Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reports from 5/13-14?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reports from 5/13-14?

Just curious what the peaks looked like this past weekend, and whether/how much snow I can expect to still be there by Saturday 5/20? Hoping the 85-90 degree heat forecast down here this week reaches the Adirondacks and melts whatever's left...
    ADK 46*/46 CATS 5/35 FT 4/28 Saranac 0/6 Bristol 6/6

The DEC has issued a Muddy Trail Advisory, no one is hiking in the High Peaks, especially above 2500', until it's lifted.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/110172.html
    Limped thru the Northeast 115...

Comment

If it warms up to 80s/90s it's going to make it a real mess up there.

Comment

Many "advisories" are mindlessly blanket issued based on dates and elevations, rather than on actual trail-by-trail conditions. Was most of the way up Dix from Round Pond on Saturday, as part of a 46er trail work crew. Very little mud. But many low elevation trails are a mire. (Personally, most of my hikes are bushwhacks, so mud is seldom an issue.)

Comment

• bfinan0
          bfinan0 commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't see the AMR or DNCB mentioned in the advisory, and it looks like a mostly high and dry ridge trail, so I didn't immediately dismiss going this weekend... Definitely a week to stay far away from Sewards, Redfield, etc though!

• Pathgrinder
          Pathgrinder commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the delivery of my blanket statement must have been too dry!

• bfinan0
          bfinan0 commented
          Editing a comment
          A wet blanket is the last thing I need while I try to turn this thing around and get peak #41A

I came up from Cleveland to climb Whiteface from Connery Pond this past Sunday. There was a 90% chance of rain, but we came anyways. It barely rained most of the day, but the trail itself was surprisingly dry - relatively speaking. Very little if any mud after a few sections prior to the lean to. There was a little snow/ice high up, but so little as to not even be worth talking about. I expected to be hiking a trail of running water but that was not the case. Obviously the weather conditions left the rock face more slippery then we liked, but it was doable. I have hiked on trails substantially wetter and muddier then this hike many times.
        It's not about winning, but the rivers you cross.

Comment

Working...
        X