Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiteface and Esther 2017-05-04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteface and Esther 2017-05-04

ASRC to Esther and Whiteface.
    • ​Exceedingly wet above 3500'.
    • ​Lots of running and pooled water.
    • Slushy snow.
    • ​​Mere trace of a monorail along a very short section of the Esther Trail. Mostly just very wet.
    • ​Narrow monorail present from the ski-run to the Wilmington Turn.
    • ​Plenty of compacted slippery snow directly beneath the stone wall of the Wilmington Turn.
    • ​Didn't hike along the ridge but the initial section from the auto-road looked icy.
    • Road-walked to the Castle and ascended the dry tourist-trail.
    • ​Cliffs beside the road were sheathed in rapidly melting ice (stay clear of the falling ice).
    • ​Summit has a few snowy drifts in cracks and corners, probably from a recent snowfall. Otherwise, it's bone-dry.
    • Snowpack is 99.9% gone but the forest floor was coated in 1-2" of wet snow.
    • ​Didn't use microspikes. However, they'd be helpful descending the section with a slick monorail.
    Looking for Views!

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
    ASRC to Esther and Whiteface.
    • ​Exceedingly wet above 3500'.
    • ​Lots of running and pooled water.
    • Slushy snow.
    • ​​Mere trace of a monorail along a very short section of the Esther Trail. Mostly just very wet.
    • ​Narrow monorail present from the ski-run to the Wilmington Turn.
    • ​Plenty of compacted slippery snow directly beneath the stone wall of the Wilmington Turn.
    • ​Didn't hike along the ridge but the initial section from the auto-road looked icy.
    • Road-walked to the Castle and ascended the dry tourist-trail.
    • ​Cliffs beside the road were sheathed in rapidly melting ice (stay clear of the falling ice).
    • ​Summit has a few snowy drifts in cracks and corners, probably from a recent snowfall. Otherwise, it's bone-dry.
    • Snowpack is 99.9% gone but the forest floor was coated in 1-2" of wet snow.
    • ​Didn't use microspikes. However, they'd be helpful descending the section with a slick monorail.
    Hello Trail Boss,

I guess I missed you yesterday. Not sure how.

Got started from ASRC about 9am was at Esther about 2 hours later and Whiteface after about 4 hours. Like you I walked up the road and climbed the stairs. I had passed a couple at Marble Mt. The guy had a nice SLR and they had climbed from the Reservoir. They must have turned back I didn't see them again.. And passed another couple at the ski lift that, later on, were nearing the summit as I descended the ridge. On the return I passed four people total that weren't well dressed for the weather up high. Finished the circuit in 6 1/3 hours including stops. There was yellow color vehicle at the parking area when I returned. The other vehicle, the black one, was mine.

It was interesting and wet walking in the late spring with the prior days wet snow raining down. The good part was by the time I was descending most of the wet snow had melted from the trees and I dried out before reaching my vehicle. DItto on wet...any section of the trail that was relatively level has standing or running water..

Don

Comment

I started at 11:36 AM and there was one blue car (black?) with NY plates at the ASRC.

​I saw a single set of tracks when the trail got snowy. One of the things I do when hiking alone (to pass the time) is try to figure out who owns the footsteps I see (and maybe even catch up to them). By the time I reached the Esther junction, I saw the footsteps were returning from Esther so I concluded the individual was well ahead of me.

​I thought I might catch this lone hiker on the descent but never did. Instead, I caught up to a couple at the Wilmington Turn. They were descending. She had red hair and both wore microspikes.

​After having lunch atop Whiteface I descended the way I came (via the Castle) and caught up with the couple somewhere before the Esther junction.

​I met another couple atop Marble Mountain and they looked a lot less "geared up" compared to the other two.

​I exited at 5:12 PM. The blue (black?) Mini was gone. The only other car was mine (the yellow one you saw). Therefore the other couples must have started from the Reservoir.

​I was puzzled by the lack of the "lone hiker" who I thought I was following ... but now I know there was one and it was you.

​At 1:00 PM I was just below the Esther junction. I returned from Esther to the junction at 2:18 PM. Therefore you must've passed by during that window.

​BTW, I found a red aluminum bottle at the base of the Wilmington Turn's stone wall. I brought it down as far as the second couple and the fellow said it looked like it might belong to his buddy.
      Last edited by Trail Boss; 05-05-2017, 06:29 PM.
      Looking for Views!

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, so I was already returning from Esther when you started. I didn't note the time when I returned from Whiteface to Esther junction but I did note the time when I was at ASRC-Marble Mt Junction and it was 2:51. You were still on the out and back to Esther when I was returning and passed the Esther junction.

Don
    Working...
    X