Forum Rules Statement of Purpose Membership Disclaimer Site History
Adkhighpeaks Foundation Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Wiki visit ADKForum.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seward Range - April 14/17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seward Range - April 14/17

The road is still closed from the Winter trailhead.

Dry leaves covering some mud pockets on the BBFT, Ward Brook and Calkins Brook truck trails but overall a pleasant walk. Snow cover becomes consistent at about 3000'. Above that snowshoes or some other traction is required, depending on how solid the track is. I used trail crampons for Seymour and then, as it warmed up, snowshoes for Seward, Donaldson and Emmons.

Calkins Brook was an easy crossing.

Thanks, I hadn't known that they closed the road at the winter trailhead. Crosses the Sewards off for a little while.
    ADK 46/46W, Grid 218/552
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

Nice job, Thomas! Who needs to sign up for a dinky little marathon on city streets with minimal total ascent/descent when you can do the real thing in the Sewards with more than 6000 ft of climbing?

Was there evidence of other hikers out there this month?

Comment

Thanks JoeCedar . It does come to about marathon distance but it was more like a biathlon actually since I rode my bike the six miles back and forth between the trailheads. There has been very little traffic out there - the last sign-in prior to mine was a week earlier but there was a group of three doing Seymour on this day so I didn't quite have the range all to myself.

Comment

• Trail Boss
          Trail Boss commented
          Editing a comment
          First, congrats on tackling the four peaks!

I had planned to use my bike last weekend (to head to Seymour) but chose Lyon instead. When I saw Lowenburg Road covered in snow (elevation 1600 feet) I thought I made a good choice given that Coreys Road lies at the same elevation. I don't know for sure if it was snowy but imagine the disappointment of bringing your bike only to discover you have to walk those extra 6 miles! :( People carp about the Lake Road ...

Anyway, conditions change awfully fast this time of year.

Thanks for the report Thomas. I am heading in there next weekend to play again so good to know the conditions.

Comment

Working...
        X