Colvin-Blake Dec 5 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colvin-Blake Dec 5 2017

Strange weather today: warm at the trailhead (9C/48F), rain all day, damaging winds: just right for testing hiking moisture control gear. (Verdict: mine will not withstand a typhoon. )

The Lake Road began the day frost-heaved & icy and ended up soft & soggy. The warm temps and ceaseless precipitation transformed the snow to saturated mush at all altitudes. When the next freeze comes expect many of the High Peaks trails to become icy entertainment. A photo of a typical trail segment is attached.

My old Merrill Isotherm boots gripped the soggy snow well: barebooting was fine for most of the ascent. Microspikes worked well on the soft ice elsewhere, and made for a surefooted, speedy return.

As the snow depth was less than 8" everywhere, the snowshoes were sightseers start to finish.

With the substantial rain and meltwater, expect higher water levels and flow rates at crossings throughout the Park.
    Last edited by SummitHat; 12-06-2017, 02:26 AM.

WOW, that was crazy windy yesterday. What a year for odd weather.
    If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled ~ Red Skelton

Comment

• SummitHat
      SummitHat commented
      Editing a comment
      Odd indeed. I expect the frequent severe weather has upped the demand for folks with your Emergency Response organizational expertise!
      Looking forward to the next time we can share the trail.

• NumNum
      NumNum commented
      Editing a comment
      It has had an impact.

That would be fun, till we meet again!

Brian, Monday was such a nice day to hike. But I expect you know that.....

Comment

• SummitHat
      SummitHat commented
      Editing a comment
      Alas, Monday I chose to fulfill family commitments.

I prefer nice days, and appreciate the challenging ones for the wisdom acquired.

Hey Stranger....Glad to see you out, been a long time
    Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Comment

• SummitHat
      SummitHat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mentor - much too long: IIRC late August 2015 atop Skylight with MtnManJohn.

There are points on so many trails that bring smiles in remembrance of things that happened on our hikes. From meeting you and Jim at the moment I finished my first round, my mental map of the High Peaks has been decorated with a lot of HOL highlighting. Can't wait to catch up on things when next our paths align.

• Highonlife
      Highonlife commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't wait for that day either...when you mentioned Jim and I ...really brought smiles to my face and seeing you and the famous hat All my best HOL

Brian, good to see you are still out tramping around in the peaks. Sad to say, it's been way too long for us. Perhaps one day this winter.......
    Merry Christmas, health and happiness to you and yours.
    Moo and Mr. Moo too
    HPHikingmoo

Comment

Good to see you, Brian. Its been a long time. Have a very Merry Christmas.
      Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

Working...
      X