Whiteface and Esther

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteface and Esther

Was looking to hike Whiteface and Esther on Monday or Tuesday. Anybody know the condition of the trails. Or what those trails are like after lots of rain?

My guess is WF will be ok, Esther a bog

Comment

I imagine the soggiest spot will be along the Wilmington Trail in the saddle between Whiteface and Lookout mountains. Here's how it appeared in May and I imagine it won't be any drier:

Soggy. by Taras D, on Flickr

FWIW, ​I plan to hike on Sunday and it'll be either Whiteface & Esther or Big Slide.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

• jkauff73
        jkauff73 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you end up doing WF/E let me know how it is.
        Would you do it from reservoir or ASRC?

• Trail Boss
        Trail Boss commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably from the ASRC.

Hiked Esther and Whiteface from the ASRC today (Jul 1). Trails were damp to wet with the expected muddy stretches on the Esther ridge. After the Zander Scott trail to Giant, this may be the best peaks to hike in wet conditions. If the forecast is to be believed, conditions should be improving from now.

Comment

Hiked them yesterday morning from ASRC. Wet and muddy, of course, but certainly could have been worse. Completely "doable" despite the extended wet weather. Both have some longish bog / pit areas, but most can be hopped with the stones or limbs that are present. Nothing like Trail Boss's photo. No visibility at 11:30 - noon when we were at Whiteface summit.

Was my first time, #10/11for me, and hope to get a trip report up soon.

Comment

jkauff73
          ​All the rain that resulted in the DEC's warnings about trail closures must've missed Whiteface. Ditto to what Thomas and aortadax said. Hiked the two peaks today and, aside from being thoroughly muddy, there was nothing exceptional to write home about. No washed out sections of trail, no standing pools of water, no cascades along the Marble Mountain Trail, no drama, phooey! Just lots of chocolate pudding in all the usual places.

Dozens of people on the trail today. Kept crossing paths with the same hikers throughout the day. About 15 cars at the ASRC when I rolled in at around 9:30 AM. Early morning forecast said cloud ceiling was 2200 feet so I purposely got a late start so they'd lift by the time I reached Whiteface (the plan worked). Lots of people on the summit including a couple who finished their first round (eager celebrants awaiting).

It was my 11th visit to TouristTop and Blunder. I made pretty good time (3h 15m from ASRC to Esther then Whiteface) so that should tell you something about the trail conditions. Have fun in the mud and be sure to bring a washrag and a change of clothes!
          Looking for Views!

Comment

• jkauff73
            jkauff73 commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you describe the trip from ASRC to the main trail? Where to access from the parking lot? It's not a marked trail right?

The Marble Mountain Trail is not marked but, given its eroded condition, is very obvious.

https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=7221551

​Park at a pull-off along the eastern side of Marble Mountain Lane. Next to a wooden bench, an unnamed trail descends to intersect the ASRC Service Road. Follow the road down to a clearing, cross the clearing (passing an abandoned generator/radio-transmitter station) and head straight up Marble Mountain. You'll be following the straight-line path of an old ski lift so you'll see several concrete foundations along the way.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=4...85738&layers=N

​When you return, don't mistake the snowmobile trail in the first bend for the foot trail (see map). You want the trail in the second bend, higher up the hill.
          Looking for Views!

Comment

• jkauff73
            jkauff73 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maps were great. Thanks for the help.
        Working...
        X