Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lean-to on ore bed brook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean-to on ore bed brook

Can anyone tell me if there is still a lean-to on the ore bed brook trail. They seem to be removing them. Also is there ample room to set up 3 tents near there?

As of March, there was a lean-to on the east side of the Ore-bed trail about one mile south of five corners. I've never explored the tent situation but the woods are fairly open in the area so you would likely find the spots.

Comment

Yes and yes.
      It's not about winning, but the rivers you cross.

Comment

Thank you. Another question... do you know if the wolf jaws lean-to is still there? Planning a triple crown hike. That may be a better spot.

Comment

Both lean-tos exist. WolfJaw Lean-to has a designated campsite nearby. The limit is 2-3 tents per campsite within 15 feet of the "Camp Here" marker.

Orebed Brook Lean-to: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=4...4674/-73.86280

Wolf Jaw Lean-to: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=4...5459/-73.85019

BTW, why do you say "they seem to be removing them [lean-tos]"? Where did you get this (incorrect) information?
          Looking for Views!

Comment

• heNBA
            heNBA commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm probably wrong. They're are a few instances where in my high peaks trail book that list lean-tos that aren't there i.e. slant rock. I did see designated campsite around jbl were no longer legal to camp. I just want to be sure before I go there. That's why I posted because folks like you know a lot more than I do. Thank you for your help.

• Trail Boss
            Trail Boss commented
            Editing a comment
            The Slant Rock Lean-to was moved to higher ground.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=4...2754/-73.90017

Thanks. I have never seen openstreetmap. Very cool. You are the boss!

Comment

Ore Bed: As of August 2016 there were three separate designated tent sites uphill from the Lean-to, each site having capacity for multiple tents; also a newish "thunderbox" privy nearby.
            See here: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/OreBedBrookLeanto
            -Joe

Comment

There have been several lean-tos "removed" and relocated away from the trail and water in recent years. Slide Brook and Bushnell Falls comes to mind right away but I'm sure there are many, many others. I can see how this could be confusing when it comes to guide books.

I suppose that's why I typically rely on maps and UMP's and understand that they are never complete or "up to date" for very long.

Comment

There used to be L-T's at Indian Falls, 4 Corners and on a grassy knoll below Marcy. There also used to be one at Bear Brook not far from the Garden. All have gone the way of the do-do bird. :-)
                Project Full Deck Blog.
                Make a "Full-Deck" Donation to SAR

Comment

• bfinan0
                  bfinan0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How long ago did 4 Corners have one? I can't imagine the usage issues there between crowding and elevation but it must have been beautiful

• Trail Boss
                  Trail Boss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe it was there several decades. The High Peaks UMP was ratified by the early 70's and, by the mid 70's, lean-tos above 3500 feet were removed.

• bfinan0
                  bfinan0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Makes sense. I must not have had anywhere near an up to date or accurate map in 2007 when I was there! Climbed Marcy in a torrential rain and looked for the lean-to between Lake Tear and Four Corners, found no sign of anything

Has any work been done to the Bradley Pond LT? I was there 5-6 years ago and its privy was falling apart and nasty, in addition to being right in front of the LT...pleasant.... I heard talk that the LT (and new privy) would be relocated.

Sno_bird also gone- one of the elevation-killed ones (Indian Falls, 4 Corners, Plateau, et al). Don't know why Bear Brook is gone.

Comment

In 1978, when I first set foot in the High Peaks, the aforementioned lean-tos, all above 3500 feet, had already been removed.

​In the early 80's, I found the remains of the Phelps Lean-to (or whatever it may have been called in its heyday). It was right next to Phelps Brook (between Marcy Dam and the junction for the Phelps Mtn Trail).

​I spent one night in the Bear Brook Lean-to (again, early 80's). I believe it was removed because it was located next to the trail. I guess it was never replaced because it was too close to the trailhead (one mile).

​Curious. Lots of people call it the Bradley Pond lean-to yet its logbook and the DEC call it the Santanoni Lean-to. I spent a night there decades ago but, strangely, I recall a view across a body of water. Either it was relocated or I'm misremembering it. Anyway. nowadays there's nothing to see except lots of tree stumps (compliments of campers unfamiliar with the "dead and down" rule).
                  Looking for Views!

Comment

The relocation of Avalanche Camp was brilliant. What was a leanto on a superhighway of a trail (passers-by literally 24-7) is now an idyllic spot up on a hill, well back from the trail.

Comment

Working...
                    X