and then and out and back to Armstrong. About 2+ inches of new snow after the rain with exceptions of slight drifting in places Nothing remotely near the 12+ that had been in some forecasts. Trails are firm as long as you can stay in the pre-rain track. I had no problem doing that today as there as subtle trench depression most of the way. Get off the pre-rain track and you go knee deep. North side of Pyramid was very scratchy. All the drainages were running high and we got wet snowshoes once not far above Rainbow Falls. Small cornice on Gothics. We enjoyed the descent down the trail to Beaver Meadow Falls. That is not usually the case on this steep rocky trail, but then today all the rocks were covered and the snowfall made for nice glissading. Overall good conditions, still.

Don .

How were the ladders at the top of Beaver Meadow? Thinking about just Gothics and Armstrong Via BM this Saturday.

Comment

Yes there is a ladder at Beaver Meadow. To the left of the falls. The rungs was clear.
      Don

Comment

Thank you. I was speaking of the ladders up high just prior to the col between Gothics and Armstrong? The infamous ones that you climb down to go up. TIA

Comment

I guess I consider what you refer to as 'The Infamous One' as what's the tallest one that is in-between Armstrong and Upper Wolf Jaw. Don't know about that one. If you mean to climb it and if you have an ice axe you might bring it along to clear out the snow and ice between the steps.

On the climb from Beaver Meadow to the col between Armstrong and Gothics. One ladder that is flat against a slab was party buried in ice and snow but we got far enough up steps to get out. If your just climbing to the col the rock was iced up beside it and you could slide down beside it. The second is straight up and down and was clear of ice and snow. There's even a little ladder too. Also clear of ice and snow.

Don

Comment

Perfect, thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X