Nippletop & Dial, 8/19/2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nippletop & Dial, 8/19/2017

Lots of mud after torrential rains on Friday. It rained for a time on Saturday morning as well. Ran into lots of newbies in cotton.

New bridging around Elk Pass was fantastic! Thank you trail crews!!

Climb up Elk Pass still my favorite...did the mile in 41 min (a new PR for me) and a total of 1:14 from the C&B jct to Nippletop summit (also a PR).

Ran into Great Expectations on Dial summit. Nice to see you again.

Took Gravestone Brook bushwhack out. Compass on an east bearing was perfect and no pine needles in nefarious places this time.

Two peaks left for my summer round. Looking forward to winter.
    #8335W, Solo 46W
    Four Season 31/46
    46 Grid 256/552
    NE 111 113/115

One list may be done, but the journey is far from over...
    Half Dome, 2009

Congrats, Chris! You should be the High Peaks Queen.
    Nothing like being in the woods.

http://www.gerardsadirondackpics.shutterfly.com

Comment

• moosebeware
      moosebeware commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. We already have one. Her name is Janet Stein. I'll settle for Princess any day.

Rain. Rgh. We stood in Panther Gorge near the top cliff from 8 am until 10 am waiting for the weather to clear before walking out by 2:30 pm. After Johnny Kay's rpt on having a consistent rain on Whiteface we figured it was the ultra-humid air being pushed by the southerly breeze off Elk Lake and Lake Placid (respectively) that created the 'Adam's Family' stationary raincloud over each. Figure Gothics was probably unpleasant as well. Mtn. weather!
    May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Originally posted by moosebeware View Post

Nice to hear, although not wading through there during high water may invoke a sense of nostalgia.

After this muddy summer I'm also looking forward to winter. Hope to see you out there again sometime.

Comment

Heading there this weekend, glad to hear they've finally done something.
        ADK 46/46W, Grid 232/552
        Photos & Stuff

Comment

• NorthBay
          NorthBay commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey me too!!

I almost did DNCB on Saturday. Would maybe have met you. Instead I did Algonquin-Iroquois-Colden. Fairly quiet down to and around L. Colden due to the trail closure through Av Lake. Many ladders/stairs now on the steeper slabs on Colden.

Comment

• moosebeware
          moosebeware commented
          Editing a comment
          That would have been fun, we could have bushwhacked together!

Ran into Great Expectations on Dial summit. Nice to see you again.
        same moose. last i saw you was further up the ridge so i suppose i'll meet you on bear den next in about a year and a half. my 5th time on D/N and still clockwise every time for me.

a few minutes of very light drizzle but no real rain all day. really pleasant afternoon weather. noonmark burn and fhc / indian head all to ourselves.

Comment

Working...
        X