Requesting water level conditions for Johns Brook @ Bushnell Falls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting water level conditions for Johns Brook @ Bushnell Falls

If anyone has recent info I would be most grateful!

My AMC 13th ed happily suggests there is a high water bridge 125 yd from the path however my understanding from Trail Boss suggests it has been washed out since print:

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
    The Phelps Trail intersects Johns Brook southwest of Bushnell Falls. There's no bridge. It can normally be rock-hopped but it can be impassable if the water is running high. Nor is there a bridge farther upstream near Slant Rock.
    This critically changes route planning so I appreciate your insights!
    [17/46] Giant, Rocky Peak Ridge, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper Wolf Jaw, Lower Wolf Jaw, Big Slide, Cascade, Porter, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois , Marcy, Skylight, Colden, Colvin and Blake.

There is no bridge at the crossing of John's Brook near Bushnell falls. I was last there three weeks ago so have no current intel for you. I expect water levels will be high right now and crossing may or may not be possible. There is a high water bridge on Slide Brook just north of JBL that is washed out - maybe that's the bridge you're referring to?

Comment

• Trail Boss
      Trail Boss commented
      Editing a comment
      Drez is referring to a sentence in the 13th edition that says there's a high water bridge over Johns Brook (upstream of Bushnell Falls). It indicates one can cross the brook on rocks or use the bridge.

I think the crossing could be high water as Thomas says. You still have to cross Basin Brook and then Johns Brook at Slant Rock later as you continue on the Phelps Trail if you are heading to Basin, Haystack, or Marcy.

There used to be a metal grate bridge just upstream of the crossing you refer to. That is, the crossing immediately upstream of where Chicken Coop Brook joins Johns Brook. That bridge was wrecked but I don't recall the year. At one time the frame of the bridge was still there and I recall reading on this forum that some made the jungle gym style crossing using the frame. There had been a downed tree just upstream of the wrecked bridge. I crossed that tree three times. However on my last trip through there in March I looked for but didn't notice the tree all the way across the brook. I didn't investigate further.

Don

Comment

• Trail Boss
      Trail Boss commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a slide somewhere, taken in spring of 1984, of my college buddy hanging off that 'jungle gym' over a raging Johns Brook. We all made it across but it was sketchy.

• Hear the Footsteps
      Hear the Footsteps commented
      Editing a comment
      You did that? I wasn't recommending it just presenting the options.

The second time we climbed the downed tree it was the work weekend at the JBL and the workers warned us that if we fell in we'd be in a life threatening situation. Later that day we were overtaken by a group of young people at Slant Rock that claimed they had forded Johns Brook. I said (silently to myself) WOW. And later that day after re-crossing Johns Brook using the suspension bridge below the interior outpost we sat on the porch talking with two rangers who I'm sure were quite happy to have been told that that we did not see anyone camping in the spots between Johns Brook and Chicken Coop.

I did notice on an earlier trip that there may be a viable rock hop downstream of Chicken Coop Brook. There seemed to be a beaten path. It would require two crossings but maybe easier. Next time in the area I'm going to investigate.

Thank you for these updates! It sounds like I'll be planning a there and back over Saddleback and Basin to Haystack rather than loop. Retaking those summits I might just have to omit Haystack.
    [17/46] Giant, Rocky Peak Ridge, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper Wolf Jaw, Lower Wolf Jaw, Big Slide, Cascade, Porter, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois , Marcy, Skylight, Colden, Colvin and Blake.

Comment

Working...
    X